shape
carat
color
clarity

ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
I have a question for you ladies. Will a Methodist Pastor marry a couple in which neither one is Methodist?

A little background: I just recently got engaged and I am trying to figure out the ceremony details. I was raised Catholic and FI was raised going to church (not the catholic church), and celebrating the Jewish high holy days (more for the traditions, than the religion). We would like our children to be raised similar to the way he was to keep the traditions alive. If my family had their way, our kids would be Catholic, but I am waivering a little. I have always loved the Methodist Church (my dad was methodist and we spent most of the holidays in the Methodist Church) and I think I would like to maybe raise our kids in the Methodist Church.

I don''t go to church much, but when I do I attend the Methodist Church. FI has a friend whos father is the pastor at the church I sometimes attend. I love the idea of him marrying us, because he knows FI well, but I am not sure I am ready to convert. The ceremony would not be in the Church, but I want the religious aspect. Before we set up a meeting with him I wanted to get a little more info on the "rules" so to speak.

I appreciate any thoughts
1.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i could be totally wrong here, but i''m not sure there are rules per say regarding this in the methodist church like there are in other churches. my friend was recently married in a christian church by her uncle, who was a methodist pastor. neither the bride nor groom were methodist. she was actually raised catholic as well, and decided it was not something she wanted to continue with. so they were married in a different church all together!

the fact that your FI celebrates the jewish high holy days shouldn''t make a difference either- especially if he isn''t necessarily jewish.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''m methodist, married by a methodist pastor, and he wouldn''t marry us unless we had completed certain classes (like premarital counselling and stuff). He never asked if my hubs was a methodist... (he isn''t) but that may have been because I was a member of the church. I know there are still rules and hoops - but just not sure for a non member..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results