shape
carat
color
clarity

Changing your name process?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
If you are changing your last name, how do you plan to do it? If you have, how did you do it and what was your experience like? I ran across this website today at work- https://www.missnowmrs.com/
Has anyone tried this site? It was on one of the wedding channels so it makes me feel like it is legit especially since you can just order the forms and fill it out by hand and they give you the envelopes on where to mail it, or you can do it online. This is the part of wedding planning I am looking forward to the least (aside from deciding on those bridesmaid gifts lol) Share your thoughts and/or experiences! :)

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I used that service but it''s basically more of a guideline imo. You still have to go to the DMV and to the Social Security office and into the bank and get new passport photos taken. I liked using the official passport form instead too.

I liked it as more of a ''checklist'' on what I needed to get done. I found that to be pretty useful.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Like violet said, the website is more a guideline, reminding you of what you need to change and what forms you need to fill out, but you still have to go to most of the places in person anyway and provide your marriage certificate. I actually got a free membership to the site from David''s Bridal when I got my dress, but never ended up using it.

I did my social security card first, followed by my license. Once I had my license, I did my car registration and insurance. It was remarkably easy to change my name on my credit cards. Honestly I just called and told them I was married, and they sent new cards within a week, never even had to show my marriage certificate. The only one I had to go in for in person was changing name on my debit card/bank account. There are silly things that I haven''t changed yet, and it''s been a year later, like my SCUBA certifications or zoo memberships, but for the most part I''m all changed. I haven''t done my passport because I haven''t needed it yet, but I can do that one by mail...we ordered 3 copies of our marriage certificate so I don''t mind sending one of those in for my passport.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t use a service.

First, you have to go IN PERSON to the SS Office. Then you have to go in person to the Driver''s License Office. Then you need to go in person to your bank.

Most of the credit cards and cell phone bills can be done over the phone or by mailing in a little note with your monthly payment.

I was hoping to mail in most of my info, but as I was talking to the people at the bank, they said that this was really risky due to identity theft. If someone has a copy of your marriage license, there may be your full name, date of birth, place of birth, parents'' full names (including mather''s maiden name
23.gif
), and even social security numbers. So I''d be really careful about who really needs a copy of that and how you give it to them. If you can avoid letting people have a copy to sit in a file god-knows-where and just let them verify it by looking at it, or let them make a copy of your new driver''s license or passport, or black out sensitive info, I''d definitely go with that route.

Sorry for the threadjack, but this really wasn''t something I had thought about before I went through the process and I thought it might be helpful.
1.gif

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I used this website. I went through and did the legal stuff (social security, dmv, passport) and then used their forms to alert my bank and others. I thought it was a really helpful FREE guide!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t go through a service, since I don''t think they add much (you still have to go to a bunch of offices in person). I just googled "changing your last name" and used a WikiHow entry as a checklist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results