clarity

Chain Choices!

Which Chain?

• Three strand station

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Which chain do you like better (and feel free to suggest alternatives and places to buy them)?

I went to the mall today and liked 1.5 mm 20 inch chains. So I was going to get a wheat chain, but then I saw a picture of a popcorn chain, and remebered how much I love these, AND THEN I saw a picture of the three stand station chain and now I''m not sure what I like with it.

Pendant (on a delicate 18 inch chain):

original.aspx

Three chains up for consideration:

1. White Gold Wheat Chain 1.5 mm 20 inch : http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/heavenlytreasuresjewelry_2049_50399234

2. White Gold Popcorn Chain 1.5 mm 20 inch : http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/heavenlytreasuresjewelry_2050_432618664

3. White Gold three strand station chain 20 inch (I haven''t found a place that carries the right length): http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/heavenlytreasuresjewelry_2050_365380822

I''m leaning toward the popcorn chain, I think.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I went with the popcorn chain, only because you said you couldn''t find the three strand in the right length. I would prefer that one as a single strand!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2009 1:05:30 AM
Author:Gypsy

I think the flowing lines of a wheat chain would complement your pendant beautifully, and the wheat chain would probably be the strongest, most secure of these three options. My main concern with a popcorn chain is that they''re so reflective -- kind of like wearing a string of micro-mirror balls around your neck -- and all that flash might detract from the pendant. I''ve never seen your third option in person. I''d be concerned that it wouldn''t have enough heft (I''m totally guessing here that each individual chain is very fine) but maybe the three chains together would be substantial enough for your BEAUTIFUL pendant!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was one click away from buying the popcorn chain. LOL. But I think I'm going to wait. It's hard to not impulse by. Monkey, I'm torn about the triple strand. On the one hand I'm afraid it will compete, on the other it might complete the look and look like it was made to go together.

VR, I was wondering about the reflective issue. I originally wanted a ball and bead chain which is also really reflective. But I liked the thicker chains with it and ball and bead chains don't come that thick really.

I am open to suggestions. I think I need to go to a few more stores this week, before making a choice. Maybe?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t purchased from them, but there an online store called gold-chains-overnight that has a large selection.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I kind of like the three strand chain because it looks substantial and balances the weight of the pendant. One strand seems like it''s straining to hold up that huge medallion!! Of course you probably are going to need more than one for different looks!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for a plain 2 or 3-strand necklace. I have several substantial, medallion-type pendants, and they have 2 strand necklaces. I think the bead stations would detract from your beautiful pendant. I also have a 3-strand beaded necklace which I love too. Here''s a photo of them all; the 3-strand beaded is the yellow gold, the others are both 2-strand cable chains. Hope it helps.

necklacechoices.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cellentani... OMG. HELLO GORGEOUS PENDANTS
6.gif
!

Okay, so you sold me. I love the two strand plain necklaces! Did you buy them locally, or is there a place/vendor online that I can look at? I'm in love with your necklaces and the look of the multistrand chains. Gorgeous.

ETA: Googled 2 strand necklace. Didn't find any. Help?
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
multi strand for sure!!! Can''t wait until June!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2009 7:34:27 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
multi strand for sure!!!
Ditto - I am loving this look!!

Cellentani, the gold three-stand you have is a beautiful look. Are they box links?? I can''t tell. Anyway, just gorgeous.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get whatever is less likely to kink up.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2009 7:34:27 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
multi strand for sure!!! Can''t wait until June!

Can I change my vote? This is a wonderful look!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, the double chains came with the pendants, but they''re just simple cable chains. You shouldn''t have any trouble finding them (and internet will have the best prices - my local jeweler charges an unbelievable amount too, so I know what you mean). My gut feeling is that instead of buying a "double chain", it will be cheaper to find 2 chains that are the right length (or one long one that you can double), and take them to you jeweler to have them put together. It''s a simple process of attaching the end link of the chains to a common ring. If you decide on a bead chain, it will have to be sautered, but that is also a minor job. Give me a minute, and I''ll take closeups of the chains.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks musey! The gold chain is a bead chain - hang on, and I''ll take some closeup pics so you can see better.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here you go. The cable chains are about 1mm each, and you can kinda see how they attach to a single ring. The gold chain has faceted beads - you can get smooth beads, but you get more sparkle with the facets. Those gold chains are ever so slightly slimmer than the cable chains, and I would guess they're .9mm each, but you can see how they're soldered to the clasp. Now let me see if I can find some good internet sites for chains.

