shape
carat
color
clarity

Celestial or floral setting for diamond? Can't decide :(

Which style for a hand-forged e-ring for OEC, celestial or floral?

• Celestial ring with moons

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • Floral ring with petals

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have been in reset purgatory for a little while. :???: I have a 1.3 carat OEC I want to put into a solitaire.

Her current dress and my wedding ring
IMG-4209.jpg

I think I am finally inching close to the finish line. I have considered so many vendors and styles, but in this process realized that my original wedding band is more sentimental to me than I thought and it really matters to my husband who has been endlessly supportive. I am going to slim the plain band down a bit.

I want something with pizzaz, but to wear every day. My two favorite motifs in my life and my art are celestial and floral. I am an artsy fartsy person. I like unusual and whimsical.

Inken at Enhoerning will likely be my vendor of choice. I will do hand-forged, all platinum. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I want this ring to match this stacker because I loved it from the moment I saw it and will be buying it.

Band it needs to match with in addition to a plain band (will be bright-cut with milgrain)

1631200677006.png

Celestial ring

Finding a tasteful celestial ring was no small feat. I love the little moons on the side and the profile. I'd have her a little lower set. Something about my E-colored diamond makes me think of the moon, bright and white. Like a siren. I like that this one has a little more going on...but it is too much?

1631200825542.png

1631200844593.png

Floral ring

These petals aren't quite right, but this is the rough idea. Who doesn't love petals delicately holding a diamond, nestled in their embrace? It is romantic and lovely. It conjures gardens and the warmth of the sun to me.

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 10.22.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 10.22.44 AM.png

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The band will be diamonds or multicolored stones? If diamonds, I think the celestial setting will be best. I think changing from a three stone, you might not love the diamond in a plain solitaire. I do not like the second setting. I think you could find better floral options.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
My two cents - the ering that best matches a plain stacker and a colorful stacker is your current ring. It's the perfect combo of old (diamonds) and new (more modern setting) to complement the old and new stackers. With both of your inspiration pieces, you lose that "new" component - especially with the Georgian repro. If your heart is set on a reset, I would look to a different floral design. What I would do is add a third floral band to tie the set together. Good luck, and I'm sure it will be beautiful no matter what!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/776840...mond-ring-curved?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1
il_794xN.2228848485_nlh4.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/726151...tage-yellow-gold?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1
https://www.etsy.com/listing/726151...tage-yellow-gold?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1
floralring1.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The band will be diamonds or multicolored stones? If diamonds, I think the celestial setting will be best. I think changing from a three stone, you might not love the diamond in a plain solitaire. I do not like the second setting. I think you could find better floral options.

It will be the multi colored stone! I agree there’s something funky about the petals…I’d have them more tulip-like!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My two cents - the ering that best matches a plain stacker and a colorful stacker is your current ring. It's the perfect combo of old (diamonds) and new (more modern setting) to complement the old and new stackers. With both of your inspiration pieces, you lose that "new" component - especially with the Georgian repro. If your heart is set on a reset, I would look to a different floral design. What I would do is add a third floral band to tie the set together. Good luck, and I'm sure it will be beautiful no matter what!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/776840...mond-ring-curved?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1
il_794xN.2228848485_nlh4.jpg

floralring1.jpg

Thank you! I appreciate it.

I think the simplicity of my current setting bugs me, and I don’t like the “wall of diamonds” look. I also copied the setting directly from another vendor which feels yucky. But I totally hear you!

good food for thought… the floral setting I shared is too funky as is, maybe this version is closer to what I am after

i really don’t like the leaves, again (reminds me Brussels sprouts :lol: …so I’d probably smooth them out)

I know CVBs dahlia is popular, but something about it doesn’t quite sit right with me and I’m worried about communications with her frankly

E92F5699-C9F1-4236-9BC2-694DA24D3243.jpeg E200C101-BFB5-4F0D-8722-30F1D2F1F111.jpeg

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Since I KNOW you get my vibe

@ItsMainelyYou I would love your 2 cents if you care to offer it!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Heck @Mary Queen of Scotch you too, lady! :lol:

And anyone else on this forum with an affinity for something a little atypical!

