shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas movies not to watch - post them here! A PSA thread.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So last night I accidentally stumbled into the Netflix horror that was Christmas With A View. All I can say is -

SAAAVE YOURSELVES! Don't do it!! It was wildly overacted, the script was terrible, and the characters were just plain odd. It SAID it was a Netflix movie, but it played like the worst sort of Hallmark trash.

Anyone have any other movies we should definitely avoid?

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh, now that my interest is piqued @mrs-b, I'm going to have to try it out for myself :D

My kids have put together a schedule of movies that we'll watch together in the run up to Christmas. Over the past few years I've tried to get them to sit with me and read 'A boy called Christmas' but I think they're getting too old (or I'm too uncool) for story time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Four Christmases with Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn. I adore both these actors. The movie? Dull and ridiculous.

12162A6D-6FC0-46C8-8D24-53C0054AD784.png

Sometimes though bad is just what you are in the mood for so ymmv.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

4B6B9ADC-5DE5-4D74-83E3-8994E5028DA2.png

I never saw it but listed as worst movie ever. I might check it out one day when I’m in the mood for ludicrous. It is a cult classic after all. ;-)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christmas With A View isn't bad enough to be entertaining, kwim? It's just plain bad. It's boring and insulting to anyone with a single neuron. For anyone with multiple neurons - it's torture.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christmas With A View isn't bad enough to be entertaining, kwim? It's just plain bad. It's boring and insulting to anyone with a single neuron. For anyone with multiple neurons - it's torture.

You’ve convinced me @mrs-b. The movie Room with a View however is wonderful. Amazing how that one word changes everything. Lol.

Love this thread ❤️ Great idea @mrs-b

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I looked up "Christmas with a View" and immediately caught the problem. It's a Canadian movie. I can say that, being a Canadian. Other Canadians understand the phrase "it's a Canadian movie", am I right? They are the ones that are filled with nobodies or maybe 1 D lister. They are so bad sometimes we watch them to laugh. YMMV. Not all Canadian movies fall into this category, but the made for tv ones almost always do.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant to say the correct term we use to specify is actually "Bad Canadian Movie". It's a genre onto its own really.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh we saw it. It was pretty lame. But I feel it is my DUTY to watch these ridulous movies--so I can HOHOHO out loud. Laughing make me feel good!

cheers--Sharon

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I totally agree. 2 hours (?) of my life that I’ll never get back.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
...i am temptered to say all of them :lol:
but there is one i quite like so i don't say that :lol:
i just Google's worst Christmas movies and i didn't even know most of them
i guess Christmas movie is a road i don't often travel

but im enjoying all your answers

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to watch Christmas movies-the good, bad and ugly. Sure the acting is bad and the sets contrived but I find they divert holiday stress.I like how predictable the plots are and how bad the acting is. The combination of royalty and christmas is popular. I still love Love Actually which is not a Hallmark movie.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent a couple of holiday seasons watching Hallmark movies and now I can barely get through one. I think I may have over done it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I may or may not have purchased a crème colored sweater repeatedly seen on Christmas shows:bigsmile::tongue:

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My new xmas tradition is watching all the horrible xmas movies!! So I'm adding that to my list haha.

It's a Canadian movie. I can say that, being a Canadian. Other Canadians understand the phrase "it's a Canadian movie", am I right?
LOL poor Canadian tv! There is also something about the way they are filmed. I can never put my finger on it, but Canadian TV shows (and possibly movies) just LOOK different. They are the same (or similar) as some british tv shows, but I have no idea what the difference is between the US versions and the Canadian ones.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@telephone89 It starts with us trying to guess where it's filmed, and seeing local landmarks disguised as other things. Then the accents.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for me it would be anything on the Hallmark channel with anyone from any old TV show that now makes their living making crappy movies for Hallmark. Happy Christmas @mrs-b sending buckets of love to you and yours.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
So, I looked up "Christmas with a View" and immediately caught the problem. It's a Canadian movie. I can say that, being a Canadian. Other Canadians understand the phrase "it's a Canadian movie", am I right? They are the ones that are filled with nobodies or maybe 1 D lister. They are so bad sometimes we watch them to laugh. YMMV. Not all Canadian movies fall into this category, but the made for tv ones almost always do.

Hey! I get so excited when I see a Degrassi Alumnus, or Jonathan Torrens.

