shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a ring... I need help!! Custom Setting guidance.

hannahrey

Rough_Rock
I was trying to find the correct section for my question/story, whatever you want to call it, and decided that since I am "a lady in waiting" that this would do.

In April (2011), my boyfriend was given a promotion at work that would require him to relocated 2,000 miles away from the west coast to the east coast. He asked me to move with him. I, of course, said yes. About 2-3 weeks after I arrived and we finally got all the boxes unpacked and the house organized I got the biggest shock. We were driving to the movies on a Saturday afternoon and a conversation about a friend who was married, or just got married lead to the question "what type of ring do you like?". I was in shock, literally. I'm not easily surprised but he totally swept the ground out from under me on this one in the best possible way.

I already had an idea of what I loved. I had fallen in love with halo styles long before I ever thought someone would propose or think about proposing to me. At that point of the conversation (our movie theater is about 30 minutes from our home) we discussed style, budget and the other basics. He didn't really know what I meant when I described it so when we got home a showed him a couple pictures. I spent the next month looking online, reading about diamond standards, what to look for, what not to look for and anything else I could think of. I was overwhelmed to say the least. It came to a point where I was in love with a style of ring (that I found through someone's pricescope topic) and decided that to go anywhere else I should probably start looking at real rings, on my finger. I was so excited! haha.

I wanted him there through every step. Every idea, choice, interaction, you name it. So we picked a day that we were free together and I looked up some local jewelers and your mall-chain jewelers and made a game plan to embark upon. This was the hard part for me, we haven't lived here very long at all, we don't know anyone in the area to ask opinions so we had to go based on what we felt when we met the people and what others had rated them online. We made it to our last stop which was a long-standing, highly rated local jeweler and just laid it all out. What I wanted, what our budget was, and she went to work. We picked a diamond closest to what I wanted that they had in stock (an elongated cushion). We sat at the computer and she took a halo ring from the cabinet and altered it in the computer to get as closely to what I wanted as she could. Keep in mind that I know what I want is something uncommon and most likely going to be custom. We found out the setting would end up being around $1,300 and that a diamond would have to be under a carat to stay in our price range ($5,000). I really didn't like this. My little heart was crushed. I didn't need a huge rock but I wasn't in love with it.

After this revelation they told me they would look for diamonds with their suppliers that fit our budget and would call me when they had a few sent in. When I got home I decided to start looking at alternatives, mostly gemstones. My favorite color in the whole world is teal. So I started there. That is when I found alexandrite. I was very excited, it changed colors, it would be so unique. Then I researched average prices... WAY TOO MUCH. Might as well be getting a diamond. Then I stumbled upon aquamarines. I fell in love. They were light enough to be simple and elegant but had just enough baby blue in them to be unique and special. I knew they were cheaper than diamonds so that was an upside. I loved the look and by most online ratings they would be okay for an e-ring. When I got to the jewelers to look at the diamonds that came in I brought up this option to the woman I was working with. She pretty much shot it down as soon as I said it. She said that if I wanted to go with something other than a diamond that my best bet would really be a sapphire for its strength. I'll admit I am pretty rough so a part of me definitely agreed. She showed me some types of sapphire that they had in the store. They had a teal one that was gorgeous. I decided to have her look into teal and light, light, light blue sapphires and see what they could come up with.

This past weekend we went in to see the stone they found with they thought would be "perfect". It wasn't the cut I wanted, it was a square radiant stone just over 1 carat. But I saw it and was in love. They put it over a setting and even my boyfriend's jaw dropped. We knew we had found the perfect stone and it wasn't an arm and a leg (it was under $2,000). I was amazed! I know that my boyfriend gave me a 5k budget but I have been on the lower middle class or lower class scale my whole life. The idea of walking around with 5k on my finger is frightening. So I set myself a budget of $3,000-4,000. I knew that it was possible and we aren't in a big rush, patience is a virtue and this process is well worth every bit of it. So in my mind, I was set. $1,300 setting, $2,000 stone. I was right where I wanted to be.

