shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas Cookie Baking Thread 2020

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to have a thread about our favorite Christmas cookie recipes every year. This is my favorite recipe.

Scottish Shortbread

1/2 lb butter
scant 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3 cups flour (My notation says, "use less!" and is heavily underlined; I think you should listen to me. I believe it gets too crumbly with a lot of flour.)

Knead butter and sugar together, then work in flour, a little at a time. Form into two small cakes and prick fork right through to the bottom. Bake in a slow oven until light brown. (About 325 degreesF-20-25minutes-about 1/3 " thick.)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
No baking yet, but we did make the royal icing for the construction! PXL_20201205_232853816.jpg
Mood: Same, little buddy. Same. :lol:
This one and I would be great friends, a kid after my own heart!
*Look ma, no hands!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday "The New York Times" had a recipe for peanut butter balls, but although I pay for a subscription I couldn't get it. If I wanted it, I would have had to subscribe to a special cooking section of the paper. I decided that their recipe was not that precious and went looking on-line for recipes. I liked this one, one of many that All Recipes.com had available. (I belong to that, too.) I haven't tried it yet, but I hope to do so.

Peanut Butter Balls II

Peanut Butter Balls II

Ingredients​

Ingredient Checklist
  • 1 ½ cups peanut butter
  • 1 cup butter
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 ⅓ cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon shortening

Directions​

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    Mix together peanut butter, butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, and graham cracker crumbs. Shape into 1 inch balls.
  • Step 2
    Melt chocolate chips and shortening in top of double boiler. Dip balls into chocolate mixture and let dry on waxed paper. (Poke each ball with a toothpick for easier dipping.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday "The New York Times" had a recipe for peanut butter balls, but although I pay for a subscription I couldn't get it. If I wanted it, I would have had to subscribe to a special cooking section of the paper. I decided that their recipe was not that precious and went looking on-line for recipes. I liked this one, one of many that All Recipes.com had available. (I belong to that, too.) I haven't tried it yet, but I hope to do so.

Peanut Butter Balls II

Peanut Butter Balls II

Ingredients​

Ingredient Checklist
  • 1 ½ cups peanut butter
  • 1 cup butter
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 ⅓ cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon shortening

Directions​

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    Mix together peanut butter, butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, and graham cracker crumbs. Shape into 1 inch balls.
  • Step 2
    Melt chocolate chips and shortening in top of double boiler. Dip balls into chocolate mixture and let dry on waxed paper. (Poke each ball with a toothpick for easier dipping.)

That looks so yummy. :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this works. For you @AGBF ❤️

Peanut Butter Balls​

By Samantha Seneviratne

• YIELDAbout 30 pieces
  • TIME25 minutes, plus chilling
Save to Recipe Box
EmailShare on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Twitter
Peanut Butter Balls

Jim Wilson/The New York Times
Depending on where you live, these chocolate and peanut-butter confections are known as either peanut butter balls or buckeyes. In the Midwest, they are known as buckeyes because they look like the nut of a buckeye tree, thanks to an exposed circle of peanut butter that's left after they're dipped in chocolate. Be sure to start with a good-quality peanut butter, and don’t skimp on the salt. Those small touches carry a lot of impact.

Mark as Cooked

510 ratings

INGREDIENTS​

• 2 cups/242 grams confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 cup/270 grams sweetened, smooth peanut butter
  • 4 tablespoons/57 grams unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 5 ounces/142 grams semisweet chocolate
Add to Your Grocery List
Ingredient Substitution Guide

• Nutritional Information

PREPARATION​

1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, beat the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt until smooth and uniform, about 1 minute.
  2. Portion the mixture into 1 tablespoon balls. Roll the balls into neat circles between your palms. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
  3. A few minutes before the balls are done chilling, prepare the chocolate. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in short bursts, stirring often. If chocolate becomes too thick during the dipping process, it can be liquified again in the microwave.
  4. Use a toothpick to skewer one ball at a time, and dip it into the melted chocolate, leaving a small circle of the peanut butter mixture exposed at the top and allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Transfer buckeyes to the prepared baking sheet and remove the toothpick. Repeat with the remaining balls, returning them to the freezer for a few minutes if they become too soft to work with. Smooth over the holes left by the toothpick with a small offset spatula or your finger. Chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No baking this year as I am not making any edible goodies bags for friends, and seldom eat biscuits/cookies myself at home.

DK :))

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I don't make cookies but I make eggnog and cheesecake! I've been slowly gathering the ingredients for my eggnog. My dad has been asking for it since Halloween lol.
But oh my, that recipe for the shortbread looks amazing and I adore shortbread cookies!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't make cookies but I make eggnog and cheesecake! I've been slowly gathering the ingredients for my eggnog. My dad has been asking for it since Halloween lol.
But oh my, that recipe for the shortbread looks amazing and I adore shortbread cookies!

