shape
carat
color
clarity

Chicago-Anyone up listening to the mess outside?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
It is 1:20am and it is so windy, the sleet and freezing rain is coming down hard. No snow yet, but I can''t sleep with this stuff beating on the windows!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My niece goes to Northwestern...and my sis is there visiting her. Be careful, it is supposed to get nasty. O''Hare cancelled over one hundred flights in, and I hope you can stay home tomorrow!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, Kberly- that sucks!

I live in L.A, and we don''t get crazy weather like you do, but it''s been VERY windy the last couple of days. One of the trees in our townhouse complex was uprooted by the wind the other night. I heard this wierd creaking noise in the middle of the night, and the next day, there it was- the top of it was bent over and in the pool!

I''m up in SFO tonite, and it''s not that bad up here- just a bit windy but COLD!!!

hope you''re able to sleep soon!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m up....we''re directly west of Chicago in Brookfield. It''s just yucky here--kind of a wintery mix of snow/ice/sleet. I don''t know how else to describe it except it''s wet but still looks like snow.

I have my Columbia snow boots by the door for the morning 6 block commute to work, DH is taking my SUV on his 50-mile commute out to Morris! I would take his company car, but it sits so low I feel like I can''t see anything! I''m so used to sitting high up and driving a trucklike vehicle now that I am uncomfortable in a "car!"
7.gif

I''ll be glad to get out and walk, unless it''s blizzard-like conditions out...
9.gif
Crossing my fingers tonight that the "snow" will turn light and fluffy and people will be up before me snowblowing their sidewalks!

Our dogs haven''t been able to get much rest this evening listening to the little ice pellets against the windows either...I woke up about an hour ago and couldn''t fall back asleep after letting them out (rather quickly--they were not happy about the weather!)

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
kberly,

i moved from chicago- wicker park to la this past spring. its my first winter in cali. its kinda windy here, but everyone on the news is talking about how cold it is. They are interviewing women in the grocery store parking lot, these women are wearing lowcut sweaters talking about how ''cold'' it is. As its been getting down to the low 60''s at night..... it makes me smile and laugh. just this morning my husband was saying how glad he is that he doesnt have to get up and shovel before work!

anyway, my thoughts are with you. I will be in chicago in a few weeks and i hope there is some snow left, but the wind and bitter cold can be gone, i dont miss it at all!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. I live in Chicago, work in a suburb as a teacher. Only ONE district is OPEN today, while the rest are closed. Guess whose is open? Oh, gosh, a late start...and what's fun is that the weather is supposed to get WORSE not better

I'm terrified...I take the train and have to walk a 1/2 mile on either side of the commute. It's an ice storm.

I'm angry on behalf of my students. A late start means MORE of them have to walk and/or wait outside for the bus. And my superintendent is too stubborn to change her mind.

Grr. Sorry, I know...most people actually have to go to work in this regardless...I'm just really cranky about it. And I'm cranky on behalf of anyone who is like me and is scared of this weather.

ETA: They just changed our status to "closed" -- hooray! Now I can take all my crankiness and use it to clean the house. (read: use the Jeweljet)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I am work, but it was no easy task getting here! I put on all my winter gear and let the wind blow me the seven blocks from my home to the office. The snow is already a brown slushy muck and if you stick your tongue out you can literally taste all the salt in the air. Yuck!

The Demon and his poppa were having a grand old time romping in the dog run when I left though. It almost made it worth it for me to watch him plowing through all the white stuff and digging his nose down into it. He just LOVES the snow!

As for the party tonight... I guess I don't have to worry any more about having enough food becuase I bet a ton of people will cancel. Oh well, more shrimp cocktail and stuffed mushrooms for me...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all be careful with the bad weather. Dee, I hope the party still goes well, take care everyone.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, it is pretty terrible out! Traffic actually wasn''t as bad as I thought though; I''m guessing b/c most people didn''t bother to go to work. Smart of them!! My son''s school wasn''t closed, which is actually good b/c I really did need to go to work today. I hope it stops, very, very, very soon and all roads have been shoveled by the time I get to go home.
YUCK!

