shape
carat
color
clarity

cholesterol high, help!!

Discussion in 'Healthy Lifestyle' started by asscherisme, Jun 30, 2010.

1. asscherisme
    Ideal_Rock

by asscherisme » Jun 30, 2010
    OK, so I just went for a physical and had routine blood work done. I fond out that my cholesterol is slightly high and HDL (good) is too low and LDL (bad) is too high.

My doctor told me I have 6 months to make lifestyle changes to try and lower it and we will retest then and if they numbers are too high, will start medication.

So... other than lose weight and workout more, what suggestions can you all give to get my cholesterol where it should be?

This was kind of shockingbecause its always been low. But this past year I have been under a TREMENDOUS amount of stress and have eaten very unhealthy and kind of let msyelf go. I need to pull it together.

Help!

2. mary poppins
    Ideal_Rock

by mary poppins » Jun 30, 2010
    Sounds like you need to (1) adopt dietary changes that you can learn about on the internet; and (2) exercise. After that, I hope you see some changes so you don''t have to take medication. Good luck!

3. Amanda.Rx
    Brilliant_Rock

by Amanda.Rx » Jul 7, 2010
    1. Exercise, even if just a little a day: this will help to raise your HDL

2. Pay attention to fiber intake and work to increase it. Do this slowly, or else you may have some stomach discomfort and gas. Eat more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Just make sure you're not loading them down with butter or other high fat toppings. Kashi cereals, oatmeal or 100% whole wheat bread, fruit, and egg whites are good options for breakfast and a great place to start.

3. Limit your high cholesterol foods like certain meats and eggs. You can google cholesterol content in foods- that may help serve as a guide.

If you do have to start on a medication, don't panic. You may need it to help prevent heart attacks and strokes, if you cholesterol remains high. Sometimes cholesterol cannot be controlled by diet alone. If your cholesterol is genetic (comes from your family history), you may need medication to control it. It's great that you're taking the steps to try to modify your lifestyle, though. That's always the healthier choice and the preferred choice, since most all medications can have unwanted side effects.

4. Bliss
    Ideal_Rock

by Bliss » Jul 8, 2010
    (((hugs))) One year when I had the most stressful job of my life, my cholesterol topped 200. I was 28 at the time and underweight, so this was a huge shock to me and my doctor. Well, I left that job because it took such a toll on my health. Since then, my cholesterol has always been around 135-140 with plenty of the "good" cholesterol. I think besides lifestyle, reducing stress is huge in helping to lower cholesterol. I turned to yoga, meditation and cut out things that stressed me out the most - in my case, it was my job! I hope that helps. In some cases, it might be genetic - do your parents have high cholesterol? It does not have to be a huge red flag - many people have high cholesterol and live long and healthy lives. The key is to just do the best you can with diet, exercise and lifestyle. For me, lifestyle was key because I was a healthy eater and active person. A small handful of nuts (dry roasted or raw, NOT fried in oil) will help boost your good cholesterol! Hope that helps! Focus on doing things that "boost" your good feelings and happiness, too. :wavey: It all helps!

5. Miss Sparkly
    Brilliant_Rock

by Miss Sparkly » Jul 13, 2010
    There have actually been studies done that show that eggs barely raise your cholesterol and they raise both LDL and HDL equally. Limit red meats and high fat dairy. High quality fish oil, good fiber (not the added fiber to white bread type) and flaxseeds with oatmeal are wonderful. I consider flaxseeds to be a "superfood" as they have healthy omega's, lots of fiber and can help with hormonal fluxuations.

voce likes this.
  6. Stephan
    Ideal_Rock

by Stephan » Aug 20, 2010
    Fruit, vegetable, canola oil, fish, nuts, oat bran, psyllium and exercise! ;-)

7. soocool
    Ideal_Rock

by soocool » Aug 20, 2010
    Ditto what everyone else has said but I want to add:

handful of nuts (walnuts, almonds), seeds (sunflower,pumpkin seeds- I add these to salads), and flaxseed meal (I add it to yogurt or cereal).