I went through a phase of making eggnog, I believe because my great-nephew loves it. I tried a lot of recipes, but concentrated on cooked eggnogs with coconut. It was fun, but I grew tired of it given that my great-nephew was happy with a carton of store-bought eggnog!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went through a phase of making eggnog, I believe because my great-nephew loves it. I tried a lot of recipes, but concentrated on cooked eggnogs with coconut. It was fun, but I grew tired of it given that my great-nephew was happy with a carton of store-bought eggnog!

sad nephew !
hopefully one day his taste buds will realize the error of his ways
not that ive ever had egg nog

i did make butter rum one year (in June for mid-winter) yum that was deliciuse

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortnatly my Christmas cake - despite my best efforts has too much sugar and sent Gary's blood sugar too high

i cut down the sugar in it and used this special low GI sugar, i ommitted the golden syrup and added a grated carrot, apple and rolled oats
it tastes delicious but the dried fruit, pinnapple and rum don't help in the sugar dept

i have a loaf tin sized and another half left
I can put the whole one away and feed it with rum for a few months and ill turn the half into rum balls
.....unfortunately i can't resist condensed milk
so im thinking about using chocolate hazelnut spread

its a beautuful moist cake and most definatly cooked

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@AGBF and @missy yum yum i love anything peanut butter with chocolate

tell me what a Graham cracker is so i can work out an equivalent?
is it a sweet cookie like for a cheesecake base ?
we call those vinnila wine and round wine biscuits
or is it a malt biscuit

please note i have no idea what a tennis or a nice biscuit is but i think they must all be similar

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite Christmas Cookie recipe was handed down by my MIL to my DH. She got it from Good Housekeeping in the 1950s. Still delicious to this day. I have shared that many times here so will not repeat.

Instead I will add two recipes I don't believe I have shared here before.

First up my DH's raspberry almond bars. These bars were literally the first baked goods he made for me when we were dating. And what began my love affair with him and his mad baking (among many other) skills.

Raspberry-Almond Bars

Dough

1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
1 stick (4oz.) margarine
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners sugar

Topping

3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
3 cups sliced almonds (3/4 lb)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter [melted]
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract

Preheat oven 350
Grease 9 x 13 baking pan
Beat softened butter and margarine until smooth. Add flour and confectioners sugar and beat on low speed until smooth. Pat dough evenly into bottom of pan. Bake for approx. 30 min. or until golden brown. Leave oven on. Let cool slightly and spread jam evenly on top.

Toast almonds 10 min. or until golden and fragrant. Let cool.

In large bowl, whisk brown and granulated sugar with melted butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts until smooth. Fold in almonds. Spread evenly over jam.

Bake for approx. 25 min. or until set and golden. Let cool completely in pan. Cut into squares.

Bar cookies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 1 week.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up his Key Lime Pie. Oh so refreshing. And I am not normally a fan of Key Lime. Well shut the front door because I am a fan of his Key Lime Pie.

KEY LIME PIE [9"]

LIME FILLING
4 teaspoons grated zest plus 1/2 cup strained juice from 3 to 4 limes
4 large egg yolks
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
11 full graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs (1 1/4 cups)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING [optional]
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)

1. For the filling: Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken.

2. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix crumbs and sugar in medium bowl. Add butter; stir with fork until well blended. Pour mixture into 9-inch pie pan; press crumbs over bottom and up sides of pan to form even crust. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

3. Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)

4. For the whipped cream: Up to 2 hours before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Adding confectioners’ sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.

I don't have any pics of my DH's Raspberry Almond bars or Key Lime pie so instead will leave you with his Christmas Cookies. Yummmmmm. For the record we have not yet baked anything this year so you girls know who you are we have not left you out. Not sure if we are baking these this year but if we do (and you know what a year this has been so not sure we will) you will get some I promise!

christmascookies2015.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is a picture of my mother's Christmas cookies, made every year without fail with her cookie press. I wonder if it came with a recipe and and if, therefore, Greg's recipe, is also my mother's recipe. Does he make camels? She made camels, too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a picture of my mother's Christmas cookies, made every year without fail with her cookie press. I wonder if it came with a recipe and and if, therefore, Greg's recipe, is also my mother's recipe. Does he make camels? She made camels, too.

No we just make those two cookie shapes. The trees and the snowflakes. Our cookie press from the 50s if you can believe it lol. They are still in great shape. Camels are so cool though and I wish we could make those too!

FYI the Spritz recipe:

Spritz Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter

2/3 cup sugar

3 egg yolks

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups sifted flour

1/2 tsp. salt

candied cherries

Set oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Using a cookie press, press out dough in different shapes, working directly on ungreased cookie sheets. Decorate centers of cookies with candied cherries.