Please forgive the book. I feel it is best understood that by this point we were so happy. We had put a deposit down on the stone and were ready to figure out the setting and get my dream ring. The jewelers had been nothing but patient, helpful and encouraging without ever being persistent, rude or "saleman-y". We left after putting down on the stone happy, excited and on cloud nine. Then I got a phone call Monday. They said that my setting was going to be full custom and we would be looking at $2,500 for just the setting. My entire mood dropped. Being a rational, level-headed, money-conscious person I cannot seem to justify $2,500 for a halo setting with a single shank band that is low set to my finger with no diamond pave in the band. I am very simple. I only want to stones in the halo part with an antique feel by keeping the metal down as low from the diamond halo. Here is the closest thing I could find online to what I'm looking for:

Layla%20new%20halo%20garden.jpg

This is the link to where I found it : http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=472982

I understand that it is unusual. I understand it will have to be custom (of some sort) but I can't fathom it being $2,500. They want us to come in and put a deposit down for the price of $2,500 and then they will carve the wax mold and cast the ring and then weigh it. Once that has been completed they will adjust our remaining balance accordingly. I know nothing about this process and feel, for the first time, uncomfortable with how they are handling it. I was near the store yesterday so I stopped in to make sure I was clear on what they were saying and how things were going to happen and she brought up the payment for the down on the setting and we had told her that he is traveling for two weeks and is only back when they are closed so it will be the middle of August before we can come back in and get started on the setting. She brought up to me while I was there alone that they take credit cards over the phone and that he can do that if he would like. I didn't like this and he REALLY didn't like this. From our perspective, once we put down on the stone everything changed. We hate that this is how we feel because to this point they were amazing.

I guess what I am looking for is perspective. Opinions on whether we are overreacting, or this is really how the jeweler world is... We are starting to consider paying off the stone and keeping it until we find another jeweler to make the setting, if it is an option. As well as getting counter offers for the custom setting from other local jewelers. I think we may look at counter offers just to be safe and cover our bases but this was the last thing I expected once we bought the stone.

I am truly open to hearing any guidance, opinions, and perspectives of others. I want to make sure we are doing the right thing for this investment. Thank you if you have read this far, I know it is long. I look forward to hearing from you :)

Seattle SC

Shiny_Rock
Re: Choosing a ring... I need help!! Custom Setting guidance

So I'll admit when I first started reading your post,I saw that you found the setting for 1300 and for some reason I thought you meant that was the original quote of the custom and I thought to myself, wow, that seems really low for a custom setting halo at a jewelry store! After reading your whole post, I reread it and realized that the original setting was likely something they carry in stock.

I'm not going to be a ton of help since I"m not familar with halo prices but I will give you an idea of what I had gone through previously. I did the same thing as you, went to different stores and tried to narrow down what I really liked. I'm a very indecisive person, but for some reason after looking at various settings I eventually was able to narrow down pretty much everything - even how thick I wanted the band. Premade settings that were somewhat close in stores ranged in the 1.5-2.5k range. I went to a local jeweler and told him my specs for custom and the quote he offered was over 6k - which I thought was outrageous. Eventually I contacted some of the stores that are commonly mentioned on this site and gave them my specs for the custom route and they came back at around 2.5-3.5k which seemed much more reasonable.

Do I think that the custom quote is too high vs the original setting? Not really, but I do think it would be wise to ask some of the places mentioned here to give you a quote. Keep in mind that many will charge and additional fee because you're using your own stone, and some places will likely not work on a stone that is not theirs or something other than a diamond. Anothing thing to consider is what warrenties will your jeweler provide you in case you run into any issues down the road? I hope that helps a little bit at least, keep us updated with what you decide to do!

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

The initial $1,300 quote was for a CAD design of a ring. The only reason I think it may have been so low is because it was something they could have sent specs to the manufacturer who made the setting it was based off of to fill in areas of the manufacturer's wax mold and cast it, making it cheaper.

I guess, my first hang up is that I was told the original was a custom setting. The only thing changing from that first design is the shape of the stone. I didn't expect that changing the stone shape would cause such a huge difference. Secondly, I think I expected to know exactly how much it would cost before I put down money on a design. Lastly, I will be putting money down on a setting to be carved and cast based on a mental picture I have and hoping that what I have conveyed is what they will be making. The original setting was a CAD drawing and this new one would not have a CAD drawing or even a hand sketch. That I think is my greatest fear. Paying for something based off of hoping they understand what I'm explaining. It leaves so much room for interpretation and miscommunication which is the last thing I want on either side.

