shape
carat
color
clarity

Chinese culture/traditions/beliefs/superstitions w/respect to 4Cs/quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondpug

Rough_Rock

I also posted this on the rockytalky forum but then i thought, brides/grooms hanging out here might know too!

I wanted to know if there are any Chinese superstitions/traditions/beliefs/cultural related to the 4Cs or other diamond quality aspects. For example, I heard that having a culet is not good because evil spirits could get inside. On the other forum, people also talked about the number 4 in the grading or carat size.

This might help me make a better decision when trading off some of these Cs.
thanks!!
Pugsy

lili

Ideal_Rock
Here are some that I''ve heard.

- 8 (luck) and 2 (easy) are good.
- 4 and 6 are bad.
- they like vvs because inclusion is bad

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
High clarity and high color take precedence over size MOST times. Cut is something that few consumers know about, although it is gaining more ground, so it''s tricky to know what your potential fiancee thinks.

If you can, definitely something over a carat, VVS, and D-F would be perfect. And most Chinese emphasize quality, so I guess a good cut grade also matters.

Other than what the previous poster already said, there really isn''t much else that I know of.

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
any opinion on

D-VS2 vs. H-IF?

both cuts are excellent and both are over 1.5c

thanks!
Pugsy

Hopes

Rough_Rock
8 is lucky because it has a similar sound to the word "rich" or "to become richer" in Chinese. So a .888 carat is what you want. ;-)

4 is bad because it has a similar sound to the word "death." Avoid this...

It''s not a very common practice in China to have engagement rings until recently. Also it wasn''t common to have white wedding gowns until recently either. Both of these are Western influences. If anything, stick with what you know, because the Chinese don''t really attach romance with diamonds as much.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
off topic sorry...but what is the practical diff b/ween say a VS clarity and SI1 and 2? Is it worth paying more for higher clarity, or higher color?
as for the chinese tradition, I agree that diamond rings are more of a western tradition, so I wouldn''t get too bogged down in the superstitions, although it is fascinating.

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
I think typically VS is eye-clean (need some magnification to see any inclusions). S usually means you might be able to see some inclusions with the naked eye.

You really have to look at the certs to get an idea of the type and loc of the inclusions. The type sometimes matters when setting the ring, like feathers on near or touching the girdle are not good.

For me, I''m thinking about the receiver''s psyhcological value of having higher clarity, but lower color vs. higher color and lower clarity (more of a visual value).

Pugsy

Nurseynurse

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 1:43:42 PM
Author: Cinderella
High clarity and high color take precedence over size MOST times. Cut is something that few consumers know about, although it is gaining more ground, so it''s tricky to know what your potential fiancee thinks.

If you can, definitely something over a carat, VVS, and D-F would be perfect. And most Chinese emphasize quality, so I guess a good cut grade also matters.

Other than what the previous poster already said, there really isn''t much else that I know of.
Totally agree. My fiancee'' comes from a Chinese background and he emphasized color and clarity. I was willing to sacrifice clarity or color for a bigger size size, but he put his foot down
26.gif
. I gave in and said I want at least 1 carat. We ended up purchasing 0.90 carat E color VVS1 RB
36.gif
He wasn''t particular on the culet, but I read somewhere that high clarity symbolizes purity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results