Bake for 10 min. or until edges are golden brown.

Makes about 50.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more amazing recipe if I may. This is Greg's pumpkin Cheesecake recipe and I have to say (my completely unbiased opinion haha) this is divine. Simply divine.

He got the recipe from Cook's illustrated. It's a long process but worth it. I am telling you nothing tastes as delicious as this.

It was the first thing we ever baked together and IIRC (fro the 1990s so a long time ago) it took us the better part of the day.

Why this recipe works:​

We discovered a few keys to the perfect pumpkin cheesecake recipe: For a smooth and creamy texture, we blotted the canned pumpkin puree with paper towels to remove excess moisture before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. We passed over brown sugar, which overpowered the pumpkin, in favor of milder granulated sugar. Baking the cake in a water bath in a moderate oven also helped give our pumpkin cheesecake recipe its velvety texture.

Makes one 9-inch cake, serving 12 to 16​

Depending on the oven and the temperature of the ingredients, the cheesecake may bake about 15 minutes faster or slower than the instructions indicate; it is therefore best to check the cake 1 1/4 hours into baking. Although the cheesecake can be made up to three days in advance, the crust will begin to lose its crispness after only one day. To make slicing the cheesecake easy and neat, use a knife with a narrow blade, such as a carving knife; between cuts, dip the blade into a pitcher of hot water and wipe it clean with paper towels. The cheesecake is good on its own, but the Brown Sugar and Bourbon Cream (recipe follows) is a grand addition.

Ingredients​

• Crust​

• 3ounces graham crackers (5 whole crackers), broken into large pieces
  • 3tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2ounces pecans,chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
  • 4tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • Filling​

• 1 1/3cups granulated sugar
  • 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2teaspoon table salt
  • 1can pumpkin (15 ounces)
  • 1 1/2pounds cream cheese, cut into 1-inch chunks and left to soften at room temperature, about 30 minutes
  • 1teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5large eggs, left at room temperature, about 30 minutes
  • 1cup heavy cream
  • 1/4cup bourbon

Instructions​

1. 1. FOR THE CRUST: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan evenly with nonstick cooking spray. Pulse crackers, nuts, sugar, and spices in food processor until evenly and finely ground, about fifteen 2-second pulses. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl, drizzle melted butter over, and mix with rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Turn crumbs into prepared springform pan and, using hand, spread crumbs into even layer. Using flat-bottomed ramekin or drinking glass, press crumbs evenly into pan bottom, then use a soup spoon to press and smooth crumbs into edges of pan. Bake until fragrant and browned about the edges, about 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling.
    2. FOR THE FILLING: Bring about 4 quarts water to simmer in stockpot. Whisk sugar, spices, and salt in small bowl; set aside. To dry pumpkin (see illustrations below): Line baking sheet with triple layer of paper towels. Spread pumpkin on paper towels in roughly even layer. Cover pumpkin with second triple layer of paper towels and press firmly until paper towels are saturated. Peel back top layer of towels and discard. Grasp bottom towels and fold pumpkin in half; peel back towels. Repeat and flip pumpkin onto baking sheet; discard towel.
    3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat cream cheese at medium speed to break up and soften slightly, about 1 minute. Scrape beater and bottom and sides of bowl well with rubber spatula. Add about one third of sugar mixture and beat at medium-low speed until combined, about 1 minute; scrape bowl and add remaining sugar in two additions, scraping bowl after each addition. Add pumpkin and vanilla and beat at medium speed until combined, about 45 seconds; scrape bowl. Add 3 eggs and beat at medium-low until incorporated, about 1 minute; scrape bowl. Add remaining 2 eggs and beat at medium-low until incorporated, about 45 seconds; scrape bowl. Add heavy cream and bourbon and beat at low speed until combined, about 45 seconds. Using rubber spatula, scrape bottom and sides of bowl and give final stir by hand.
    4. Set springform pan with cooled crust on 18-inch-square doubled layer heavy-duty foil and wrap bottom and sides with foil; set wrapped springform pan in roasting pan. Pour filling into springform pan and smooth surface; set roasting pan in oven and pour enough boiling water to come about halfway up side of springform pan. Bake until center of cake is slightly wobbly when pan is shaken, and center of cake registers 145 to 150 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 1 1/2 hours (see note). Set roasting pan on wire rack and use paring knife to loosen cake from sides of pan. Cool until water is just warm, about 45 minutes. Remove springform pan from water bath, discard foil, and set on wire rack; continue to cool until barely warm, about 3 hours. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
    5. TO SERVE: Slide thin metal spatula between crust and pan bottom to loosen, then slide cake onto serving platter. Let cheesecake stand at room temperature about 30 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.