You do make some great points about taking a single stone to another jeweler and running into hang ups with that situation. I wouldn't have thought about that until I ran into it. Thank you so much for your reply. It definitely helped get an outside perspective from your situation and advice/opinion :)

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That is Gypsy's ring, and I'll bet it set her back more than that quote. IIRC she got it from Steven Kirsch.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

The picture you posted is a fellow PSer Gyspy. I dont think it's that unusual actually. What you are showing us in the picture is an Asscher cut stone in a pave halo with a plain shank. When it comes to a setting price, you have to keep in mind that diamond and metal prices are on the rise so it's going to probably cost more than you think...

Have you looked at James Allen?
inquire about the pricing to have this setting made to fit an asscher:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...te-Gold-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html

examples--

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1203669.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1392326.asp

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

Amys Bling said:
The picture you posted is a fellow PSer Gyspy. I dont think it's that unusual actually. What you are showing us in the picture is an Asscher cut stone in a pave halo with a plain shank. When it comes to a setting price, you have to keep in mind that diamond and metal prices are on the rise so it's going to probably cost more than you think...

Have you looked at James Allen?
inquire about the pricing to have this setting made to fit an asscher:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...te-Gold-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html

examples--

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1203669.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1392326.asp

That is very true. It would actually need to be a radiant. That is the stone we have put a down payment on. Gyspy's ring is beautiful and the closest look for the band (from the top) that I have been able to find. What I am looking for apparently doesn't come standard. I will definitely keep the rise in prices in mind. I'm still so very new at all of this. It has only been a couple months so we are still trying to find our way. There truly is so much information and so many different options to consider. Most days I feel like my head will explode if I keep thinking about it!

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

rubyprincess said:
I think you can find a reasonable version via eternitydiamonds.com
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/

Look at this: $800 in WG and $1300 in PLAT
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/products/Engagement/7201D.jpg
having trouble with image posting today sorry!

Thank you so much for posting links! :) They are gorgeous! I don't know if it is because I am new to all of this or if it is just me but I am very scared about ordering anything online. I'm a worrywart so I fear I would give myself ulcers waiting to see if it was right or not. Any words of advice or opinions on buying online that a newbie should know?

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

MissStepcut|1312395808|2983267 said:
That is Gypsy's ring, and I'll bet it set her back more than that quote. IIRC she got it from Steven Kirsch.

This ring is gorgeous and if it is Steven Kirsch I bet it did. I would love to think I could afford to go to him and have a dream setting created. Reading reviews about him make it sound like he is a dream to work with. This girl will dream :) haha

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

hannahrey|1312398078|2983300 said:

This ring is gorgeous and if it is Steven Kirsch I bet it did. I would love to think I could afford to go to him and have a dream setting created. Reading reviews about him make it sound like he is a dream to work with. This girl will dream :) haha
Yeah, I know how you feel. I went to SK first too and then got a reality check. I would try ID Jewelers for something custom: I hear they consistently have the most reasonable quotes.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissStepcut|1312400401|2983329 said:

Yeah, I know how you feel. I went to SK first too and then got a reality check. I would try ID Jewelers for something custom: I hear they consistently have the most reasonable quotes.

I second contacting IDJewelry (idjewelryonline.com) as they do nice work and tend to be more reasonable in their pricing.

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

Amys Bling|1312413730|2983538 said:
MissStepcut|1312400401|2983329 said:

I second contacting IDJewelry (idjewelryonline.com) as they do nice work and tend to be more reasonable in their pricing.

Thank you Amys Bling and MissStepcut! I will add this to my "to look-into list" :)

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock

hannahrey|1312397956|2983297 said:
rubyprincess said:
I think you can find a reasonable version via eternitydiamonds.com
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/

Look at this: $800 in WG and $1300 in PLAT
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/products/Engagement/7201D.jpg
having trouble with image posting today sorry!

Thank you so much for posting links! :) They are gorgeous! I don't know if it is because I am new to all of this or if it is just me but I am very scared about ordering anything online. I'm a worrywart so I fear I would give myself ulcers waiting to see if it was right or not. Any words of advice or opinions on buying online that a newbie should know?