Almost forgot, that avocadoes are great in helping lower cholestrol

8. steph72276
    Ideal_Rock

by steph72276 » Aug 20, 2010
    Did your doc mention anything about fish oil supplements? My husband's good cholesterol was low, so he was told to take a fish oil supplement everyday. I would ask your MD first though.

9. ImpatientOne
    Brilliant_Rock

by ImpatientOne » Aug 20, 2010
    Fish oil supplements did the trick for both me and my hubby!

10. Stephan
    Ideal_Rock

by Stephan » Aug 21, 2010
    I eat fish - canola oil - nuts everyday yet my good cholesterol is still too low.
    But I did manage to lower my bad cholesterol, it's fine now.

11. ysj99
    Shiny_Rock

by ysj99 » Nov 1, 2010
    My dad lowered his cholesterol by eating oatmeal every morning for breakfast.

Flax seed is also a great way to get in extra fiber and omega fatty acids. And I echo those who said cut out/reduce intake of red meat and shellfish.

Best of luck!

12. Snowy
    Shiny_Rock

by Snowy » Feb 5, 2013
    I don't have any scientific evidence but I make my family eat what I eat since I have the best HDL levels my doctors have ever seen for the past 5 years. I'm probably repeating what others may be saying though.

Less: red meat, egg yolk, butter, fatty fried foods, baked goods

More: AVOCADOS, raw vegetables, omega 3 fish oil, raw nuts, fruits

It's really hard to go cold turkey so I make my husband substitute less of the "bad" items and replace them with the "good" items in his diet. Doing that at every single meal makes a difference and doesn't make you have crazy cravings.

13. ladidalola
    Shiny_Rock

by ladidalola » Mar 13, 2013
    My bad cholesterol (LDL and Triglycerides) and good cholesterol (LDL) are high. Don't know the exact numbers but they have been like that for several years. I have a pretty balanced diet and the only time my bad cholesterol normalized was when I was walking for a least 30 mins everyday. I didn't have a car back then and it was easy for me to take the bus and walk to work.

Now that I switched jobs and have a car, my bad cholesterol is up again :( what a difference walking makes! Just 30 minute walks everyday really works wonders... I want to switch jobs again just to get the walking back into my routine.

OoohShiny likes this.
  14. Luxxy
    Rough_Rock

by Luxxy » Nov 17, 2016
    The only advice I can give you is the same age old advice, but it has certainly done wonders for my dad: Choose healthier fats and avoid trans fats at all costs.

15. MarlonN
    Rough_Rock

by MarlonN » Nov 17, 2016
    Make sure that your diet is made up of mostly whole grains, fruits and vegs. That and drinking alcohol in moderation will help you a lot in keeping your cholesterol under control.

16. LJsapphire
    Brilliant_Rock

by LJsapphire » May 17, 2018
    I have oats with chia seeds rather than flax seeds. I've read that they are good for cholesterol. On last testing mine was ok but my mum has high cholesterol.
    She's on statins but I've been reading about them and I've read that they can cause more problems than they treat so I'd like her to try coming off them and make more dietary changes.

17. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » May 18, 2018
    I always have a large bowl of 'jumbo' porridge for breakfast (like at least a good cup to cup-and-a-half of oats, and the chunky stuff rather than that milled-to-dust stuff that kids like :lol:) - oats help lower cholesterol, plus they are a low-GI carbohydrate so keep you feeling fuller for longer, reducing the desire to snack mid-morning :)

18. Bron357
    Ideal_Rock

by Bron357 » May 18, 2018
    I have “inherited” high cholesterol so diet and exercise makes next to no difference.
    I take medication, statins, and to be honest I haven’t had a single side effect other than my cholesterol dropping back into normal range, reducing my risk of both heart attack and stroke.
    So definitely try and manage it with diet and exercise but don’t freak out or despair if you need to take statins, they are safe for just about everyone. There is a small % who can have an adverse effect but the doctors watch out for that.

LJsapphire likes this.
  19. in-the-air
    Rough_Rock

by in-the-air » May 19, 2018
    There are lots of natural solutions. Try draxe.com