shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas decorating: Too early? Whats your favorite thing to do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Maybe it was the snow we got this past weekend, but I went out and got my tree and decorated it. The house too! Is that too early for most folks? We visit family out of town, so I like to enjoy my tree before it falls to pieces.

And what are some Christmas traditions that you''d like to share--whether it is cooking, decorating or whatever. For me, it is listening to a CD of my Father''s favorite Christmas recordings (Jim Reeves)--since we have had the misfortune to loose him I simply cannot get through Christmas without listening to it.

What about ya''ll??

cheers--Sharon

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I think any time after Thanksgiving day is appropriate for decorating!

We listen to Bing Crosby''s White Christmas album, make a big ol'' ham (which we use the bone and bits for ham and black eyed peas on New Years Day), open presents after dinner, then have dessert (usually an very untraditional Lemon Meringue Pie).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re in the process of remodeling/moving and it''s been really hectic and stressful and my boys are definely showing signs of being effected by all this chaos. I just went out and bought a ton of christmas stuff to decorate the house and this year, my focus is on candles. I purchased some beautiful candles from bath and body works (the glitter spice ones) and also bought a selection of Yankee candles. Since normally we can''t burn candles (due to the risk of the house being burnt down via kids knocking over things) I wanted to take an opportunity to play with some yummy scents and make a shimmery atmosphere for us to enjoy.

We don''t have an real traditions. Just decorate a tree, presents, stockings and dinner with family. This year my husband''s family is leaving town so it''ll just be the four of us and a friend too, so it''ll be quiet and nonstress, which is nice. We''ll have ham and a few other simple dishes since I''m not a good cook. lol

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Great thread idea.

These are a few of my favorite things...

Putting red & green spotlighting outside on the house.
Holiday parties. Egg-nog. Brisk nights.
Caroling with family & friends...wassail!

Trimming the tree with my lovely lady on a lazy evening after Thanksgiving.
Recipe: Pajamas, hot spiced cider, classical/jazz holiday music.

(our traditional santa-bear sits under the tree)

formaltree.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of our old Christmas Lights. We had about 200 ft of lights and would sometimes trip
the electrical breakers. When I met websailor (who works for the local power/light company), he suggested that
I replace these energy waster lights with the new low voltage lights which I did. We now have tinsel lights up this year
(sorry no picture yet).

We put our tree up last weekend and have already sent out all of our Christmas Cards.

House Xmas Lights.jpg

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
We usually out the tree up after Dec 1st. I
emlove.gif
Xmas decorations it makes everything look so happy.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
Here's our pitiful little tree at my FI's house. We didn't put one up at my apartment this year, just at his house because it will be "our" house next Christmas!

It's very bare, but after this Christmas we will be getting all of my childhood ornaments to go on for next year.

Anyway, enjoy- I think it looks good with the red walls in the living room!

B

47b4cf11b3127cce9d2d9#5F460.jpg

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
Another try.
7.gif

Murphytree.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
My daughter insists that we decorate the tree the day after Thanksgiving. As long as I have help that''s fine with me.

tree04.JPG

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2004 9:47
6.gif
8 AM
Author: Bethanying
Here's our pitiful little tree at my FI's house. We didn't put one up at my apartment this year, just at his house because it will be 'our' house next Christmas!

It's very bare, but after this Christmas we will be getting all of my childhood ornaments to go on for next year.

Anyway, enjoy- I think it looks good with the red walls in the living room!

B
That is an adorable, special and beautiful tree.
1.gif

cflutist--house looks great.
John--beautiful tree & setting!
Nan--gorgeous!

We get a live tree and I am always afraid of it dying/drying out so we wait until the 2nd weekend in December (this weekend) to put it up. I have my wreath up the weekend right after Thanksgiving; the rest goes up the weekend we do the tree. Lots of doo-dads aorund the house, many from my childhood.
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE live trees. I love the smellllllllllllllllll
Anyway we did the Live tree thing up until we bought the house in 2001. I had to give in to hubby''s wishes of having an artificial tree. I don''t see what the big deal is with him: Live or Artificial, I''m the one decorating.

Breath in, breath out: it''s all about compromise!!!!!
29.gif
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty guys!
But I think I need a Christmas support group. I think I''m the only one here who HATES Christmas. I have no idea why. I want to love it, really I do! Help!
40.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2004 9:22:34 AM
Author: moremoremore
Very pretty guys!
But I think I need a Christmas support group. I think I''m the only one here who HATES Christmas. I have no idea why. I want to love it, really I do! Help!
40.gif
HI:

Lets do the Charlie Brown Christmas play--would that help??
Besides the music, Christmas isn''t Christmas without watching Charlie Brown Christmas cartoon and Alister Sim in Scrooge.

cheers--Sharon

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 9:22:34 AM
Author: moremoremore
Very pretty guys!
40.gif
LOL

You just need to jump in head first into the season. Go to Starbucks tonight and buy either an eggnog latte or gingerbread latte
18.gif
and drive around and look at the homes decorated for Christmas.

