shape
carat
color
clarity

Chip in Gemstone

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I bought htis sapphire from NSC. I really loved it it's a unique little bicolored heart. I had it shipped to a jeweler to put in a pendant. I looked at it under my magnifying glass when It came in and I noticed this. It looks like a pretty clear chip? It's not visible to the naked eye unless you know its there really and its right next to an edge where it had been cut (sorry dont know the proper term). IDK if any of you here who know a lot about gemstones can say is this something that likely got this way during cutting? I cant imagine this happened during setting. Will it weaken the stone?
I didnt mark up the pictures but I think you will find it. I want to ask the jewler about it but I also dont want to come off as accusatory, esp if it seems more likely it happens in cutting? I had it in my jewelry box and travel case and noticed it hte first night it came in (I've not worn it). I dont really have many diamonds my other stones are rubies and sapphires (all set in rings) so I cant imagine they would have caused this? None of my other stones are abraised in any way.

Attachments

• E42A9928.jpg
    E42A9928.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 50
  • E42A9929.jpg
    E42A9929.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 50
  • E42A9935.jpg
    E42A9935.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 52

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
for clarification

Attachments

• E42A9928-2.jpg
    E42A9928-2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 45

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
right on the table easy fix, with the meet points being a little lazy should be an easy repolish of the table could have been done during the setting could have been something else as someone who cuts I would have seen something like that and also the available room remaining with the meet points on the star facets at the table and just brought the table back to prepolish at 3000 and then polish the table to 100k.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
right on the table easy fix, with the meet points being a little lazy should be an easy repolish of the table could have been done during the setting could have been something else as someone who cuts I would have seen something like that and also the available room remaining with the meet points on the star facets at the table and just brought the table back to prepolish at 3000 and then polish the table to 100k.

Thank you Would it have to be removed from the setting to do this? How much would "fixing" it cost. Is there any risk? Well I assume always a risk but major risk to fixing it or better to leave as is? Looks like it was on the site that way. i went back and pulled videos and pics I had saved when I bought it. It looked like a small inclusion which I was fine with and kinda like, it has some elsewhere but having seen it and knowing what it is I can see now

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Did you see the sapphire in person before it was set?
I can't say with certainty from the photos, but it looks like a "natural", not a chip.
A chip would not usually be in the surface of a facet, it would break off an edge, does it? Hard for me to see...
A "natural" on the other hand, would look like a dent in a facet, which is what this appears to be from the picture.
It would be weird to leave a natural on the table though, where it would be so visible. If this were the case, the jeweler who set it should probably have let you know about it before setting, just to cover himself.
Either way, as Kevin said, it could be faceted down and repolished in the setting, depending on how deep the dent is and how high the setting sticks out.
It's so tiny, I would leave it alone unless it really bothers you. It's kind of like a scar, adds character. ;)2

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with PieAreSquared that this is a natural and not a chip. Sometimes these can go pretty deep, and would require lowering the table so much that the meets around the table would be way off. To solve this, the entire crown would need to be reworked. This would require the stone be removed from the setting. I think even lowering the crown to remove the nature would require the stone be removed, it looks like the setting may extend past the table, and trying to hand hold a stone as you cut and polish a table is difficult. I would leave it alone.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone and I almost wondered if it was natural b/c the stone is untreated, bicolor. It has some inclusions deeper in it, and I really do like it for it's colors and character. My main concern was if osmething happened during settting that could weaken the stone over time. I felt not, and also it's not splintered around this or anything to suggest it's "growing" but I did want to ask so it doesnt break and fall out one day.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at it under my magnification glass aggain and theres a definite chip below the other one. I was looking at the girdle. I almost wonder if the company tried to set this? It looks kinda bad no?

It's directly in a straight line from the one on the surface. You can see E42A9932.jpg it clearly in this past picture on the girdle. IDK hwo I missed it before. Will something like this weaken it?

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you all will think this is natural as well but it does appear rather large.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a link toNSC’s original listing pictures?
Or did you save copies of them?
That’s where I would look to see if they were existing prior to your sending to a jeweler.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a link toNSC’s original listing pictures?
Or did you save copies of them?
That’s where I would look to see if they were existing prior to your sending to a jeweler.
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 12.10.42 PM.png

Heres 2 pictures I saved. I emailed asking for any video or the link that's now down. I did start saving all this stuff on gems I've purchased. I think it was probably there. On the right mid way there's a yello spot, I think thats it and directly above it there's a thiny glare on the edge. I do wish the jewler had told me b/c I did ask them if the stones were ok.

That said I did buy this little stone for its unheated character so at this point I am a little upset TNS didnt disclose but more concerned that its not anythign that will weaken the gem in the setting and cause future breaking. I actually raelly do like this stone and colors. It's not perfect but I dont want it to break. I do also wonder hwat might have caused this? Or if you all still think both are natural, maybe the rough did have some cracks or imperfections they polished out as best htey can?

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 12.10.42 PM-1.png

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I goto them to email me some stuff, it is there but you'd have to be looking for it, it's not directly disclosed. So will it cause the gem to break of have structural issues?

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you Would it have to be removed from the setting to do this? How much would "fixing" it cost. Is there any risk? Well I assume always a risk but major risk to fixing it or better to leave as is? Looks like it was on the site that way. i went back and pulled videos and pics I had saved when I bought it. It looked like a small inclusion which I was fine with and kinda like, it has some elsewhere but having seen it and knowing what it is I can see now

There is always risk, this looks pretty straight forward, does it have to be taken out of the mount I would say not seeing it and with how hard sapphires are yes. I have re polished some stones in the mount I have re polishes some stones with a Popsicle stick and different diamond paste. As for cost that verses from person to person, I do a lot of polishing work and re cutting work for next to nothing just to get in the door with some jewelers and hopefully sell gems I have to them, along with repeat business, I would contact a local jeweler and see what his cost it usually its should not to bad at all

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
So will it cause the gem to break of have structural issues?

I see what you mean, and there seems to be an irregularity on the girdle in the NSC picture, but hard to know for sure from the photo.

I wouldn't worry about structural issues unless there are cracks, or fracture lines. I'm pretty sure setting the stone puts it under the greatest stress it can get, if nothing happened during or after setting it, you should be fine.

At then end of the day though, only you know if you can live with it.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I contacted the NSC and they said its a crystal and natural cavity in the stone and thats why they play them on the girdle. I think it will be ok. I bought this for it's character and I do still like it as long as it won't break on me. Thanks for the help

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results