shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing the ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RebeAna

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m wondering how in the world to let my guy know what kind of ring I want. He seems to think that since he''s the one proposing, he gets to pick out the ring himself for a surprise. That doesn''t seem like a good idea given some of the suggestions he''s made (whenever I can actually get him to talk about engagement). This basically boils down to two stubborn people who KNOW they''re right.
20.gif

Any suggestions?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We picked out our stone and setting together. This worked for us, but definitely doesn''t work for everyone. If he''s not wanting to consider your input, make sure he understands that YOU are the one who will be wearing it for the rest of your life... so you''d better love it!

If you want to be subtle, try tearing out ring ads that show ones that you like. Bridal magazines are a good resource for this. Leave them around the house. Or email him "a ring you think is sooo gorgeous, don''t you agree?" He''ll get the picture.

RebeAna

Rough_Rock
That seems like a good idea. I already put two sites on his online history hoping he''ll go and take a look. They''re set to the style that I like. We''ll see what happens.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of curiosity, what style is it that you''re interested in? And what suggestions has he made that don''t seem like a good idea? I''m always interested in this stuff, sorry if I''m prying!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Leave magazine cut outs of stuff you like lying around, and bookmark things on his comp. This way he has no choice but to see and hopefully will be influenced by what he knows you like.
1.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Or you could tell him "you know honey, when I''ll get engaged my dream ring would be ..."
28.gif
I was never a fan of hints!
2.gif

We picked out ours together. At first he wanted it to be a surprise, but I told him I was going to be the one wearing it, so it should be my choice. Then I said that if he was to chose my ring, then I could pick his... He changed his mind right away and took me shopping!
27.gif

RebeAna

Rough_Rock
I haven''t decided on any style in particular yet, but I know he wants a titanium band, but I''m not sure if that''s what I want. He seems to like the ring his brother bought for his fiancee which I think was a solitaire on a platinum band. I just don''t want to end up with a replica of hers.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell him you are the one who is going to be wearing it and that he can pick out his own ring. This might help him be more open to suggestions and understanding to why you want input.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with anchor on this one-tell him the exact type of ring that you want-otherwise god knows what you might end up with! Most men aren''t quick to pick up hints!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went to a few B&M stores and I pointed out what I liked and my boyfriend gave his opinions too. The more we looked the more we began to make an actual list of what we could envision for my e-ring. Now, the only problem is that our list has gotten quite long and it''s hard to decide what we ultimately want (halo, three stone, etc.). I guess it''s easier sometimes to figure out what you DON''T want.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
28.gif
I would flat out tell him what you like and dislike. For us, we would look at websites online and then I would save the images to a folder so that he had a reference to look at and show the jeweler.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Make sure you give him options! Mine was pretty much the same ''this is all the guy''s doing'', but I sent him emails of pictures and styles I liked. And then we ended up deciding on a site and I went through every single ring and rated it a yes, no, and maybe. That way he had choices in different styles and price ranges while I was sure it''d be a diamond I''d like.
5.gif
Worked perfectly and I love my ring all the more since he picked it out as being perfect for me!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i would make a collage of rings i like and riings i hate. and put it in his briefcase.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My FI was more than happy for me to get the ring after he proposed. I am so picky it wouldn''t have worked any other way. I got engaged on Christmas Eve - and still haven''t finalised the setting design!

I wanted the proposal to be the surprise not the ring. It was nice that it was more about us and making a commitment and less about the bling at that moment.

Re your BF, put it this way: Would he let you pick his car for him with no input? And he''ll be driving that a lot less time than you''ll will be wearing your e-ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results