Good news is eternitydiamonds will send you FREE SAMPLES before you buy. Of course you have to return them :) but it takes the fear out of buying online sight unseen. I've never bought from them but if you search their name on this site you will find oodles of happy customers.

ETA: I also recommend IDJ! I bought earrings from this company and they were FANTASTIC and very reasonable!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock

I can try and give you a little insight on the custom e-ring process as I am having mine completed within 10 days. (Yay!) This is the process that we went through in a nutshell:

*Set up an initial meeting to discuss specs. Told him what cut, color and size of sapphire I was looking for. I also showed him pictures of what settings I liked for him to keep in mind.
*Second meeting he had some sapphires for me to look at and I picked a stone from there. At that same meeting we went to his cousins shop where they custom make settings and I got to look at literally hundreds and from there I choose four. Once that I liked the top view of, side, shank and basket design. From there he said he would make a CAD for me to approve.
*He emailed us the CAD, and once I approved it, he said he was going to make the gold for me to approve before any diamonds went onto it.
*Yesterday we went into his office and I tried on the ring and discuss the different sizes of diamonds that would go in the halo, the shanks and the basket. On a side note: our jeweler mentioned that many of the pre-made settings you get from a chain store or even jewelry stores that get their settings from somewhere else may get them from China where the setting is literally hollow inside. They can make them cheaper that way, but customers still end up paying a premium. He showed me some rings he was working on because they broke from being hollow. It was surprising that that sort of thing is so prevalent. He assured me that by getting a custom setting, it was pure gold. And I could tell! Just the gold with no stone or diamonds on it was heavy! In a good, weighty way.
*The next step is he will finish the ring! (Although I'm not allowed to be involved anymore because the BF has to keep it a surprise somehow).

I don't know if our jeweler is in the minority, or the shop you went to is handling things differently, but we didn't have to put a deposit down until yesterday once I was sure I was happy with the gold. He said that we had to make sure we were completely happy before putting any money down.

My advice, buy the diamond and search elsewhere for an appropriate setting if these people are giving you a bad feeling.

Good luck and keep us updated!

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

RebeccaMUA|1312437187|2983831 said:
I can try and give you a little insight on the custom e-ring process as I am having mine completed within 10 days. (Yay!) This is the process that we went through in a nutshell:

*Set up an initial meeting to discuss specs. Told him what cut, color and size of sapphire I was looking for. I also showed him pictures of what settings I liked for him to keep in mind.
*Second meeting he had some sapphires for me to look at and I picked a stone from there. At that same meeting we went to his cousins shop where they custom make settings and I got to look at literally hundreds and from there I choose four. Once that I liked the top view of, side, shank and basket design. From there he said he would make a CAD for me to approve.
*He emailed us the CAD, and once I approved it, he said he was going to make the gold for me to approve before any diamonds went onto it.
*Yesterday we went into his office and I tried on the ring and discuss the different sizes of diamonds that would go in the halo, the shanks and the basket. On a side note: our jeweler mentioned that many of the pre-made settings you get from a chain store or even jewelry stores that get their settings from somewhere else may get them from China where the setting is literally hollow inside. They can make them cheaper that way, but customers still end up paying a premium. He showed me some rings he was working on because they broke from being hollow. It was surprising that that sort of thing is so prevalent. He assured me that by getting a custom setting, it was pure gold. And I could tell! Just the gold with no stone or diamonds on it was heavy! In a good, weighty way.
*The next step is he will finish the ring! (Although I'm not allowed to be involved anymore because the BF has to keep it a surprise somehow).

I don't know if our jeweler is in the minority, or the shop you went to is handling things differently, but we didn't have to put a deposit down until yesterday once I was sure I was happy with the gold. He said that we had to make sure we were completely happy before putting any money down.

My advice, buy the diamond and search elsewhere for an appropriate setting if these people are giving you a bad feeling.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Thank you so much for sharing your story RebeccaMUA! I've seen your thread and I can't wait to see your finished ring :) This definitely helps me not feel crazy about the way they are handling it. I will keep updating as we go through our process!

Thank you again to everyone for posting their stories, opinion, and advice. I've been going crazy not telling anyone for months! haha

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock

That is what this forum is here for.
I ditto RebeccaMUA sentiments "search elsewhere for an appropriate setting if these people are giving you a bad feeling."

