shape
carat
color
clarity

Chinese culture/beliefs/traditions/superstitions w/respect to 4Cs/quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
I also posted this on the rockytalky forum but then i thought, brides/grooms hanging out here might know too!

I wanted to know if there are any Chinese superstitions/traditions/beliefs/cultural related to the 4Cs or other diamond quality aspects. For example, I heard that having a culet is not good because evil spirits could get inside. On the other forum, people also talked about the number 4 in the grading or carat size.

This might help me make a better decision when trading off some of these Cs.
thanks!!
Pugsy

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t heard squat. Generally, my relatives prefer the best if it can be afforded. They know nothing about cut. So, it''s more like the 3C''s, with Color replacing Cut as sort of the prime factor once you figure out what carat size. I don''t think Culet ever enters the discussion.

Pretty basic, really. Like it''s just 24K for gold. That''s it. Yes, platinum is cheaper. Some people may prefer white gold. Doesn''t matter. Tradition says 24K yellow gold and that''s that.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I had never heard any Chinese superstitions regarding diamond (or the 4C''s). I think it''s mainly because diamond engagement rings are Western traditions.

Older Chinese do prefer 24K yellow gold. That''s because they don''t consider anything else real gold.

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Qtiekiki mentioned that engagement rings/diamonds aren''t really even a tradition in Asian culture. Chinese culture is all about jade and gold, maybe some pearls and enameling too. If you read Dream of the Red Chamber (sometimes called The Story of the Stone), there''s tons of jade and gold imagery used to foreshadow which characters will end up marrying each other.

So my advice is don''t stress over it. Hmm, if you don''t want a large cutlet I guess Rose cut diamonds and Old Mine cuts are outta the picture then?

I do notice that there are waaay more ads for diamond engagement rings in China and Taiwan now. They were nonexistent twenty years ago. I know that Tiffany''s opened in Beijing not five or six years ago? Don''t remember. So give them a couple of years of slick marketing and people will be out buying diamond engagement rings. I think in Japan it took merely 10 years, ha.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
diamondpug, double posting does not help people who want to respond to you and just create confusion.
I will move the RT thread here.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results