And @yssie and @mrs-b for your design eagle eyes and impeccable taste, if you don’t mind.

I know there are others but I don’t want to bug anyone!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it's just me, but this setting doesn't look floral to me either. It looks like giant prongs covering up a significant portion of the stone. What about modifying your current setting to turn the side bezels into diamond moons a la the first pic? I think you'd have three options here: 1) main stone with side moons, eliminate side stones; 2) main stone with side moons, keep side stone as is; 3) all three stones with side moons.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
If you’re stacking with two other bands, I think the floral solitaire is the right way to go. I love the celestial setting and the side view is to die for, but it may read too busy with that stack. Also, if “wall of diamonds“ is what you’re trying to get away from, then it feels (to me) too visually similar to your current ring (which is also lovely).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it's just me, but this setting doesn't look floral to me either. It looks like giant prongs covering up a significant portion of the stone. What about modifying your current setting to turn the side bezels into diamond moons a la the first pic? I think you'd have three options here: 1) main stone with side moons, eliminate side stones; 2) main stone with side moons, keep side stone as is; 3) all three stones with side moons.

I see what you are saying. The design is off. I just couldn’t find anything that exactly emulated what I wanted…I don’t like the sharp claw prongs so many petal designs end in, and then others were way too modern

I haven’t thought about using the current setting. It’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure I want to keep the semi bezel, honestly. I like it, but I think it might be easier for me to start from scratch

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
If you’re stacking with two other bands, I think the floral solitaire is the right way to go. I love the celestial setting and the side view is to die for, but it may read too busy with that stack. Also, if “wall of diamonds“ is what you’re trying to get away from, then it feels (to me) too visually similar to your current ring (which is also lovely).

Great points. I have a feeling I might wear only one band at a time, actually. And on low key days, my plain band + sapphire band. On flashy days, all 3

back when I first selected my 3 stone, I really wanted pears. But I couldn’t find antique pears and modern ones looked weird with the OEC. I loved the tapered silhouette …maybe if I make the moons / side elements smaller it might be more aesthetically pleasing to me

here’s what I mean (that’s my stone)

9F31328D-1870-423F-8967-D8BC0576887E.jpeg B3875DCB-77BA-4397-B988-22B5769758F6.jpeg

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I honestly love the moon one. I am a 3-stone girl though so that probably plays a part.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Great points. I have a feeling I might wear only one band at a time, actually. And on low key days, my plain band + sapphire band. On flashy days, all 3

back when I first selected my 3 stone, I really wanted pears. But I couldn’t find antique pears and modern ones looked weird with the OEC. I loved the tapered silhouette …maybe if I make the moons / side elements smaller it might be more aesthetically pleasing to me

here’s what I mean (that’s my stone)

9F31328D-1870-423F-8967-D8BC0576887E.jpeg B3875DCB-77BA-4397-B988-22B5769758F6.jpeg

I see what you mean. I stinking love pear side stones. I also really like the look of the celestial ring, I just wanted to make sure it looked different enough for you. And yea, on flashy days, busy is by definition what you want, so disregard that point of mine!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean. I stinking love pear side stones. I also really like the look of the celestial ring, I just wanted to make sure it looked different enough for you. And yea, on flashy days, busy is by definition what you want, so disregard that point of mine!

Totally, I WANT the kind of feedback you provided! So I really really appreciate your candor! It helps me think things through a lot

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So - you want to wear this new ring in combination with these two rings, right?

This band, which will be made a bit less wide (but depth off the finger will remain the same):
1631223436991.png

And this band, but the melee will be bright cut with milgrained channels:
1631223514152.png

What's the height (depth off the finger) of the brightcut band compared to the plain band? And what about width? Will they match in height/width?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So - you want to wear this new ring in combination with these two rings, right?

This band, which will be made a bit less wide (but depth off the finger will remain the same):
1631223436991.png

And this band, but the melee will be bright cut with milgrained channels:
1631223514152.png

What's the height (depth off the finger) of the brightcut band compared to the plain band? And what about width? Will they match in height/width?