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

$2500 custom?!

You didn't mention if you were going for WG or PLAT. In addition to the recommendations already given, I'm recommending DanielM from Etsy.

His shop is here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry?ref=pr_shop_more

Here's a link to his custom work: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e1183cf05a4a49ef&sc=photos&lc=1033&id=E1183CF05A4A49EF%21118

I asked for a quote once for an incredibly intricate, diamond laden setting and the quote was BEYOND reasonable! Definitely within/below your budget.

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

16ocean|1312517697|2984599 said:
That is what this forum is here for.
I ditto RebeccaMUA sentiments "search elsewhere for an appropriate setting if these people are giving you a bad feeling."

Thank you 16ocean. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward going else where to have my setting. In the next couple weeks I will be going around with my SO to check out other local designers and then online options. I will keep everyone updated :)

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

wakingdreams53|1312519748|2984626 said:
$2500 custom?!

You didn't mention if you were going for WG or PLAT. In addition to the recommendations already given, I'm recommending DanielM from Etsy.

His shop is here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry?ref=pr_shop_more

Here's a link to his custom work: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e1183cf05a4a49ef&sc=photos&lc=1033&id=E1183CF05A4A49EF%21118

I asked for a quote once for an incredibly intricate, diamond laden setting and the quote was BEYOND reasonable! Definitely within/below your budget.

Probably white gold but in all honesty they haven't even asked me which I preferred.

His work is beautiful! I will definitely add him to my list :)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I love halos with plain shanks... which is why I started this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/[/URL]

Whiteflash has a version called the Guinevere, and I've had the sample from Eternity Diamonds and it's just lovely (and can be modified for any shape stone). I've also gotten a quote from Daniel M on Etsy and it was extremely reasonable.

Some people aren't comfortable making a big purchase online, but there are more than few benefits:

1) competitive prices
2) excellent customer service via e-mail and phone
3) policies laid out in writing which are easy to understand (including return policies)

All of the Pricescope vendors have been used over and over again by people on these forums, and we wouldn't recommend them if we didn't have full faith and confidence that you'd be getting the best quality for the money. A lot of jewelry stores rely on the fact that people know nothing about diamonds or how jewelry should be priced. Pricescope vendors knows their customers are savvy, and provide information that other jewelers don't even try to offer (from ASET images to videos of diamonds). Good luck! :wavey:

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

rubybeth|1312553999|2984788 said:
I love halos with plain shanks... which is why I started this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/[/URL]

Whiteflash has a version called the Guinevere, and I've had the sample from Eternity Diamonds and it's just lovely (and can be modified for any shape stone). I've also gotten a quote from Daniel M on Etsy and it was extremely reasonable.

Some people aren't comfortable making a big purchase online, but there are more than few benefits:

1) competitive prices
2) excellent customer service via e-mail and phone
3) policies laid out in writing which are easy to understand (including return policies)

All of the Pricescope vendors have been used over and over again by people on these forums, and we wouldn't recommend them if we didn't have full faith and confidence that you'd be getting the best quality for the money. A lot of jewelry stores rely on the fact that people know nothing about diamonds or how jewelry should be priced. Pricescope vendors knows their customers are savvy, and provide information that other jewelers don't even try to offer (from ASET images to videos of diamonds). Good luck! :wavey:

Rubybeth, I love the thread you started! I so appreciate your perspective and online/long distance is something I am seriously considering. It just seems like the customer service is SOOO much better from all the reviews I've been reading.

I learn more and more every single minute I spend on this site and I am so thankful for everyone's input! :wavey:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

All I can say is go with your gut. If it seems fishy, there's a good chance it is. I wouldn't want to give my money to a business that seems shady.

I hear where you are coming from costwise--I have been freaking out about the expense of the ring, myself. But my guy has been assuring me that he just wants me to be happy with the ring, that he can afford it, and he wants to be proud to show it off too. So, although it seems like a lot of money to be walking around with on your hand, he would not give you a budget that he couldn't afford, so I think you should make sure you should get what thrills you, even if it means spending a little more than you are comfortable with.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think that's way too much money for a setting from a random jeweler. A similar setting from Whiteflash http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/guinevere-solitaire-engagement-ring-180.htm is only $1450 and their settings are very high quality.

