shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning day

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Today is our weekly cleaning day. I do most of the cleaning and I do the every day tidy-up...I delegate the jobs I don't like to my SO.
For example, I HATE unloading the dishwasher. I don't even know why. In any case, it has become SO's job. He's also good at cleaning the bathroom so he gets that job too.

How do you and your SO split up household chores?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
After living together for 3 years, we are finally in a place where we can justify paying someone to come in and clean our place. Not every week, but twice a month. This has been a total lifesaver...not because it means we don't have to clean anything, but because it forces us to pick up our stuff before the cleaning folks come.

Previously, the only time our place would get really clean would be when we'd have people over. Even then, it'd be a mad dash before a party or get-together, and often the last little things wouldn't get done. Now, we can re-create that mad dash every other week the night before the cleaners come, and then they finish everything up (vacuuming, cleaning surfaces, etc.) the net day. It might seem pretty silly, but we tend to just let random clutter and stuff pile up, and its a real incentive to get things back to somewhat-normal every 2 weeks.

I tend to leave some of the yuckier things to him though...like taking out the trash. For dishes, we switch off -- whoever cooks dinner that night means the other person gets to clean up the dishes (cooking is so much more fun when there are no pots to clean after!). Laundry is pretty equal. I probably don't do quite as much actual cleaning as he does, but I make up for it by keeping on top of the administrative stuff (I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for me, we'd have no renters insurance, our car registration would be a year out of date, and our cable would be shut off every other month!)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhat, we have been married 28 years and we work opposites schedules, he works Friday thru Sunday and I work Monday thru Thursday, he does dishes and picks up and cooks during the week and I do it on the weekends...all the "heavy" cleaning is done by me on the weekends..guess I am lucky I get the help I get lol

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Because I am currently a stay at home mum to our two children I do the majority of the cleaning at home. I tend to have a day that I do all the beds, clean out cupboards and the other things that don't need to be done everyday but to be honest, a three and a half year old and a 12 month old means that most of my time is spent picking things up off of the floor over and over again!

Mr Lottie is very untidy but he is good at coming home and pitching straight in with whatever needs doing. I hate washing up and hoovering the stairs and he is pretty good at doing these without me saying anything. He is completely banned from touching the washing machine - his talent for shrinking my clothes is incredible. When our youngest starts school I will go back to work and I think we may get some help in then to keep the balance.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1313955477|2995828 said:
Because I am currently a stay at home mum to our two children I do the majority of the cleaning at home. I tend to have a day that I do all the beds, clean out cupboards and the other things that don't need to be done everyday but to be honest, a three and a half year old and a 12 month old means that most of my time is spent picking things up off of the floor over and over again!

Same = I pick up things over and over...my kids are in school and I still am constantly picking up after them. Not only that, but it seems I'm in charge of keeping track of where all their stuff is.

I'm not a fan of the dishwasher either and we run it EVERY day! It's b/c it's summer so I cook all meals at home so we go through a lot of dishes. We don't really exactly split up chores. I do most of the housework and my husband does things like make sure when one of our electronic item flips out, he can fix it. He also does the handyman work.

A lot of stuff goes undone because I'm not into housework and DH doesn't have time! We just moved and now have white carpeting, so I'm having to vacuum every day!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I:
clean out the litter box and put a fresh liner and litter in the box once a week.
clean the bathrooms.
do all of the dusting.
sweep and wash the floors in the bathrooms and the kitchen.
do the majority of the straightening.
do all of the deep cleaning throughout the house.
do all of the filing.
change the sheets on the beds.

My husband:
scoops the litter box daily.
goes through the mail and pays the bills.
does the majority of the food shopping.
will do the vacuuming if asked.
takes the trash out.

We:
do our own laundry.
clean the kitchen. He recently declared himself the "kitchen guy" and he said he'd be in charge of unloading/loading the dishwasher and cleaning the stove and counters. He's been slacking lately though.
feed the cats.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hubby regularly:
washes and puts away dishes
puts away laundry
takes out trash/recycling
fixes things

i regularly:
do all floors, mostly vacuuming, some mopping
dust (nothing crazy just swiffer)
cook most meals
pay bills
go to laundromat

we both:
feed the cat (whoever gets up first)
grocery shop
tidy up
clean litter box

I'm pretty happy with the arrangement and if I ever need extra help I just ask.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
J does most of it, to be honest. I'm not really very good at stuff like that.

I once discovered (by accident) that J hides my gifts is at the back of the cupboard under the kitchen sink. That's where we keep all the cleaning materials, so I'm pretty much guaranteed not to go in there.

I do cook, though. Oh, and I quite like to shop for groceries, so I do that. Does that count? Our bills are all paid by direct debit, so there's nothing to do there.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do most of the work inside, DH does the work outside and in the basement. I can get him to help me to the tough or high cleaning. I 100% prefer to clean the kitchen though.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH
Gets the baby ready for daycare and drops him off
Walks the dog in the morning
Feeds the dog and the cat
Cleans the litter box (when asked)
Takes out the trash (when asked)
Vacuums (when asked)

I do
Everything else.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
We both do about the same amount, which is pretty much nothing. We got a cleaning crew two years ago and it is fabulous. We fight a LOT less. I guess a neat person and a messy person living together is tough, but two messy people is a disaster! Thank you cleaning crew for saving us from fighting everyday!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gives SO the dirty jobs. (That's what he's there for, right?!)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every other week maid service

He takes out the trash and recycle bin. I do the laundry. He helps fold. We cook over a glass of wine together and we divide the kids. His and mine whoever is free covers. It's madness with two full time careers that include travel, school, dance, scoccer, and social life but it's awesome and I do the litter box and seldom complain. Unless the cat knocks it over... I think he's eating too much kibble! The cat that is!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I do:
Sweep and mop the floors
Dust (swiffer duster)
Cook dinner
Walk the dog
My delicates load
Change and wash the sheets
Vacuum
Clean the 2nd bath
Clean the kitchen
Drop off and pick up the car for service
Give the dog baths

He does:
Feeds the dog breakfast
Dinner dishes
The master bath (when asked)
Whites & colors laundry
Comes with me on the dog's last walk of the day

We split/pick up when we can:
Taking out the trash
Feeding the dog dinner
Unloading the dishwasher

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
He kills spiders (sometimes) and assorted other bugs I don't like. Prunes the trees every few years. Prunes the barberries a couple times a year. Does most of the planting if it's big stuff b/c I can't get the spade in the dirt. Watches the kids a few hours once a week while I'm at work. Does about half the cooking. Does the big stuff around the house like drywalling and laying brick that I don't know how to do. Picks some stuff in the garden we started this year and does canning/jellies.

Everything else is mine.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We had a twice weekly cleaning service for many years. I came home early once and found....something a little disturbing being done by the cleaner. We haven't got up the nerve to employ anyone since, but we must get round to it. DH does his best, but it's not what you'd call spotless...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results