Great question. I don’t mind if they are slightly different.

My wedding band is 1.8mm off the finger.

I will ask Inken about the bright cut band’s depth. I know it is 2.5mm in width, and my plain band is currently 2.7-2.8

I will most commonly wear them separately with my e-ring, or together without my e-ring. Occasionally all 3

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I've been obsessing on carved/inlaid floral prongs- but I haven't had the time to find picture examples to show you what I mean. But the texture on this brooch is one of the looks I'm thinking of.
I've got stuff happening ATM, but I'll be back later on to weigh in!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great question. I don’t mind if they are slightly different.

My wedding band is 1.8mm off the finger.

I will ask Inken about the bright cut band’s depth. I know it is 2.5mm in width, and my plain band is currently 2.7-2.8

I will most commonly wear them separately with my e-ring, or together without my e-ring. Occasionally all 3

I really like this mount a lot!
1631224475339.png

It's got the milgrain sidestones to tie into the brightcut band, the plain shank to match the plain band... I might exaggerate the airgap between the side "moons" and the centerstone to really squash any "wall of sparkle" effect. I know you don't like enclosed bezel centers - would a centerstone bezel with a very open gallery be something you'd be comfy with? The pronged center is the one thing that doesn't have a design mate in either band...

I would personally probably add surprise stones in the same colours as the band on the interior of the shank - a mental "tie in", even if not visible. That's probably just me though :bigsmile:

How do you feel about coloured melee in the main ring? I'm thinking of those shoulder marquise elements...

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I've been obsessing on carved/inlaid floral prongs- but I haven't had the time to find picture examples to show you what I mean. But the texture on this brooch is one of the looks I'm thinking of.
I've got stuff happening ATM, but I'll be back later on to weigh in!

Thank you!! That’s breathtaking

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I really like this mount a lot!
1631224475339.png

It's got the milgrain sidestones to tie into the brightcut band, the plain shank to match the plain band... I might exaggerate the airgap between the side "moons" and the centerstone to really squash any "wall of sparkle" effect. I know you don't like enclosed bezel centers - would a centerstone bezel with a very open gallery be something you'd be comfy with? The pronged center is the one thing that doesn't have a design mate in either band...

I would personally probably add surprise stones in the same colours as the band on the interior of the shank - a mental "tie in", even if not visible. That's probably just me though :bigsmile:

How do you feel about coloured melee in the main ring? I'm thinking of those shoulder marquise elements...

Thanks so much for weighing in. I totally agree regarding the gap between the moon and center.

I also remeasured my wedding band and the depth is 2mm. Inken confirmed that the sapphire band is 2mm. Fortuitous!

I personally love the idea of colored stones in the engagement ring…but my husband has a strong aversion to it, so I’ll respect his wishes. Inken also said they have only the exact amount of melee for one band. It’ll give me some flexibility to pair with other rings in the future with diamonds only I think anyways

Interesting idea with a bezel…I will have to contemplate. I may just get the band from Inken to start and finalize the setting later…I’m still debating working with Inken or Maytal for the setting. I had such a great rapport with Maytal when I reached out! I love that she does sketches and her portfolio is more diverse than her IG represents

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortuitous indeed! That makes designing the gallery so much easier!

My other half feels the same way about coloured gemstones and diamonds - one or the other please. He's okay with diamond halos and (one pair of) diamond sidestones, but anything else... Not so much. I don't think it makes much difference in your design idea, anyway.

I would definitely get the band first and see how you wear it. I think sometimes pieces really do speak to us... At the very least I think it'll give you a clearer idea of preferred vendor direction ❤️

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Fortuitous indeed! That makes designing the gallery so much easier!

My other half feels the same way about coloured gemstones and diamonds - one or the other please. He's okay with diamond halos and (one pair of) diamond sidestones, but anything else... Not so much. I don't think it makes much difference in your design idea, anyway.