I would also ask for help finding a stone you like in the Colored Stones section. The store may be overcharging you on the sapphire, too. Plus it wasn't even the shape you originally wanted.

Good luck to you!

ETA I went with Whiteflash for my custom engagement ring and custom wedding band and was very happy with the results.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Do a search on Stuller for "halo". They have several styles that would use a diamond halo. They and Adwar also have halo peg heads that you could have your jeweler put into a Roseco 2.5mm cathedral style shank, and it would give you that look without a huge price tag. Unique Settings also has a lot of halo rings, and the sizes are listed so you can pick by the measurements of your stone, and give the item number to your jeweler.

The stone sounds very pretty, can't wait to see the finished ring!

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

Just wanted to drop in with an update for everyone who has helped me with this post. Per my SO's request we didn't end up going online or through an out of state designer/vendor for the setting. In any great relationship there must always be compromise and this situation was no different. With having an existing stone it just wasn't in his comfort zone and I completely understand. So we took some time away from the subject to revisit it with a clear head and decided that leaving our initial jeweler was the correct choice for us. It was just a matter of finding a local custom designer to help us with building my dream setting.

I had heard a lot about a man named Jay Sharpe who has been well known throughout the Richmond community for is his custom lines and work with not only couples but a handful of named celebrities. I knew that going to him was very hopeful. I just didn't want to end up a scenario that most us ladies find in just about any medium. You go look at an item, try on a dress, a pair of shoes, etc. You know they are probably out of your range but you just want to know whether it fits, it is right, etc. In the end you end up head over heels for for an item that you simply can't afford. I did this with my prom dress in high school so I know first hand how shitty it feels and I did not want to do that with the most important gift of my life. So I was very cautious when I began considering Jay Sharpe as my designer. Being that Jay Sharpe is very well reviewed I was excited, but many posted that they wish he was in their price range. I don't know the reviewers budgets but coming from a shop that quoted a rough $2,500 for my custom setting I could only imagine that he would be way above our scale. I decided it was worth setting up a meeting and seeing what the consultation was like because at this point we wanted a true fit. The kind of personality and process fit you look for when finding an assistant or nanny.

Needless to say our expectations were meet, exceeded and it was beyond fantastic. Jay is awesome. Super understanding about how picky I was about certain small details. Able to give suggestions in places where I was flexible. Knows the business, knows costs, what works best for what scenario. Loves hand carving pieces but understands that some pieces (like mine) with specific details (like mine, lol) can require or at least be less painful and drawn out with CAD assistance. At the end of the consultation not only did we love his style and process but the quote he gave us was more reasonable than we had expected. We are now looking at around $1,800 for the setting. This will put the total cost of the entire ring under $4,000 which was my goal!

I cannot explain how excited I am. We have begun the CAD process based off of the drawings he made with my SO and I. I will be adding pictures as we go along in the process :)

Thank you again for all of your input and help when I first came to PriceScope. I know that my budget isn't the average on here but having such a welcoming community to come to when I wasn't able to talk to anyone else about it was so relieving and helpful.

Thanks!
xoxohannah

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

do you by chance have a picture of your sapphire? i would love to see!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

violet3|1314986803|3008430 said:
do you by chance have a picture of your sapphire? i would love to see!
Me too!!

hannahrey

Rough_Rock

I do!

It is just taken with my iPhone so it isn't the greatest quality but I love it.

IMG_2170_2_0.jpg

P.S. Under light it looks a bit lighter, like an aquamarine. I needed durability but I didn't want to go with a deep blue. Just not my style :bigsmile:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hannahrey|1315017717|3008791 said:
I do!

It is just taken with my iPhone so it isn't the greatest quality but I love it.

IMG_2170_2_0.jpg

P.S. Under light it looks a bit lighter, like an aquamarine. I needed durability but I didn't want to go with a deep blue. Just not my style :bigsmile:

It's so beautiful - I love the radiant cut and the sparkle/light it lets in. I am a huge fan of all sapphires - i have a love for the cornflower blue ones and also the light ones. Yours has a beautiful hue, almost a baby blue. I bet it's going to make one heck of an engagement ring!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results