Changing out diamond for tourmaline - setting help please

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this ring last month:
4AE1094E-0D07-4918-A49A-7EAC1BDEE5E1.png

And this tourmaline shortly before:
34996434-A752-49EC-950B-1B690C58413D.jpeg

I want to replace the diamond with this tourmaline (both are the same size), and am curious: aside from replicating the same setting style (bezel with corner connectors), what options or styles others may have, may have seen, or might suggest or caution against. I seem to think I’ve read that tourmalines shouldn’t be bezeled but don’t recall why.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, examples or guidance! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline can be bezeled; just make sure the bench is highly skilled with coloured stones or she/he might use too much force to hammer the lip down.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s going to be really pretty! I like the airspace in the center, personally. I found that when I had a ring converted from diamond to sapphire the prongs had to be made longer, but I’m not sure if this is true for tourmaline too.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline can be bezeled; just make sure the bench is highly skilled with coloured stones or she/he might use too much force to hammer the lip down.
Thank you for that! If I go this route, I plan to send it out to DK along with my spinel & pear diamonds so they can all be done at the same time. I haven't reached out to him re: this project yet though, as I wanted to get a feel for how 'doable' it will be with the tourmaline. I also have an asscher sapphire that I might opt to set in it as well, if the feedback re: the tourmaline wasn't positive for resetting in the ring.

Would bezeling the girdle only of the tourmaline overly darken it up much do you think? I absolutely LOVE the color of it as-is, so I don't want to do anything that will significantly alter the appearance of the color.

That’s going to be really pretty! I like the airspace in the center, personally. I found that when I had a ring converted from diamond to sapphire the prongs had to be made longer, but I’m not sure if this is true for tourmaline too.

Thank you! I figure the entire inside of that square will likely need to be cut out and redone to reset the stone anyway, so hopefully DK will have a good solution for this.

I also think I'd like - if possible - to replace the tiny two RC diamonds on each side (they're about 1.2 mm each) with like-colored stones just for balance, but it may be overkill on the color. I'm not sure.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought this ring last month:
4AE1094E-0D07-4918-A49A-7EAC1BDEE5E1.png

And this tourmaline shortly before:
34996434-A752-49EC-950B-1B690C58413D.jpeg

I want to replace the diamond with this tourmaline (both are the same size), and am curious: aside from replicating the same setting style (bezel with corner connectors), what options or styles others may have, may have seen, or might suggest or caution against. I seem to think I’ve read that tourmalines shouldn’t be bezeled but don’t recall why.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, examples or guidance! :wavey:

Can’t wait to see it!! :)

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh! Lucky you! It's going to be stunning!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that color! if it's a shallow/low setting, you may have to be prepared for the tourm to sit higher than the diamond cuurently is. All my CS are deeper than my diamonds of equal diameter, either because they have thicker girdles or are just cut deeper overall, hence the need for lengthened prongs. Would you put similarly colored sidestone melee or contrasting colors for pop, like a rich purple or a peachy sunset, or a sunny yellow color? Then again, you can't go wrong with white diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results