shape
carat
color
clarity

Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wannaknow

Rough_Rock
It seems that there are GIA, EGL and AGS certifications for diamonds. Are they all equivalent? Can I confidently buy a diamond that has been certified by EGL as being of the same standard of evaluation as GIA. I was told that this may not be necessarily true. Understandably, I can have the gemstone independantly appraised. Why would a seller have diamonds certified principly by one laboratory? Do they get better costs per piece evaluation or does one lab bias ratings a little higher than another for a given quality of stone. Are these evaluations standardized in some way or is there a larger component of subjective evaluation - making all of this some what dubious?

My concern is I may be buying a diamond of lower quality but rated higher by the EGL certification.

:errrr:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First, find the shape and size of diamond that suits your budget. Use the Pricescope search ability to determine the cost range to you.

Second, do whatever shopping for the stone you wish to do. Don't worry so much about the name of the lab, but stick to what you like.

Third, make some judgement about the accuracy of the grading and that the stone matches the report. If it is other than GIA or AGS, be a bit more cautious. Even though my lab, AGA is a smaller player, we make every effort to do the right grading. Other name labs do the same. Some are better than others. Just be sure you like the stone and feel the price is right for what it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results