carat
color
clarity

Cell phone use, Canada

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hello!

I'll be going to Vancouver and Whistler soon from the US and wanted to know if I have ATT mobile service if i have to get an international plan, etc, for calls and texts home?

Off to google, but thought I'd ask here too, thanks!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ATT has a 10 dollar a day plan if thats how you want to go.

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/day-pass.html

Basically for 10 dollars a day, you can use your plan including data / texting. He's the big traveler and it was cheaper going this route than not as he didn't use it every single day.

Also you might want to look at other options like whatsapp, google hangouts and even skype for phone. (they work if you're connected via wireless, just make sure to turn off your data plan!!)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
ATT has a 10 dollar a day plan if thats how you want to go.

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/day-pass.html

Basically for 10 dollars a day, you can use your plan including data / texting. He's the big traveler and it was cheaper going this route than not as he didn't use it every single day.

Also you might want to look at other options like whatsapp, google hangouts and even skype for phone. (they work if you're connected via wireless, just make sure to turn off your data plan!!)

I live in WA and go to both Canada and Mexico often. For me, my AT&T plan was cheaper to have unlimited plans for Canada, US, and Mexico than I was paying before! I just keep it as part of my normal plan.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't *need* a special plan, but phone calls/texts will be much higher. When I'm in the US I usually just rely on WIFI. Van will have lots of wifi places, so personally I wouldn't worry about it. Unless making a phone call I leave the phone in airplane mode and hook up to wifi. Iphones will also send texts via imessage for free (to other iphones) if on wifi.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you got your information. :)) I thought this was going to be a thread about how ridiculously expensive cell phones and cell plans are in Canada. :eek2: I am envious of the US where you seem to have cheaper plans and phones, or buy one get one free!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We are using WiFi here also, but if need roaming data (as we did in San Diego) it was 7 bucks a day (and really didn't use as much data as we though we would.).

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results