shape
carat
color
clarity

Civil Ceremony?

paris29

Shiny_Rock
I was just wondering how many of you are planning to have civil ceremonies (i believe this is the correct term). My fiance and I will have a civil ceremony July 29th.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean in addition to a religious ceremony?

I think a lot of ladies here will probably only have a civil ceremony, in the sense of getting married at a non-church venue with the officiant not being a religious representative.

paris29

Shiny_Rock
I wasn't sure of the terminology but I mean is anyone getting married at a county clerks office or even eloping?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I got legally married in a short civil ceremony at San Francisco City Hall last July with only 3 family members attending. It was nice, though I found it to be very, very short and over in a second.

However, I also had a second (non legally valid) ceremony at my destination wedding later that Summer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
paris29|1299491591|2866494 said:
I wasn't sure of the terminology but I mean is anyone getting married at a county clerks office or even eloping?

Yes, we eloped (not sure though this is the right term as to what we did) the first time 3 months before the scheduled big wedding event much to the chagrin of my family unfortunately. We did it at the boro hall county clerk's office because we were moving in together since our home was done being gut renovated and I didn't want to live together without being married. It was upsetting to my family but we did tell them before the fact. We had one friend as a witness (logistics were too difficult to have my family and my dh's family there and that is why we didn't but in retrospect I would have changed that since my family was quite upset with us about the whole thing) and a judge married us on a hot day in August. I love that we got married twice and the second time we had a religious ceremony with a rabbi and a priest in front of our loved ones and then a big reception and it was lovely.

We were the only couple who got married at the city hall that morning who were all dressed up though. People came to get married in shorts and t-shirts and I thought that was odd. I think getting married this way is perfectly valid and if it is the only way you are planning I would recommend making sure your loved ones are present at the ceremony.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We are going to have a civil ceremony before our destination wedding. I don't want to have to worry about legalities and logistics on top of all of the other wedding stuff, so it's just easier this way.

A

Anonymous

I hadn't planned on it, but probably will be having a civil ceremony because "the powers that be" have pretty much rat holed my annulment application. :angryfire:

Anyhow...

Ours will have a judge but will be the big celebration wedding. Hopefully by our anniversary next year we can have our marriage blessed in our church.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having my JOP ceremony July 20th and then my wedding ceremony in Bora Bora on July 25th. As amc80 noted, it is just so much easier to do it that way (even if some don't agree with it).

paris29

Shiny_Rock
MY fiance and I will have my parents, my uncle, his dad and his brother at the ceremony. We decided we would probably come back to our house and have something casual with our friends to celebrate. What dresses do you plan on wearing for your civil/jop ceremony?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We aren't telling anyone that we are going to the courthouse before the wedding, so everyone will thing are ceremony is the real deal. Actually I mentioned it to my mom and she thought that it was a good idea.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Yes...for health insurance purposes! The FI had just gotten laid off and then a few months later we had the real church ceremony. We actually celebrated the church ceremony anniversary.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
my civil ceremony will be on the day of the big wedding.

i have had my religious ceremony already, with only immediate family members attending

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, we would have had a civil ceremony regardless of the scale of the weedy. We eloped in northern Italy :) (incidentally, their Marriage Act is very enlightened - loved the ceremony!)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1299713897|2868491 said:
my civil ceremony will be on the day of the big wedding.

i have had my religious ceremony already, with only immediate family members attending

Rosetta, that is neat! That's a nice way to get the intimate wedding experience and the big party experience too. Any reason the religious ceremony was first though?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results