ETA: Of course, having a multi-strand chain will increase the cost significantly. On some of my pendants, I've cheated and used silver chains until I can afford the real thing. Actually, I have a silver one that I still wear with a WG pendant - the color is a perfect match, and it would cost me a lot to replicate in gold. Just a thought... By the way, gypsy, how big is the bale on your pendant?

multichains.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t bought from them, but www.sarraf.com looks like a decent site. I remember almost buying something from them years ago, so at least they''ve been around awhile. Here''s a link to their white gold chains: http://www.sarraf.com/jewelscart2000/store/jewelscart2000_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=2343

I''ll post if I find anything else. And, do you have a TJ Maxx nearby? I bought the yellow gold chain there. It was originally a tiered necklace (each strand was a different length), but I had my jeweler make them all one length.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cellentani, I do have a TJ max nearby... and that is a great suggestion! And I think you are right about buying different chains and just having them joined.

I love that you had the jewler fuse them for you, how smart is that!

Local jewelers prices for things just generally make me roll my eyes. I don't know what they are thinking, or why they are surprised that the internet is making headway in their marketshare.

We also have a wholesale jewelry building in SF and there is an entire store that deals with chains only, and I've gotten some nice chains there before.

The bale on my pendant was made to accomodate a DBY chain with bezeled 5-7 pointers (because I'm hoping there is one in my future... although I tried on a 3 ctw tennis bracelet the other day
30.gif
and that definitely bumped the DBY chain way down on the list of things I want) so it can pretty much take anything without any issues at all. Plus I can loop chains through the pin on the back.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking those pics. I KNEW posting on here for suggestions would garner the best suggestions. I love love love your pendants. Can you tell me more about them? (Or if they are posted, can you link me). They are really just flat out gorgeous! I'd love to see neckshots.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cellentani - thanks for posting the closeup! I LOVE that faceted bead chain. LOVE! Just gorgeous!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite chain is the wheat link or spiga. I own a dozen of them in white, yellow and platinum and I LOVE them. They''re timeless.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking those pics. I KNEW posting on here for suggestions would garner the best suggestions. I love love love your pendants. Can you tell me more about them? (Or if they are posted, can you link me). They are really just flat out gorgeous! I''d love to see neckshots.
Oh gypsy, I was so happy to take those pics for you. I''ve always loved the double chain look ever since I saw them on Kwiat pieces, but I must confess my pendants aren''t in the same league as your gorgeous piece - they''re just sterling silver. I started collecting them years ago, and the intricacy and craftsmanship is quite remarkable. I really wasn''t trying to promote my stuff, I just wanted to give you an idea of that kind of look with a large-sized pendant. So yeah, I''m insanely jealous of your fabulous pendant.

I''m happy to see all your pics are back up. I looked up your thread last night, and all the pics were gone - probably had something to do with the shutdown last night. I can''t wait to see what you end up with, and I imagine you may want more than one chain so you can change the look.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2009 1:05:30 AM
Author:Gypsy

Which chain do you like better (and feel free to suggest alternatives and places to buy them)?

I went to the mall today and liked 1.5 mm 20 inch chains. So I was going to get a wheat chain, but then I saw a picture of a popcorn chain, and remebered how much I love these, AND THEN I saw a picture of the three stand station chain and now I''m not sure what I like with it.