Step-by-Step​

Drying Pumpkin with Paper Towels​

mail

1. Line baking sheet with triple layer of paper towels. Spread pumpkin on paper towels in roughly even layer.
mail

2. Cover pumpkin with second triple layer of paper towels and press firmly until paper towels are saturated.
mail

3. Peel back top layer of towels and discard.
mail

4. Grasp bottom towels and fold pumpkin in half; peel back towels. Repeat and flip pumpkin onto baking sheet; discard towels.
--

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No we just make those two cookie shapes. The trees and the snowflakes. Our cookie press from the 50s if you can believe it lol. They are still in great shape. Camels are so cool though and I wish we could make those too!

FYI the Spritz recipe:

Spritz Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter

2/3 cup sugar

3 egg yolks

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups sifted flour

1/2 tsp. salt

candied cherries

Set oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Using a cookie press, press out dough in different shapes, working directly on ungreased cookie sheets. Decorate centers of cookies with candied cherries.

Bake for 10 min. or until edges are golden brown.

Makes about 50.

You can make the camels. That is the same press my mother had. You just have to find the camel disc on eBay! I wonder where my mother's cookie press is? She may have given it to one of my cousins many years ago, because that cousin loved her cookies and started to make them when everyone got older. But maybe my cousin bought her own cookie press. Ours was definitely from the 1950's, too!

Edited to add: my mother always used some food coloring in a bit of the dough and made some green Christmas trees, too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And because a photo is worth a thousand words...

Some baked goods of holidays past.

Found one of the pumpkin cheesecakes Greg baked. Woohoo.

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 8.48.57 AM.png

Chocolate peanut butter squares. So good for any pb lover. I wonder how this would be with almond butter? Hmmmmmmm. I think that has to go on my honey bake list hahaha.
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 8.48.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 8.48.35 AM.png

yummyappleandpumpkinpie2014.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can make the camels. That is the same press my mother had. You just have to find the camel disc on eBay! I wonder where my mother's cookie press is? She may have given it to one of my cousins many years ago, because that cousin loved her cookies and started to make them when everyone got older. But maybe my cousin bought her own cookie press. Ours was definitely from the 1950's, too!

Lots of wonderful things (and people) were made in the 1950s! :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many cookie press sets for sale on eBay that have the same Christmas tree Greg uses. I think they are vintage sets by Mirro. I remember my mother also had a pinwheel. Some of these sets have a pinwheel as well as a camel and the other shapes that both Greg and my mother used.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many cookie press sets for sale on eBay that have the same Christmas tree Greg uses. I think they are vintage sets by Mirro. I remember my mother also had a pinwheel. Some of these sets have a pinwheel as well as a camel and the other shapes that both Greg and my mother used.

I just asked Greg and we have the Wear-Ever sets. These are the original cookie guns and very powerful but not without trouble. They leak occasionally. But we make the best of it. And it all tastes delicious anyway. :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 9.15.10 AM.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just asked Greg and we have the Wear-Ever sets. These are the original cookie guns and very powerful but not without trouble. They leak occasionally. But we make the best of it. And it all tastes delicious anyway. :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 9.15.10 AM.png

I am very impressed!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF and @missy yum yum i love anything peanut butter with chocolate

tell me what a Graham cracker is so i can work out an equivalent?
is it a sweet cookie like for a cheesecake base ?
we call those vinnila wine and round wine biscuits
or is it a malt biscuit

please note i have no idea what a tennis or a nice biscuit is but i think they must all be similar

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, These are graham crackers.

Graham Crackers​

A sweet whole wheat cracker. These are very versatile. They can be eaten plain or used in recipes as whole crackers or just crumbs.

Graham Crackers
@

Ingredients​

Ingredient Checklist
  • ½ cup shortening
  • ¾ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup milk

Directions​

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and brown sugar. Stir in the vanilla. Combine the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Cover and chill dough until firm.
  • Step 2
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into rectangles. Place 1/2 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  • Step 3
    Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp. Edges will be golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to cool on wire racks.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy i love pumpkin cheesecake but the recepie i have is huge, i also like that recepie that said how many crackers to use
Of course i forgot about Gary and no sugar so bases our out these days
Thank you @AGBF.
They were not quite what i was expecting
This is what we usually use here
hsk-079-griffins-malt-biscuits-21934.jpg 5003310.png
My pimpkin cheesecake calls for gingernuts grf_round_wine_biscuits.jpg

Attachments

• Gingernuts 250g new pic.jpg
    Gingernuts 250g new pic.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 14

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of a cookie press before :lol:
We use upturned glasses in my house !

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, love all of your recipes and will be making the raspberry almond ones. I have been making cookies all week and although tasty none are beautiful. Just packed up my last cookie tin and sent off to neighbors... a bit early but thought everyone needed a little jumpstart to the season of giving.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results