shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas Carols

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an agnostic and not religious in anyway, however, I love Christmas Carols, singing as well as listening to them.

My all time favourite is Shepherd's Farewell.

I have to learn to sing O Holy Night for this year's carol concerts that I participate, and am surprised that I had never sung it before until now, and I love it.

Another one that I like and seldom hear it performed is the Zither Carol. Great with the addition of bells for extra festive fun and spirit.

What's your favourite?

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ding dong merrily on high, it’s just so jolly!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The songs in the holiday thread don't cover the carols to which you're referring? If you are referring to some special subset of carols, I would love it if you also posted these to the holiday song thread as well. I take an interest in that every year and never fail to find a piece of music, usually more than one, of which I had previously been unaware. I do not want to lose any carols because they are posted solely to this thread.

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im generally not into any kind of of Christmas music but i like little drummer boy
i also like carrols sung by a propper choir - the ones that can hit the really high notes

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
In church I love singing Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and in general I love Silent Night.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The songs in the holiday thread don't cover the carols to which you're referring? If you are referring to some special subset of carols, I would love it if you also posted these to the holiday song thread as well. I take an interest in that every year and never fail to find a piece of music, usually more than one, of which I had previously been unaware. I do not want to lose any carols because they are posted solely to this thread.

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

IMHO, carols that are religious in nature do not fall under the wider category of holiday music.

Holiday music to me personally covers pop songs that are relevant to the holiday period.

However please feel free to interpret the definition which way you wish/please.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ave Maria
Silent Night
What Child is This
God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman
O Holy Night

I love christmas songs/carols and not sure of the difference so thanks @dk168 for the explanation. I think of them all as holiday music generally. All beautiful.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, carols that are religious in nature do not fall under the wider category of holiday music.

Holiday music to me personally covers pop songs that are relevant to the holiday period.

However please feel free to interpret the definition which way you wish/please.

I do not wish to argue with you over the definition of "holiday music". I certainly see traditional Christmas carols as quite different from pop songs.

In the past we mingled carols and ancient sacred music with modern music in one thread about holiday music. The past does not have to determine the present. I think that a thread solely about traditional carols would be lovely. But I also would like to include any carols gathered here into the other thread. For years Holly and I have gathered Christmas somgs into an inclusive thread of "all" holiday music and I like to be able to look back at the different years when I forget some of the songs that people posted.

So I may copy some of the traditional carols you mention and post them in the other thread. I also may pass on some. Many traditional carols appear in every Pricescope holiday music thread year after year. I do not feel the need to post them every single year. Handel's "Messiah" comes to mind. :))

I have posted some traditional carols in the other thread. They are my favorite type of Christmas music. Among the pieces I posted are "The Coventry Carol" and "The Holly and the Ivy".

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Ave Maria
Silent Night
What Child is This
God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman
O Holy Night

I love christmas songs/carols and not sure of the difference so thanks @dk168 for the explanation. I think of them all as holiday music generally. All beautiful.

Ah yes! 'What Child is This?' is so beautiful. It has a haunting quality to it.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the bleak midwinter, by Christina Rosetti and with music by Gustav Holst, eminds me of the Christmas services at the church (C of E) I went to long ago. Also Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht (the original German version of Silent Night). Both instantly bring me back to childhood Christmases and advent church services

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silent Night
The First Noel
Away in a Manger

@dk168 - I know what you mean re the difference in holiday music and carols. At the various churches I've attended during my life, we'll often sing hymns defined as carols during the year, as the message in them is relevant at any time of year and not specific to Christmas alone. Tho I do have to say, it does feel strange to sing Silent Night in March, for instance!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"In Dulci Jubilo"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The Sussex Carol"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Cherry Tree Carol"

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Okay update. At church this morning we sang Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and I realized that the song I meant to say was one of my favorites is Angels we Have Heard on High. My mistake!! The part that I absolutely love singing along with other people, is "Gloria, in excelsis Deo".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results