shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing an OEC

Gorgeousgigi

Rough_Rock
Hello
I am hoping someone can help with advice about choosing a good OEC that will have excellent light performance.
I have just returned an OEC I purchased via ebay as the colour was coming out at an S-T which is too low for me (I only know this now!).
I am looking for a J/K/L OEC in the 1.5-2.0 carat range, VS clarity, with the usual small table stats (around 45-50% I guess). My budgte is around $7,500
How do I judge light performance from photos (I am buying in the US but live in the UK). CVB are designing a ring for me.....
I guess I don't want to make another mistake but I am struggling as to how to evaluate stones remotely and also what I should be paying roughly per carat.
If anyone has any advice I would appreciate your input. Also apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum.
Thank you
Tina

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Tina,

I recently went through the same thing-- I live in London and bought an OEC from the States. I understand why you're feeling stuck as the VAT and customs charges make it difficult to look at and return stones you don't like.

I had initially bought an OEC from a reputable eBay seller that wasn't going to work, so I returned it. I was fortunate in that that particular seller vastly undervalued the diamond when he shipped it, so I didn't have to pay much duty. I then contacted Erica at Love Affair Diamonds, Grace at Jewels by Grace and Adam at Old World Diamonds-- I ended up buying one from Erica but they were all incredibly lovely to work with-- Erica made me many videos of side by side comparisons when I was deciding.

One other thing I would urge is that if you find you like OECs, you not rule out M coloured stones. For some reason Ms ended up being my colour sweet spot and it lowers the price considerably. I was initially considering some Js and Ks, but now that mine is all set, I'm really glad I didn't go with them as I feel that the (very, very slight) tint really showcases the chunky facets.

Good luck. I hope you find something gorgeous!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeousgigi|1461330006|4022403 said:
Hello
I am hoping someone can help with advice about choosing a good OEC that will have excellent light performance.
I have just returned an OEC I purchased via ebay as the colour was coming out at an S-T which is too low for me (I only know this now!).
I am looking for a J/K/L OEC in the 1.5-2.0 carat range, VS clarity, with the usual small table stats (around 45-50% I guess). My budgte is around $7,500
How do I judge light performance from photos (I am buying in the US but live in the UK). CVB are designing a ring for me.....
I guess I don't want to make another mistake but I am struggling as to how to evaluate stones remotely and also what I should be paying roughly per carat.
If anyone has any advice I would appreciate your input. Also apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum.
Thank you
Tina

I second the other poster as well about opening up your the color preference- there are some really great looking M's and N's out there. The usual suspects (Adam, Grace and Erica) are all really accommodating with comparative photos and videos etc.

Where are you located in the UK? Are you open to shopping locally? I used to live there and always had a lot of fun shopping at Gray's in London near Bond St. There are a ton of dealers with lots to choose from. It would take a lot of sifting since there is soooooooo much there (definitely lots of duds) but it definitely has the advantage of being able to see things in person. I've really like John Joseph, they've always been helpful and very willing to try to source things that they don't have on hand.

My other thought is- if you really want light performance- have you considered a repro cut? The modern old euro's are cut especially for light performance and are very lovely. Downside is they are pricey- however, you won't have to worry about making a mistake because they are basically guaranteed to be perfect.

Gorgeousgigi

Rough_Rock
Hello
Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions! I will definitely keep an open mind about M colour as I do love the warmth of those tones.
I have a setting in mind (hopefully with CVB) but not yet managed to source a diamond so am a little on tender hooks until I find 'the one'. I will have a look at Grace, Erika and OWD to see if anything catches my eye.
Thank you again
Tina

Gorgeousgigi

Rough_Rock
Sorry - to answer specifics I live on the south coast but visit London regularly so could have a look there. Thanks for suggesting Grays.
And I would consider a repro but think this may be outside budget. I do love the AVR cut from GOG so will go back and relook at that.
Thanks again - really appreciate the help.
Tina

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
If you were in London I would offer to meet up and show you my M! On the subject of colour, I have a family art deco ring with a 1 carat E coloured OEC and while it's a beautiful ring, I actually don't like it as much because I feel like the very white colour makes the diamond look more like a modern round brilliant.

In your position, I'd email Grace and Erica and Adam and tell them what you're looking for- if they don't have it, they can often find it. I know Grace and Erica have often worked with CVB, so they might be able to put their heads together. I did it the complicated way, but having the stone sent here and then sending it back to the U.S. for setting, but having done it once, in all honesty, next time I'd trust them to pick me a good stone.

If you're looking at modern oec cuts, there was a 3 carat M Canera european round that someone posted on here recently that looked stunning. They are more expensive, but I suspect they're cut more efficiently, so you might get a bigger spread for less weight.

Here's the Victor Canera OEC thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-victor-my-anniversary-bling.221838/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-victor-my-anniversary-bling.221838/[/URL]

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeousgigi|1461347680|4022487 said:
Sorry - to answer specifics I live on the south coast but visit London regularly so could have a look there. Thanks for suggesting Grays.
And I would consider a repro but think this may be outside budget. I do love the AVR cut from GOG so will go back and relook at that.
Thanks again - really appreciate the help.
Tina

No worries, I'd definitely check there, and you might even be able to get more for your money since the exchange rate is so crap at the moment. I could spend the whole day at Gray's! Plus I know a few of the dealers will export/fedex your stuff to the US using their corporate/insured accounts which might help with getting the stone to CVB. Not sure how that would impact the tax and import aspect though to get it back to you.

GOG has an 2.1 M/SI1 for a bit over $12k at the moment :think:

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What about this one?
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-71ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-l-si2/

It's a SI2 clarity but it's eye clean.

I bought my OEC from jbg and she has a very lovely collection. Each OEC is different so it depends on which kind of facet pattern looks good to your eyes.

This is slightly off round but depending on the setting you picked it might work.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-62ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-vs2#.VxqcSPkrKUk

Slightly smaller than what you're looking for but color and clarity are on spot.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-36ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-vs1#.VxqbrvkrKUk

I like this one too:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-36ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs1#.Vxqb5vkrKUk
and this
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-34ct-old-european-cut-gia-g-si2#.VxqcDPkrKUk

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you should ask mods to move thread to RockyTalk you may get far more assistance there.

honn

Rough_Rock
Hi Gorgeousgigi, I posted my Canera OEC a while ago and I am very happy about it. As jaaron posted you will be able to find my M color ring. If I were choosing H&A or brilliant round stone I would have chosen a higher color but for OEC, lower color grades are charming especially with a touch of tasteful antique flavor designed basket ring. Victor's signature stones come with a price but the cut is guaranteed. My M shines like crazy.

_3271.jpeg

Gorgeousgigi

Rough_Rock
Hello
Jaaron I am often in London and would love to see your M. I would love to get a feel for this colour in real life.
Honn wowwwweeeee what a stunning ring that diamond just glows.
oC girl thank you for those links. I love the L on LAD. I am going to email Erica!!
Thanks everyone I really appreciate your help.
Tina

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results