shape
carat
color
clarity

Ceremony Start Time for Invitation--with cushion or without?

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
In keeping with a tradition for good luck, it is important for us to get married on the half hour when the minute hand starts to go up. When FI told me about this superstition, I thought it was pretty cool. Now, comes the tricky part--what time do I put on the invitation? Do we include a cushion of time and put down say 4pm or stick with 4:30 pm? :confused:

My gut is telling me 4 pm out of caution -- what if traffic is bad or something happens? Also, we are going to have a string duo or trio which should help pass a 10 minute or so wait.

What do you all think? Include a cushion or no cushion?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Re: Ceremony Start Time for Invitation--with cushion or with

I would put 10 minutes or so prior to when you actually plan to commence. A full half hour and people will be restless and wondering what's going on. We are planning to start at 5:40 and I put 5:30 on the invite.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock

Would it look strange if I put quarter past four on the invite?

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock

Definitely put a cushion. I think 15 minutes is good. 4:15 is a good rounded off time and won't look strange. And if you have a string ensemble playing you can just let them know that they need to begin at 4:15 (or 4:13 or something so they'll be playing as guests come in). People are always late so I'm sure that people will still be showing up at 4:25. If you put 4:30 some people probably wouldn't get there until 4:40.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

when you said get married at 4:30...does that mean they pronounce you man and wife at 4:30, or you start the official ceremony at 4:30, or you walk down the aisle at 4:30, or...

I would definitely put a cushion on the time...you can always start 10-15 mins after the time listed

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock

wow, things you don't think of...we did not put a cushion on our timing, assuming people would know that if it starts at 6:30 they should be there by 6:15ish. Hmmm...since you can still make that cushion happen-yes! go for it.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock

Good question slg47-- the most important part is that the minute hand is going up, so the vow exchange should definitely occur on the upswing. Walking down the aisle can happen beforehand.

I think with having an ensemble and all, we can entertain guests for a little bit. I hope.

Here are my two nightmare scenarios:
1. There is a delay due to traffic, weather, power goes out, flowergirl nerves or something and we have to rush through the ceremony.
2. The cushion is too much and we are stalling, needing to draw out the ceremony until the upswing. (I actually made myself laugh imagining slow walking).

Hopefully, #2 doesn't happen because there will be a bilingual component and that will take additional time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results