shape
carat
color
clarity

Chameleon Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beth

Shiny_Rock
I found a Chameleon Diamond from a reputable source. It is .30 GIA certed. The cost is $1,260.00 . Is this a good price? How often do these smaller ones pop up?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't say these are not common: I keep seeng "chameleon" diamonds rather often. However, the buyers for these are few and far between (these "color change" stones are considered a collectors' item more than jewelry-making staple) so one is not likely to see a lot of them at any given time. I only know about one large such diamond (a 10 cts or so) having been offered for sale, but small ones are frequent.

The price... there is no "standard" price for these. Clarity surely is a factor: usually VS-VVS clarities end-up being "collected" and VS2 or lower are less choice. I would consider the price reasonable for a perfectly clear stone (VVS) of this size and color property (it should change hue when exposed to heat or low temperature change, otherwise is not a "chameleon"). If the stone is includes (SI) I would pass the offer entirely (not "collection quality").

Cut: really does not matter much for these pieces, but a nice cut would also command a slightly (slight is the word) higher price, which is the case here.

I did pay this number for a 0.15ct fancy vivid pink just for the fun of the encounter... so you can be sure there is at least one other person who likes to purchase these tiny bits of funny diamonds.

Hope this helps a bit!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Beth!! Don't know nuttin' about chameleon diamonds but wanted to say hi! Great to see you here.
1.gif

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Valeria. I am a rockhound too. Most of my rocks are for playing with not jewelry. The fun of having this one would be to torch it and watch it change. I am passing because I just made a watch purchase. I have just been on a colored diamonds tangent for a couple of days now. Where do you source yours from? I would be interested in collecting a few smaller ones in a range of colors over time for the fun of them, not for jewelry, just the collection.

KMOM - Hello! Garry talked me into it. I am just getting started off here. Expanding the horizon's so to speak.
read.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry... so you like those brown (champagne or other drinks) things too? That would make two of us.

Take a look at fancydiamonds.net, africagems and diamondsbylauren.com (look up the guy on e-bay too if the link on the site does not work). Icestore shows a collection of serious colored stones, Cherrypicked (if their site gets done), Adin, Diamondrough... and surely there are more places online which I may have passed by but not taken a second look at for a while.

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Hi I managed to get a hold of a VS1
21.gif
0.35 olive green chameleon, in a variation cut of standard marquise.
Most of the colour change occurs within 60 seconds from Browny Orangy Yellow and then a more Greeny (Olive) colour takes over in around 5-10mins

0.35ct713.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results