shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a Diamond for Engagement Ring

Soltis125

Rough_Rock
I'm certainly not a diamond expert, and I've been reading some of the threads on here and elsewhere to learn a bit more about choosing a diamond for my upcoming engagement.

My partner definitely prioritizes cut over other the other Cs, but I want to make sure I'm choosing wisely and choosing something that's going to look great in our ring in all aspects, not just in cut.

Here were a few of the top options I was looking at:

I'm open to looking at other options, especially if there's problems with these I haven't realized!

Looking forward to and appreciating your feedback,
J

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suggest you do your search using Pricescope search at the top of the page.
You will still find lots of BlueNile stones - but they will be ranked by HCA cut quality. Then your partner and you can all be happy :)

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I'm certainly not a diamond expert, and I've been reading some of the threads on here and elsewhere to learn a bit more about choosing a diamond for my upcoming engagement.

My partner definitely prioritizes cut over other the other Cs, but I want to make sure I'm choosing wisely and choosing something that's going to look great in our ring in all aspects, not just in cut.

Here were a few of the top options I was looking at:

I'm open to looking at other options, especially if there's problems with these I haven't realized!

Looking forward to and appreciating your feedback,
J

What is your budget you are working with and also your preferences with the 4 C's?

Soltis125

Rough_Rock
The budget isn't 100% fixed, but the ones I marked above are in the range I was looking at - but I'm willing to bump it up a bit from there.

I'd say my ranking is cut > clarity > color, with a hard minimum of 1 carat that I'm not willing to go below.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the purposes of searching, then, I'm going to use 7k as approximate max. You didn't mention specific color sensitivity, so likely H and above will be fine. I'll look and let you know what is out there!

PS. does it need to be blue nile?

Soltis125

Rough_Rock
PS. does it need to be blue nile?

It doesn't have to be blue nile, but I don't want to use JamesAllen - I've seen enough people have bad experiences with them on here and elsewhere that I'd prefer to avoid them. Others are okay

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't have to be blue nile, but I don't want to use JamesAllen - I've seen enough people have bad experiences with them on here and elsewhere that I'd prefer to avoid them. Others are okay

If your partner prioritizes cut above all else, then I would go with a super ideal cut stone. WF is among the best for cut (their branded "A cut above" line or "expert select"). For GIA stones that are very well cut they provide all the light performance info which I really appreciate.

I would choose either

or

Both get you above 1ct and look great. Plus you have a $1 upgrade policy if you ever want a larger stone later on.

Soltis125

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the first one, should I be worried about the 58% table percentage? I've heard the 54-57 rule of thumb in terms of making the cut look its best

In general thats true, but if you have advanced images and they look good then 58 table is perfectly fine

Soltis125

Rough_Rock

We took a look at the videos of both of these together, and this was the preferred of the two, but she wasn't sure how the "threads" would hold up when it's actually on her finger - we're leaning this one for now, but open to other suggestions too.

The darker mark right in the center of this one (in the video) made it less preferable to us than the one above.

Thanks again for all the help,
J

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We took a look at the videos of both of these together, and this was the preferred of the two, but she wasn't sure how the "threads" would hold up when it's actually on her finger - we're leaning this one for now, but open to other suggestions too.

Are you referring to the Twining Wisp? If so, they are not an issue in this stone. This is a VS2 clarity stone and
twining wisps at that level are rarely (probably never) an issue. This is a nice stone with all the images to show
you that it is a good performer. I would not let the twining wisp be a deterrent.

Soltis125

Rough_Rock
After hearing about the higher cut that you mentioned above, I've done some more looking, and I think this one might be a good match for what we want:

But then I kept looking, and I'd like to know if any of these are better than it:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After hearing about the higher cut that you mentioned above, I've done some more looking, and I think this one might be a good match for what we want:

But then I kept looking, and I'd like to know if any of these are better than it:

The 'a cut above' line is the best of the best. So personally I'd pick the largest stone I could afford within my color/clarity preferences. Or if you really cant decide, ask WF for IRL pics of the ones you are deciding between.

I would choose any of the WF over the BN choices

munchee

Brilliant_Rock

I like the 1.148 G ACA because its bigger than the other 3 ACAs and the 1.18 G ACA looks somehow milky in the video, maybe it’s not milky IRL but judging solely based on video I’ll pick 1.148.

M

mx5_dvr

I have just gone through the process and I ended up with James Allen (I used Blue Nile also).

The reasons for James Allen are:
1. Their 360 degree video is much better than anyone else.
2. Their price is really the best. I got a 1.26ct H color IF clarity, none fluorescence with the following proportions (by GIA) for $8270.
3. Their packaging/presentation is really much better than anyone else.
4. As long as it's not a fancy setting, it can't go much wrong. I picked classic 6-prong presentation white gold setting which is only $240. Setting will not retain any value anyway.

With $150 referral, you practically only pay as low as $90 for a setting, which is unheard of...

I have also gone through a return process to return an I color in order to get this H color and it was a smooth process.

I highly recommend James Allen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 16.49.23.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 16.49.23.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results