Rent or watch (if you own)....Christmas Vacation, Elf, Home for the Holidays, Planes,Trains & Automobiles.....gotta love these movies!

I tend to get a little "Scroogy" around the holidays and then I just realize it''s coming whether I like it or not, so I just jump on board and really try hard to get in the spirit
emotion-19.gif

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I am a complete decorating nut when it comes to Christmas. I start hanging my lights before Halloween (do it before it gets cold). I had two of my Christmas trees decorated within a week following Halloween.
I put a total of 4 trees decorated in my house.
emteeth.gif
I cut fresh pine limbs from my trees out back and I make fresh garland for my firpleace mantle, my staircase banister, doorway outside, and railings to my porch. It looks sooooo pretty. Though my fingers are tore up from the pine needles, but worth it in the end.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 10
6.gif
6.gif
1 AM
Author: Diamondsbybree
I am a complete decorating nut when it comes to Christmas. I start hanging my lights before Halloween (do it before it gets cold). I had two of my Christmas trees decorated within a week following Halloween.
I put a total of 4 trees decorated in my house.
emteeth.gif
I cut fresh pine limbs from my trees out back and I make fresh garland for my firpleace mantle, my staircase banister, doorway outside, and railings to my porch. It looks sooooo pretty. Though my fingers are tore up from the pine needles, but worth it in the end.
Hey how about some pictures for goodness sakes.
9.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Ok MMM I found a link for you to the Charlie Brown Christmas website- including music!!!

here's the link

My particular favorite is the "lucy and linus" ; click on it.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
LINUS AND LUCY is the ringer on my cell phone. A) It makes me smile everytime it rings. B) You can''t imagine how many other people smile when the hear it ring, it''s like instant recognition of a great old classis.

And... tonights our work Christmas party, so like most of the younger crew in the office I have taken tomorrow off... so hopefully if I am able to function by about noon I''ll be putting up our Christmas decorations tomorrow.

It''s taken me a while to come around to the Xmas spirit this year... but I think it''s finally starting to kick in.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love all of these beautiful decorated trees. Keep em coming.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like to get Christmas up soon after Thanksgiving, when it''s not so hectic........
can''t wait till Thanksgiving!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 10:46:44 AM
Author: cflutist
I just love all of these beautiful decorated trees. Keep em coming.
Yes, post more tree photos. I need motivation! lol Our wood floors and carpet are being installed this week and next so we''ll be getting a tree after then and hopefully it''ll last an entire day
3.gif
I bought a ton of red bells to use as decorations since my kids, undoubtedly, will trash our tree so there''s no point in putting up glass ornaments.
7.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so here it is. Unfortunately, it is raining here today, and it looks really dark. We put our tree in our music room so we can see it from just about everywhere on the first floor of our house.

DiamondLil

xmastree2004.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of our front porch we also decorate. The kids help me wrap *fake* presents (boxes full of rocks and newspaper) to put in the wagon. They always think someone is going to steal them .

xmasporch.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
DL- your tree looks beautiful. I love the beaded garland.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
We should use this as our Christmas card. Picture taken last Christmas season.

DiamondLil

xmas2003house.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 3
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM
Author: sevens one
DL- your tree looks beautiful. I love the beaded garland.
Thanks SevensOne. In years past, the kids have made me construction paper ring garland, but this year they informed me, "we are too old for that, Mommy." Oh well, can''t keep ''em little forever.

DiamondLil

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Here is our tree from last year. We haven''t put up this year''s. We will put up two...one in the living room and one in the family room. I always try to not spend over $8 for the family room tree and my family laughs at the sad little Charlie Brown trees I buy for it. But I like trees with lots of room to show the ornaments. I also love short needles.

Sevens, your tree is gorgeous! My sister got an artificial tree last year and I must say, it''s so pretty and so realistic that I''m now tempted! In fact, I''d like to have a tree that is always decorated...You just throw a hefty trash bag over it every year, lol.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
DL, I love your house! I've always loved stone and I love the combination of siding and stone on yours. Beatutiful!

I got rid of three large bags of decorations this year. It feels great to do that! I had saved things from the early years of our marriage and other things that had been given to me that I just didn't care for. This year I decided that I was only keeping the things I love. My daughter, however, dug through the bags and salvaged some wreaths, but at least now they are HER junk, not mine.
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Patty!
emlove.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results