I would definitely get the band first and see how you wear it. I think sometimes pieces really do speak to us... At the very least, I think it'll give you a clearer idea of preferred vendor direction ❤️

It’s so funny what he’s particular about. But when he’s particular…he’s reaaally particular.

The one thing I’m deliberating is getting the eternity all the way around, or adding a small section to size later. I hate the idea of disrupting the sapphires, but also want to be able to potentially size slightly.

Do you have any knowledge of resizing a bright cut eternity? I was going to go a 1/4 size up anyways…maybe I should do a 1/2?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a one-stone sizer space? I dislike partial eternities too, though, generally. It's possible to cut a full eternity to resize - it just takes skill and $. I always go 3/4-1 size bigger for stacking but I loathe tight rings and I don't mind spinning.

Is it possible to make the depth of the multicolour eternity less than 2mm? That way you could potentially go larger on interior diameter (larger ring size), and add sizer beads/horseshoe/extra metal that could be shaved out later on, but still keep the exterior diameter the same as your plain band.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Maybe a one-stone sizer space? I dislike partial eternities too, though, generally. It's possible to cut a full eternity to resize - it just takes skill and $. I always go 3/4-1 size bigger for stacking but I loathe tight rings and I don't mind spinning.

Is it possible to make the depth of the multicolour eternity less than 2mm? That way you could potentially go larger on interior diameter (larger ring size), and add sizer beads/horseshoe/extra metal that could be shaved out later on, but still keep the exterior diameter the same as your plain band.

Hmmm interesting ideas. Inken expressed that 2mm is as shallow as it can get without the stones poking based on the depth of the sapphires. Maybe I could add a sizing bead without disrupting too much, or just risk having to resize one day. I was curious to know if it was even possible! I think a full size up would drive me batty!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes yeah no pokey culets!! :eek-2:

Maybe just a half up, then, and see how you wear it. You can always add sizers or an inner rim to size down - going up is harder of course!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yikes yeah no pokey culets!! :eek-2:

Maybe just a half up, then, and see how you wear it. You can always add sizers or an inner rim to size down - going up is harder of course!

Thanks for the tips! This is my first eternity!

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
How funny I found your handforged unheated sapphire band just yesterday and sent to my husband to order for my birthday

I agree with others the celestial ring is beautiful and will provide more finger coverage
it feels very much CVB'ish... I tried to work with her a few times and always got flaked on so I had to take my business somewhere else. BUT some people have better luck getting her to start/finish their project.
If she takes it at least you wouldn't have to worry about the workmanship/design... her work is beautiful

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
How funny I found your handforged unheated sapphire band just yesterday and sent to my husband to order for my birthday

I agree with others the celestial ring is beautiful and will provide more finger coverage
it feels very much CVB'ish... I tried to work with her a few times and always got flaked on so I had to take my business somewhere else. BUT some people have better luck getting her to start/finish their project.
If she takes it at least you wouldn't have to worry about the workmanship/design... her work is beautiful

I’m so excited about that band!

and that’s a shame about CVB. Communication is so important to me and flakiness is a dealbreaker. It’s not even worth it to me even though her work is exquisite! I reached out to her about a custom project a while ago and she ghosted on me. No thanks! Im glad she’s a great fit for some as it gives me something to drool over!

Maybe I’ll buy a stock item from her one day…I love her French cut sapphire bands!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also a fan of the whimsical and I love the celestial setting! The moon aspect is not immediately obvious, which I like about it. I think it would look very cool with the multi-colored stacker. I'm also all about floral designs, but agree with @diamondseeker2006 that there are better options out there. You have a gorgeous stone and I'm excited to see where it ends up.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm also a fan of the whimsical and I love the celestial setting! The moon aspect is not immediately obvious, which I like about it. I think it would look very cool with the multi-colored stacker. I'm also all about floral designs, but agree with @diamondseeker2006 that there are better options out there. You have a gorgeous stone and I'm excited to see where it ends up.

I appreciate you weighing in! I absolutely love your style, and am actually considering working with Maytal. I will definitely keep everyone posted…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results