shape
carat
color
clarity

Chicago Winter Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yojimbo

Rough_Rock
I would like to propose to my girlfriend next Satruday night or Sunday morning. It is her birthday, and I would like some romantic winter proposal ideas. I am thinking about taking her to the brookfield zoo holday lights and doing it there.

I have seen the sleigh rides and signature room suggestions, but I am looking for something a little more unique.

Any ideas would be helpful. We currently live in Lisle if that helps with any suggestions.

thank you in advance!

yojimbo

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Hi yojimbo!!! I just wanted to say I think the Brookfield Zoo holiday lights is the perfect place for a proposal! I live in the Chicago southwest subarbs as well and when I saw your post I was like "Yes! How cool would that be?" So, you definitely have at least one Lady In Waiting that thinks this idea is great
1.gif

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and how it goes!
36.gif

TD220

Rough_Rock
just curious, are you affiliated w/ the bike shop by chance?

I too am in Chicago and am planning my proposal this Saturday. debating on doing it at the zoo as well or just in the hotel at the end of the day. the zoo sounds amazing, but im worried she''ll hate knowing i dropped knee at a zoo. and while the rooom is private, its kind of boring...decisions,decisions...

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Hi again, no I am not affiliated with the Bike Shop, sorry.

After reading your last post, are you planning on staying at a hotel? You said you might do it in the hotel at the end of the day. I was just confused. However, and this is just me, I would love to be proposed to at the zoo
1.gif
I love animals and love christmas decorations, lights, etc. So, IMO the zoo is great and then afterwards you can go out to dinner to celebrate! And then if you are staying at a hotel, you can just enjoy yourselves
2.gif
9.gif
I thik it would be best to have a fun place to propose and then you don''t have to be thinking about it for the rest of the evening ya know?

But again, this is just my input! Hope it helps
21.gif

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Ooops I''m sorry
23.gif
I got yojimbo and TD220 mixed up

TD220

Rough_Rock
thats okay, i still appreciate your comments :)

what do you think about the Lincoln Park Zoo? we will be downtown for the weekend and I think thats closer to our hotel?

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Hey TD220, yeah the Lincoln Park zoo might be better for you since you are spending the weekend downtown, what fun! I''m jealous
2.gif
Depending on the weather, maybe walking down by the lake and proposing there? Or go to Navy Pier and go on the Ferris Wheel...? Just suggestions.

Lincoln Park zoo is fun, and its free!
9.gif
Maybe if you know her favorite animal you can get down on one knee there? So fun! I''m excited to hear your plans and how it all turns out.

yojimbo

Rough_Rock
I have thought about both zoos as a potential spot to propose. As I live in the burbs, I think Brookfield would be easier for me. It would be very nice to head to navy pier afterward for dinner and a cocktail.

And, no, I am not affiliated with any bike shops...

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I think there are lots of places in Lincoln Park that would make for excellent proposal spots. If the spirit doesn't move you in the zoo, you can go for a walk over a bridge, or if the weather is awful, you can head for the conservatory. Fun!

Also, I was walking past Millennium Park after work the other day, and with the lights and the skating, it's absolutely gorgeous. You could go skating, if that's your kind of thing, and then propose over hot chocolate. Or you could go to the bean and make her turn her back and close her eyes, and then spot you kneeling in the reflection. (Although that might work better in concept than execution, I don't know.)

The only thing I would strongly suggest, and this goes for both of you, is that you take tissues with you. My nose always runs when I'm cold, as for many people. Add emotional tears and really cold weather, and you have an uncomfortable mess.
2.gif

Good luck!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered somewhere indoors? I think it''s going to be cold in Chicago this weekend...

yojimbo

Rough_Rock
I am all for some "indoor" ideas! I just don''t want to do the "swanky restaurant, waiter puts ring in the food" bit.

I don''t have any thing set in stone, and indoor ideas are more than welcome. That being said, here is what I have so far...

Either Zoo for holiday lights festival...
I am putting together a photo album of pictures of us over the past 4 years, which I will give to her as a "birthday present" (her birthday is Sunday). The last picture will be me holding a sign that says, "Turn Around!" where I will be on one knee ready to give my prepared speech..

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I suggested Art Institute once....there was a thread on the same topic last winter.

Is the Shedd open yet? Inside, looking over Lake Michigan would be really pretty...maybe during the show so all the screaming kids are elsewhere, haha.

Ummmmmmm....I totally agree with you on the swanky restaurant thing. And I think Sears tower needs to be out for the same reason...seems trite.

Are there any types of art or music that she''s really into? That could help narrow it down.

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Yojimbo, I really, really love your idea with the photo album and the pictures of you 2 over the past few years. However, if you are wanting to propose to your GF with the last picture with you holding a sign saying "Turn around!" you need to be somewhere where you are able to carry the album w/o her knowing. How big is the album and do you usually carry like a backpack or something? So, if you are wanting to do it at Brookfield Zoo you may need to think how you will ahve her looka t the photo album...?

I hope I am totally not screwing this up
28.gif
I just want to help you out and hope it goes all as planned for you! I still like the zoo idea best, maybe when you guys are taking a break or drinking some hot chocolate you can say "Oh, I have something for you" and show her the album and then reminisce over the years you have spent together and then when she is approaching the last picture, you can get up, take out the ring and ... bam! Pop the ?

Man, you guys have it hard
1.gif
Its difficult thinking of how to propose and have it all go smoothly....
19.gif
crazy but amazing!

yojimbo

Rough_Rock

That seems to be my problem. I will have no problem with the actual "popping the question" part, It is just making sure that the plans go smooth is what worries me.

Thanks for all the input. I think I have a good plan, but keep the suggestions coming. It is not too late to make some adjustments!

Yojimbo

tabu

Shiny_Rock
I will cross my fingers for you that everything goes well!! You better come back here and tell us all how it goes
2.gif
I''m so excited for you!
36.gif

TD220

Rough_Rock
well i was planning on dropping knee on the bridge at the LP zoo, but i just called and that section of the zoo is closed for rehabiliation! grrr

back to the drawing board...

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Oh no TD220!!! However, at least you found out before you got there and about to propose! And I''m sure LP zoo has many beautiful places, I am not very familiar with it though so I cannot make any suggestions
33.gif
I know that you will realize when the moment is right though
2.gif

ValerieSun

Rough_Rock
the zoo idea sounds cute

TD220

Rough_Rock
well today i had a coffee mug made that says, "sarah, will you marry me?" she drinks coffee and i thought this was kind of fun, and she will have a "souvernier" to take with her. and every morning she drinks out of it will remind her of our special day. cool or cheesy?

now, how do i do the zoo and the mug w/o walking around with a suspicous looking package?

tabu

Shiny_Rock
The only thing I can think of is if you are going to have a big, puffy coat on for winter, maybe theres a big pocket inside that you can put the mug in where she wont notice? Or wear a backpack if thats not out of the ordinary and say you have "stuff" planned for the day.

I like the idea though
1.gif
Then everyday she can walk around with her coffee mug and remember you
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results