Christmas movies: Christmas Evil is a horrible movie. Black Christmas (Canadian) is the benchmark of the Christmas horror genre.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl How could I forget Black Christmas! I think they're making another remake, not sure. But BC has all the benchmarks of bad Canadian movie. I watched every iteration of Degrassi there ever was, and still see Drake as good boy Jimmy. Can't take him seriously at all with his "new" facade.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
@chemgirl How could I forget Black Christmas! I think they're making another remake, not sure. But BC has all the benchmarks of bad Canadian movie. I watched every iteration of Degrassi there ever was, and still see Drake as good boy Jimmy. Can't take him seriously at all with his "new" facade.

Black Christmas is cheesy, but I love it.

A friend used to date the guy who played Rick. Every time we hung out my brain was like “Noooo you shot Jimmy”

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm intrigued but unless someone is wearing a white/beige colored sweater......

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal Was it Vanessa Hudgens who wore the sweater? I think it was in Knight Before Christmas. I tried to find it for my daughter. I am drawn to nice sweaters, especially the off white ones with nice details.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal Was it Vanessa Hudgens who wore the sweater? I think it was in Knight Before Christmas. I tried to find it for my daughter. I am drawn to nice sweaters, especially the off white ones with nice details.

I recall her sweater…..LOL...it seems every gal, in every show, had a nice off white sweater.

I found mine at Roots and love it. Nice cable knit. They have nice stuff. Check it out!

cheers--Sharon

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has been making me watch Hallmark Christmas movies. Pretty much anything we have watched that has been released in 2018/2019 has been terrible. Lets see, avoid Christmas in the Wild (with Rob Lowe!!! Seriously! It's painful, and not even Christmas-y). The second installment of A Christmas Prince (I think it was called A Christmas Prince Wedding or something like that) was pretty bad too. Which was sad, because I enjoyed the first one. A Journey Back to Christmas was pointless. No plot and no interesting characters. A Christmas Scavenger Hunt was also bad. Plus, it was almost like they couldn't find attractive actors with good chemistry at all.

There was also this particularly terrible one whose name I can't remember where the woman worked as a party planner/caterer in her family's business, but everyone in her family had some reason they couldn't help out with this big event her brother agreed to do in the hope that it would put their business on the map. So his best friend from college agreed to help. Only he mansplained her job to her the ENTIRE movie, interrupted her and spoke over her in meetings with clients, and completely ignored the fact that she had been doing this her whole life (oh, and also told her what her passion in life was and what she should do for work despite her having literally no experience in it....BECAUSE IT'S WHAT HE DOES FOR A LIVING), and she STILL agreed to quit her job and marry him at the end. Also, can I just say that I'm more than a little offended at the Hallmark Christmas view of life in which women who work need to review their priorities and quit their jobs/relocate to small towns to find love (and do the only important woman's work which is of course raising a family)? It's the not so subtle central theme of almost every one of these treasures. I wonder if DH is trying to tell me something...

That said, I have enjoyed the Christmas in Evergreen series with the same actors and the same red truck across films. They have been cute.

So many Hallmark Christmas movies are filmed where I live. We watch them being shot in August and then guess the landmarks when we watch them. It's quite funny. Sometimes it's the only way I can enjoy some of them.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 You'll be happy to hear there is a THIRD installment of the Christmas Prince series - A Royal Baby!

eta - I think you're referencing "The Christmas wedding planner" as the horrible mansplainer one.
eta 2- this is also a Canadian movie, so RIP Canadian Christmas movies, you must all suck.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

“It’s boring and insulting to anyone with a single neuron.” You crack me up @mrs-b! :lol:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 You'll be happy to hear there is a THIRD installment of the Christmas Prince series - A Royal Baby!

eta - I think you're referencing "The Christmas wedding planner" as the horrible mansplainer one.
eta 2- this is also a Canadian movie, so RIP Canadian Christmas movies, you must all suck.

Maybe they can redeem the sequel. I'm sure DH will make me watch it, so I hope so! (he has declared this to be his new Christmas tradition - watching literally every Hallmark Christmas movie/Christmas movie on Neflix/the W network the whole season long.

And yes, I think you're right about the Christmas Wedding Planner.

As for the Canadian curse...well, lots of 'US' tv shows and movies get made in Canada (like Suits, the X-files, Travelers, a number of the Star Trek movies/tv shows, Legends of the Fall, Shall we Dance...and hoards others I'm sure that I'm forgetting about), and no one is the wiser. I think it's just the low budget movies that are the problem. Then they have to hire 3rd rate writers, directors, actors...you name it, it's bad. Now CBC produced programs OTOH are a whole other story.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Watched The NIne Lives of Christmas....and the cats are great! The show was not too tabby, er I mean, shabby. :)

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results