color
clarity

Cellphone link to brain cancer per WHO

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31/who.cell.phones/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Partial Snip:

(CNN) -- Radiation from cell phones can possibly cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization.
The agency now lists mobile phone use in the same "carcinogenic hazard" category as lead, engine exhaust and chloroform.
Before its announcement Tuesday, WHO had assured consumers that no adverse health effects had been established.

A team of 31 scientists from 14 countries, including the United States, made the decision after reviewing peer-reviewed studies on cell phone safety. The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

. . .

"Children's skulls and scalps are thinner.
So the radiation can penetrate deeper into the brain of children and young adults.
Their cells are at a dividing faster rate, so the impact of radiation can be much larger." said Black of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1306873653|2934683 said:
The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

Key point. Until we see an actual case of brain cancer resulting from cell phone usage...well, I have a hard time believing this. Otherwise, wouldn't we have seen some rampant brain cancer explosion by now? It's been over 10 years since cell phones came into existence, and I can almost bet that the only "brick" phones were way more harmful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MonkeyPie|1306874275|2934691 said:
The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

Key point. Until we see an actual case of brain cancer resulting from cell phone usage...well, I have a hard time believing this. Otherwise, wouldn't we have seen some rampant brain cancer explosion by now? It's been over 10 years since cell phones came into existence, and I can almost bet that the only "brick" phones were way more harmful.

Maybe as with cigarettes and sun exposure the seeds of this cancer can take decades to sprout.
We'll find out . . . in decades.

Meanwhile I'd let some else's kids be the guinea pigs, not mine.
Mine would NOT get cellphones.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1306874788|2934702 said:
MonkeyPie|1306874275|2934691 said:

Maybe as with cigarettes and sun exposure the cancer can take decades to sprout.
We'll find out . . . in decades.

Meanwhile if I had kids they would not be guinea pigs.
They would NOT get cellphones.

Perhaps. I wonder if those of us that are texters and not callers will get hand cancer? :tongue:

My kids will probably have cellphones when they are around 10-12. Why? Because then I can keep track of them AND call to make sure all is well any time I want, and they can call me if they need mom. I like knowing I am just a call or text away if they need me. I don't think this makes them guinea pigs, it makes ME a mom that wants to be there for my kiddos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results