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I am not in Chicago, I''m in St. Louis, and it''s nasty here too. Luckily I was off today. It rained Wednesday, turned to sleet yesterday, and then snowed on top of that last night. But it''s not windy and for that I am thankful!
Everyone be careful!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockfrod area here...
1/2 inch of ice with 8 inches of snow on top and its still coming down hard and blowing.
Not going anywhere today.
Snowed in untill latter today maybe this evening.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I am in Glenview (Chicago suburb). I spent a sleepless night listening to it and at 5 a.m, I noticed lightning! How strange is that? My husband is supposed to fly home from NYC today and I can''t wait to see if he makes it. I have been alone with the kids (3 and 1) since Wednesday and we haven''t been able to go anywhere. So far, my husband''s flight is not cancelled but I think it will be a miracle if he makes it home. They have cancelled flights all the way up to 1 p.m and his flight is supposed to be around 3. If he DOES make it, I will stand by my earlier assessment that he is the luckiest man alive because he repeatedly seems to luck out in these kinds of situations.
I have been calling all over to find someone to plow my driveway and can''t find anyone except a local neighborhood guy who refuses to do it unless I sign up for the whole season. Grrr...

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh... this is just nasty weather!! I live downtown Chicago and although it doesn''t look like much snow has collected on the ground, it just looks wicked outside! How is it in the suburbs? Is there a lot of snow?

Thank goodness my husband and I can work from home today. He commutes up to Vernon Hills which on a good day (and before rush hour) takes him about an hour. I''m soooooo glad they closed his office today.

Everyone please be careful out there!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I would guess we currently have about 6-8 inches.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our staff is pretty short today! No one from the far west burbs or the north burbs made it in...my husband didn''t go to his office farther west today either.

I would guess 6-8 inches here so far as well, with a nice base of slick ice underneath, of course. Honestly I worry more about breaking an ankle than being in a car accident. I broke my right ankle on black ice about 5 years ago and have been terrified of ice and snow ever since. Yeesh.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 11:00:36 AM
Author: strmrdr
Rockfrod area here...
1/2 inch of ice with 8 inches of snow on top and its still coming down hard and blowing.
...and my luck...I''m in Nova Scotia in a balmy 45 with rain, when I should have been in Rockford. snowed in with ma honey
31.gif
giggle...I would have loooooooved not going anywhere today
30.gif
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stay safe everyone!!!
35.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
We''re having sleet and ice in Montréal too. Ugh.
14.gif
I wish I didn''t have to take the road today, but I''m going to spend the week-end at my parents'' because I have a concert at the church tomorrow!

Drive safe, everyone.

darling

Shiny_Rock
I just saw the pictures of the snow storm on the internet. Everyone stay safe and warm.

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Allison, I hope your hubby makes it home safely and doesn''t get cancelled. My DH made it home just in time last night from DC. Looks like we only got about 4 inches here in Tinley Park, if that much.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I hope you are all staying safe and warm! I''m not going to complain anymore about our little cold spell down here in the southwest after reading your posts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We lived outside Chicago the first few years we were married, and I have to say I miss nothing about the weather! Our temp was over 70 degrees today in NC, but it is really windy.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 12:48:56 PM
Author: wifey2b

Date: 12/1/2006 11:00:36 AM
Author: strmrdr
Rockfrod area here...
...and my luck...I''m in Nova Scotia in a balmy 45 with rain, when I should have been in Rockford. snowed in with ma honey
31.gif
giggle...I would have loooooooved not going anywhere today
30.gif
2.gif
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :}

looks like we got about 10" of snow total but its drifted up in areas over 4-5 feet.
They havent plowed the roads yet and peaple are stuck all over.
It is kinda nice though to see 4 or 5 neighbors helping each other get unstuck.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was over 70 degrees in Maryland and Virginia today, bizarre by any standards for December 1! A friend''s son lives in Minneapolis. Did that come in for any of the midwest storms?

Deb
34.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2006 5:39:00 PM
Author: AGBF

It was over 70 degrees in Maryland and Virginia today, bizarre by any standards for December 1! A friend''s son lives in Minneapolis. Did that come in for any of the midwest storms?

Deb
34.gif
LOL, do you have to rub our noses in it, AGBF?!
2.gif
9.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a couple of hundred miles north and we got about 6" in the storm - most of it fell in a couple of hours. I actually drove to work Friday in the worst of it... slowly.

My "snow" problem is that my garage is off of an alley in back and not only don''t they plow the ally quickly - but they plow in the ends of the alley when they plow the roads on each end. Thus, even in a modest snowstorm I can''t get into the alley - even if I could drive down the snow in the alley.

Saturday I drove to he west side of Chicago in the afternoon and back late last night - got home at 2AM (Hi everyone) and the main road were clear.

Hope they stay clear for next weekend.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results