shape
carat
color
clarity

Choice of stones - Newbie Help

Fruity-Tootie

Rough_Rock
Hi guys & girls,

Hoping you can help me out, I am new to the diamond game. I'm in the process of getting a ring for my lady, I have received two quotes from the same jeweller with different stones. I am in Australia & GST is included in the prices. Sorry I don't have GIA numbers.

Both Round Shaped.

Diamond 1 ($5,000 including 6 claw traditional solitaire setting)
Colour - D
Clarity - SI1
Cut - Excellent

Diamond 2 ($5,680 including 6 claw traditional solitaire setting)
Colour - D
Clarity - SI1
Cut - Triple Excellent

I just want to know if the prices seem fair. The jeweller has said the rings would have a re-sale value of $7,000- $7,500.

Thanks in advance

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't really assess those diamonds without grading reports, or proportion numbers.

Fruity-Tootie

Rough_Rock
The diamonds do have the grading reports I just don't have them handy.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides the reports, many probably question the reason for such high color. F should be fine, even G color as well.
If you stay within G-F range, you can probably get 0.9 carat diamond with setting around 5k US.

For example,
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-877912
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-987341
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-832884

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also question the statement by the jeweller that the resale value is higher than your purchase price- this is not true! Please make sure to search some of the online vendors to check pricing levels and make sure you compare like with like.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And "resale" will be on a used item, not new, so compare "used" prices.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fruity-Tootie|1458110331|4005994 said:
...The jeweller has said the rings would have a re-sale value of $7,000- $7,500.

Thanks in advance

Hey mate - I can't comment on the stones specifically, or the price, as I'm in the trade and it's against forum rules - - I would suggest however that you question the vendor on what basis they're making this claim... :think:
If it's based on their own 'valuation'...again I can't really comment...I'm sure other non-trade PS members could offer you their opinions on 'in house' valuations that are provided by the same person trying to sell you the item... ;-)
Hope this helps

Fruity-Tootie

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for the feedback.
Re: the resale value. The vendor means that if I was to walk into his shop and buy the identical ring it would cost me $7000 - $7500. He has cut his margin on the diamonds to try & price match a competitor who sources their diamonds direct from the mines.

I'm just trying to work out if the price is reasonable or would I be better off sourcing a diamond myself & getting him to do the ring setting.

Thanks,

Fruity-Tootie

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1458113843|4006000 said:
Besides the reports, many probably question the reason for such high color. F should be fine, even G color as well.
If you stay within G-F range, you can probably get 0.9 carat diamond with setting around 5k US.

For example,
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-877912
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-987341
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-832884

Those diamonds are listed for around $6,500 AUD without a setting. Unfortunately outside my budget.

Thanks for your help though :)

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fruity-Tootie|1458165853|4006349 said:
I'm just trying to work out if the price is reasonable or would I be better off sourcing a diamond myself & getting him to do the ring setting.

Thanks,

This should be easy enough to work out - just have a look online for comparable items within Aus - this comparison shopping will help you to determine if the price is reasonable or not - just make sure that when you're looking at diamonds, you're comparing 'apples-with-apples' as they say...not all D SI1s are created equal. Of course you can source the stone and setting separately, but in my opinion it's always an easier option if you can work out that you get the stone and the setting from the same vendor...it'll help you avoid some potential headaches (i.e. who takes responsibility for the diamond if it gets damaged during setting / etc).
Good luck

Fruity-Tootie

Rough_Rock
ADN|1458170447|4006379 said:

Thanks,

This should be easy enough to work out - just have a look online for comparable items within Aus - this comparison shopping will help you to determine if the price is reasonable or not - just make sure that when you're looking at diamonds, you're comparing 'apples-with-apples' as they say...not all D SI1s are created equal. Of course you can source the stone and setting separately, but in my opinion it's always an easier option if you can work out that you get the stone and the setting from the same vendor...it'll help you avoid some potential headaches (i.e. who takes responsibility for the diamond if it gets damaged during setting / etc).
Good luck

Thanks for the help. Have done some research & similar wholesale diamonds prices are around $3,750 - $4,000.
So therefore the way I see it is I'm paying around $1,500 for the Jeweller to make the setting & deal with sourcing the diamond, etc. Which seems fair to me. I know I could get it around $500 cheaper buying it online, but I think the setting will be of better quality from the jeweller I have found. Hopefully the others agree with this logic, lol. I didn't realise diamonds were such a complex area.

Thanks,

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fruity-Tootie|1458183119|4006559 said:
ADN|1458170447|4006379 said:

Thanks,

Good luck

Thanks for the help. Have done some research & similar wholesale diamonds prices are around $3,750 - $4,000.
So therefore the way I see it is I'm paying around $1,500 for the Jeweller to make the setting & deal with sourcing the diamond, etc. Which seems fair to me. I know I could get it around $500 cheaper buying it online, but I think the setting will be of better quality from the jeweller I have found. Hopefully the others agree with this logic, lol. I didn't realise diamonds were such a complex area.

Thanks,

ADN just suggested getting the stone and the setting from the same vendor. Most would agree with this. Ensure your diamond is fully insured for any damage and/or loss, if you decides to source your own diamond.

ADN is an aussie PS vendor here. Why dont you contact him and see what he can offer within your budget?

https://www.australiandiamondnetwork.com.au

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Fruity-Tootie said:
Thanks guys for the feedback.
Re: the resale value. The vendor means that if I was to walk into his shop and buy the identical ring it would cost me $7000 - $7500. He has cut his margin on the diamonds to try & price match a competitor who sources their diamonds direct from the mines.

Thanks,
I can almost guarantee everyone price matches and beats these days. And don't buy a diamond with resale value in mind - it most certainly ends in disappointment. But nobody really buys a diamond to resell. Most hang onto it forever. The only thing that you should keep in mind if the stone is worth it right now.

Also while comparing prices online from international vendors remember to factor in the GST + Customs Entry Charges + FedEx brokerage + 5% customs duty (if jewelry not supplied with certificate of origin).

Cheers

Fruity-Tootie

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for their help. I was comparing Australian wholesale prices.
Going to look at both stones tonight & providing the GIA reports meet certain criteria I am happy with the price being offered.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results