shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped precision cut sapphire- fix or no?

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Hello all:

It's been a while since I have posted, but I am always reading, learning and lurking!=)2
I have recently been using a loupe I bought to check out my stones. A few years ago, I got this lovely yellow precision radiant cut sapphire from a PSer who got it from Peter Torraca. I immediately got it set in a stock setting at a local jeweler with claw prongs. It's a little high up and it's a bigger type of ring than I am used to wearing, but it's lovely.

While playing with the loupe, I noticed what appear to be chips near the prongs 3 of the 4 corners, but one in particular is a little big near the table. I've had it for a few years now and don't know if I did it knocking it around (I try to be careful, but things happen) or if it happened when it was set?

I guess how doesn't matter is much as what to do next? Should this be fixed? Is that possible with a precision cut stone? It's also AGL certed- I imagine any fix would mean that would be invalid and I'd have to get a new cert? I think I only really care about that one chip near the table. Is it possible to fix? I was thinking of potentially resetting so I can enjoy the ring more. Thanks in advance!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can’t see it with the naked eye, I would heave it alone. However, If you intend on reselling the stone, then you may get it polished out. I would only get an AGL lab brief if you fix it and then resell. The more pricey lab report isn’t necessary if it’s already been deemed an untreated stone. If it is heated, you may have to get the pricier report to rule out diffusion.

It also depends on how much you think you can sell a yellow sapphire on the secondary market. It might not even be worth selling, fixing or getting a new lab report for.

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
If you can’t see it with the naked eye, I would heave it alone. However, If you intend on reselling the stone, then you may get it polished out. I would only get an AGL lab brief if you fix it and then resell. The more pricey lab report isn’t necessary if it’s already been deemed an untreated stone. If it is heated, you may have to get the pricier report to rule out diffusion.

It also depends on how much you think you can sell a yellow sapphire on the secondary market. It might not even be worth selling, fixing or getting a new lab report for.

Thanks for the input TL! The sapphire came with an AGL Prestige Report. It's 2.46 cts, 8.54 x 6.29 x 5.39 and on the report it's called a modified oval with a modified brilliant cut, but it's a cut corner rectangle that looked like a radiant cut to me. I think the cutter's site listed it as a brilliant barrel modified. The certificate states that it is unheated and has no enhancements.

I love the sapphire for now. I don't know if I will sell it in the future, but I never say never. I also don't know if that chip will bother me if I decide to reset- I wouldn't want it to become a crack. I included photos of the stone unset and set. If I do decide to have it polished before resetting, where could I go or send it to? Also, any suggestions for lower settings? Thanks again!

spaceout.gif
yellow sapphire.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg IMG_3521.JPG IMG_3522.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jerry Newman or Dan Stair are excellent lapidaries that perform repair work on gems. See the vendor sticky for their information, and setting vendors.

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Great. Thanks for the recommendation! Just did some research on the forum and they seem to have terrific results. I just might go ahead with this, I'll think about it and update if I do. Thanks again!

Reactions: T L

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say just wear and enjoy! It will only chip again. It's like that first door-ding when you can finally stop worrying about your pristine new car. Spouse has a hundred-year-old sapphire ring and every facet meet-point looks abraded at 10X but the stone as a whole looks gorgeous unmagnified. Use the loupe when you're buying -- but never again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results