shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas Proposal Idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Techster14

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I live in Boston, but she is from Wisconsin. Her family all still live there and she doesn''t get a chance to go home to often. We have been dating for just over 2 years and I have had the idea of proposing marriage for a little while now. Since we rarely go back to Wisconsin, I thought of proposing while we are there over Christmas. First off, it would give me the chance to ask for her parents'' blessing in person and secondly and more importantly give her the opportunity to celebrate and share this special moment with her family, who she sorely misses.

My idea is to secretly add the ring box to the Christmas tree as an ornament. The box would be somewhat hidden, so only I know where it is and that it is a gift rather than just an ornament. And after all of the presents from under the tree have been handed out, I would point out that there was still one left. At that point, I would reach into the tree and pull out the ring box and present it to my girlfriend in front of her parents and sister. Then I would open it for her and propose.

The entire day, when we go from one family member''s to another, she will be able to tell the story and show off the ring. Then later that night after we''ve had Christams dinner, I am planning on surprising her by taking her to a lovely chateau on the mountains for the night where we have a quaint room with a fireplace. The room will be decorated with roses and have a bottle of champagne waiting on ice.

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a great plan. She will love it. I would wait to put the ring in the tree, that morning. Just to make sure, no one accidently sees it and puts it among the gifts. Not something you want to lose track off.

The chateau is a great touch.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know what the tradition would be for handing out the gifts in your girlfriend''s family home, but find out from her parents. In our family, we assigned one person to hand out the gifts. Let the gift distributor know where the box is located in the tree so it does not accidentally get knocked out of the branches while all of the other things are being hauled out from under the tree. Y25 is right about placing it there later rather than sooner, if you simply plan on placing the ring box in the branches. One recent posting mentioned tying the actual ring to the tree with a ribbon like an ornament. You could achieve this the night before, as long as you bury the ring directly behind some sort of ornament - preferably an ordinary glass ball that would otherwise not be inspected at close range.

I also saw somewhere that there were ornaments that were also boxes. Can''t remeber where though....

If you need help in distracting her before placing the box in the tree on Christmas morning (or before, if you go another route), ask her Mom or Dad to get her to help with some last minute kitchen duty thing, like making a fresh pot of coffee, or something equally mundane.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Or, if there is a designated gift passer-outer, get them in on it and have them do the "oh, there is one more gift" at the appropriate moment. That seems as if it would through everyone off just a step before you made it all clear.

Techster14

Rough_Rock
Yeah, that''s kind of what I was thiking. Her sister will be the one passing out the gifts. I could probably clue her in at the last moment, but not any sooner because I don''t think she''d be able to keep it secret too long. Also, I do plan on putting the ring box on the tree the night before, late at night.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results