Pendant (on a delicate 18 inch chain):

original.aspx

Three chains up for consideration:

1. White Gold Wheat Chain 1.5 mm 20 inch : http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/heavenlytreasuresjewelry_2049_50399234

2. White Gold Popcorn Chain 1.5 mm 20 inch : http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/heavenlytreasuresjewelry_2050_432618664

3. White Gold three strand station chain 20 inch (I haven''t found a place that carries the right length): http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/heavenlytreasuresjewelry_2050_365380822

As someone who is chain obsessed here is my thoughts...
Wheat chains are my favorite style chain(I own a 2mm and a 3.5 mm y/g wheat chain which I wear ofter)they are sleek,very durable,can be worn with /without pendant. drawback...the light weight styles can be kinked if slept in or worn with very heavy pendant.The popcorn chain is hollow so its low durability and will kink if mis handled or store in correctly and a pendant wont slide as well...also its a bit trendy. the three strand is trendy,easy to tangle or break,buy can be worn alone or with other pendants.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m investigating chains this week. :)

We have a Leslie Green Dealer here and I''m going to pop in to see them to see what I have three types of chains I want to try on with it. Rollo 2mm, double strand chain link, and some bead chains.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2009 9:31:43 AM
Author: cellentani

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking those pics. I KNEW posting on here for suggestions would garner the best suggestions. I love love love your pendants. Can you tell me more about them? (Or if they are posted, can you link me). They are really just flat out gorgeous! I''d love to see neckshots.
Oh gypsy, I was so happy to take those pics for you. I''ve always loved the double chain look ever since I saw them on Kwiat pieces, but I must confess my pendants aren''t in the same league as your gorgeous piece - they''re just sterling silver. I started collecting them years ago, and the intricacy and craftsmanship is quite remarkable. I really wasn''t trying to promote my stuff, I just wanted to give you an idea of that kind of look with a large-sized pendant. So yeah, I''m insanely jealous of your fabulous pendant.

I''m happy to see all your pics are back up. I looked up your thread last night, and all the pics were gone - probably had something to do with the shutdown last night. I can''t wait to see what you end up with, and I imagine you may want more than one chain so you can change the look.
Pffft! A gorgeous piece is a gorgeous piece no matter what what it''s made of. And those are stunning! No "just" about it. I didn''t think you were promoting your stuff at all (and who cares if you were! I don''t) I love that you posted the pics in here to help-- it gave me a couple of jaw dropping pics to ogle and food for thought as well.

My pics were loaded to the Photo Gallery, not directly to the thread, and the gallery was down longer than the forums were.

I do want more than one chain. But one at a time!

If you do have the time, I would sincerely LOVE to see neck pics of your gorgeous pendants. They are truly stunning. The middle one (the one like a flower with the invisble bale) has me googly eyed.
35.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your very kind words, gypsy! Since you asked, here are a few (maybe more than you bargained for) neckshots. This is the flower pendant you liked:

NS for gypsy 1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the other large pendant - my DS calls it "the sand dollar". I particularly like the backplate

NS collage.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another more delicate pendant on a single cable chain.

NS for gypsy 4.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a chunkier link - it''s the one that''s silver that I wear with my WG citrine/diamond pendant. The chain looks oxidized in the pic, but it''s just the texture on the links. Not that I would recommend this type of chain for your pendant.

NS for gypsy 5.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, last one. Since you mentioned rolos, I thought I''d add this one. The bale on the citrine pendant is large enough that I can loop the rolo through twice. You''re so lucky to have all the jewelry resources nearby! Have a geat time shopping and looking, and definitely let us know what you find. By the way, I was thinking about the bead station chain you first mentioned. It actually might work if it was a larger-gauge, single chain - I think the round beads might play off the round bezels on the pendant (much like the DBTY chain you mentioned).

rolo collage.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay those are just flat out fabulous!

I love love love then all. The ''sand dollar'' necklace looks amazing on and what a beautiful backplate it has! The flower one is a knock out! And the more delicate one is so lovely. And you can really see how important a chain is to the design. I think I like the rollo, I wonder what that would look like with my pendant. *Plans a browsing excusion for tomorrow at lunch." Your citrine pendant is lovely and it glows.

I''m really getting into pendants, I have to admit. First a tennis bracelet though. THEN another pendant. My favorite chains are the simple two strand doubles though. I am pretty sure I can find something like that to try on tomorrow. And if I can''t... you''ve given me another idea... I can just loop the original chain through twice to see if I like the look of it.

Brilliant. Don''t know what I would have done without you! THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time and humoring me. I''ve saved pics of your flower pendant
31.gif
It''s now definitely one of my all time favorite pendant designs. But they are all stunning. You have a gorgeous collection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results