shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas Cookie Baking Thread 2019

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to have a thread about our favorite Christmas cookie recipes every year. This is my favorite recipe.

Scottish Shortbread

(I think my mother originally called this, "Mrs. Smith's Shortbread".)

1/2 lb butter
scant 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3 cups flour (My notation says, "use less!" and is heavily underlined; I think you should listen to me. I believe it gets too crumbly with a lot of flour.)

Knead butter and sugar together, then work in flour, a little at a time. Form into two small cakes and prick fork right through to the bottom. Bake in a slow oven until light brown. (About 325 degreesF-20-25minutes-about 1/3 " thick.)

Deb/AGBF

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
We used to have a thread about our favorite Christmas cookie recipes every year. This is my favorite recipe.

Scottish Shortbread

1/2 lb butter
3 cups flour (My notation says, "use less!" and is heavily underlined; I think you should listen to me. I believe it gets too crumbly with a lot of flour.)

Knead butter and sugar together, then work in flour, a little at a time. Form into two small cakes and prick fork right through to the bottom. Bake in a slow oven until light brown. (About 325 degreesF-20-25minutes-about 1/3 " thick.)

Deb/AGBF

@AGBF if we ever meet I'll bring you some of the home-made stuff (though not mine, my efforts have a tendency to burn). I have a friend who makes shortbread and it literally melts in the mouth.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not keen on making sweet items as I prefer savoury ones myself.

I attempted making two cookies so far last year, and they were both edible. :lol:

One was white chocolate and cherry, and the other peanut butter and white chocolate.

This year, I am going to get rid of some maple syrup I have in my cupboard by making almond, maple and white chocolate cookies. It is new to me so wish me luck!

DK :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Creme de menthe Brownies

1) Make brownies.

2) 2 cups confectioners sugar
5T creme de menthe
1/2 cup margarine (room temperature)
Blend all ingredients together and spread on cool brownies.

3) 6 oz. chocolate chips
5 T. margarine
Melt chips and margarine together and spread on cool creme de menthe. Chill to serve. Can freeze.

These are beautiful looking with a green stripe in the middle of the brownie.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanksgiving Pumpkin Cookie recipe. Greg made these a few years ago. Delish.

2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice (cinammon/ginger/nutmeg) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 stick unsalted butter 1 cup sugar 1 large egg 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin-pie spice, and salt; set aside.

With electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat until smooth. With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture in two parts and pumpkin puree in one, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined (do not overmix).

Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto two baking sheets. Bake until puffed and edges are golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheets once during baking. Move cookies to wire racks, and cool completely.

When cookies have cooled, you can decorate with melted semisweet chocolate and refrigerate until chocolate is firm.

Raspberry Almond Bars (can eat like a cookie so adding here because they are amazing and in fact when we were dating this was the first thing Greg baked me..and won my heart pretty quickly after that haha).

Raspberry-Almond Bars

Dough

1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
1 stick (4oz.) margarine
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners sugar

Topping

3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
3 cups sliced almonds (3/4 lb)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter [melted]
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract

Preheat oven 350
Grease 9 x 13 baking pan
Beat softened butter and margarine until smooth. Add flour and confectioners sugar and beat on low speed until smooth. Pat dough evenly into bottom of pan. Bake for approx. 30 min. or until golden brown. Leave oven on. Let cool slightly and spread jam evenly on top.

Toast almonds 10 min. or until golden and fragrant. Let cool.

In large bowl, whisk brown and granulated sugar with melted butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts until smooth. Fold in almonds. Spread evenly over jam.

Bake for approx. 25 min. or until set and golden. Let cool completely in pan. Cut into squares.

Bar cookies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 1 week.

OK have to add his Key Lime Pie recipe because it is out of this world yummy if you enjoy Key Lime Pie.

KEY LIME PIE [9"]

LIME FILLING
4 teaspoons grated zest plus 1/2 cup strained juice from 3 to 4 limes
4 large egg yolks
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
11 full graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs (1 1/4 cups)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING [optional]
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)

1. For the filling: Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken.

2. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix crumbs and sugar in medium bowl. Add butter; stir with fork until well blended. Pour mixture into 9-inch pie pan; press crumbs over bottom and up sides of pan to form even crust. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

3. Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)

4. For the whipped cream: Up to 2 hours before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Adding confectioners’ sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.

And finally his newest recipe for me....AIP Christmas Cookie recipe: Tested and approved. Very delicious.

Photo from last year's baking.
christmascookies2018.jpg.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Scottish Shortbread

1/2 lb butter

Deb/AGBF

I have people staying with me. I made these cookies this afternoon while they were out and only my daughter was home with me. Then I made chili con carne for supper. I'm exhausted. :))

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Snickerdoodles
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets. 6C17C993-2E74-4942-8404-A8C2C2C5547E.jpeg

I made them for the seniors I work with and they loved them! Pictured here in the chef’s kitchen at the residence. My kitchen is less than half the size....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results