shape
carat
color
clarity

CD''s of Reception Music as Favors?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisy2418

Rough_Rock
Hey y''all,
I have read that a couple of you have given as Wedding Favors CD''s of the music that was played at the reception, or CD''s of your favorite songs.

I would love to do this, but have concerns about the copyright stuff. Even if I paid for the download of the songs, or burned them from CD''s I already had, isn''t it against the rules to copy it a whole bunch of times for distribution? Or, am I just paranoid because of the Napster lawsuits?

Thanks in advance!
Daisy

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to assume you're in the US, since the rules vary by country (for example, in Canada there are ways you could do this and still be legal)

1. burning copies of CDs for backup or personal use is legal. some people argue that what you'd be doing is also legal under the fair use doctorine, but some think that it isn't. note that the people who would be suing you definitely think that it's not legal to copy CDs period, noncommercial use notwithstanding.

2. on a paid download, you'd have to check your terms of use very carefully. there certainly exists music (mostly by independent and small-label artists) which is quite legal to use this way. however, if it's specifically prohibited or not mentioned, you're right back at #1 -- dubious legality.

It's not very likely the RIAA would come after you, unless it's a media-covered wedding or really huge or the lawyers are having a bad day and getting divorced and bitter about the happy marriages going on with people who don't do things like fool around with their (the lawyer's) bosses, thus causing them to be both dismissed and divorced. *cough*

Like I said, it's unlikely anyone will tr to prosecute you, but given the strange set of copyright laws in the US today, this is currently of dubious legality.

(I am not a lawyer.)

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. It is highly unlikely that the very people you are inviting to your wedding are going to turn you in to the RIAA.

However, I suppose you could purchase multiple individual songs from something like iTunes if you truly wanted to be in compliance.

I've had plenty of friends do this and I think it's a great gesture.

Daisy2418

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I know that noone would turn me in for burning the songs. I just didn't know if anyone had thought about the legality of burning 100 CD's or had an experience with it. I don't mind burning a CD for myself, but for 125, it's a different thing. At least for me...

I'm thinking instead of doing little bags with personalized M&M's!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought about this too but in the end it wasn't the legality that turned me off, but rather burning so many darn CD's myself! It just wasn't important at that last leg of the planning. I planned to do small round aluminum tins with plastic lids with our monogram sticker on them and fill them with mints or candies but in the end..the tin lid kept coming off etc..so we bagged the favors entirely. I didn't feel badly though because guests got a tiki mug and shell leis at the rehearsal dinner to take home (as well as bridal party and family got real orchid leis); and I gave them gift bags when they got there with flip flops, coffee, a travel candle, and a bunch of loose orchids...so they already were set with gifts!
2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
We had a reception in a Chinese restaurant (no, we're not Chinese, we just loved the food and the space), and my best friend had personalized fortune cookies made for us--she wrote the fortunes. It was great. Although some of the fortunes were pretty weird. She was breaking up with her husband at the time & definitely felt ambivalent about marriage. If you don't put an ambivalent best friend in charge, I highly recommend personalized fortune cookies as favors.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
I got one as a wedding reception favor and loved it! I thought it was a great idea, plus, new CD!

She hasn't gotten in trouble for it yet... it's been 2 years.

Bethany
saint.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I didn't have 250+ coming to my wedding Id consider this or anythingas a favor. Im probably not going to give favors. Ive noticed that most folks don't take them and care more about booze and food
2.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
We're getting married on 12-23 and as favors giving a CD of our favorite Christmas songs to guests.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results