shape
carat
color
clarity

CDNinNYC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 1:16:02 AM
Author: kama_s
So from Toronto to Punta Canada, leaving Toronto on the 27th of May for 7 nights at the Majestic Colonial All-inclusive:

Redtag.ca: Around 1350 CAD including taxes

Flightnetwork: Around 1400CAD including taxes

Travelcuts.com: Same price as above two

I guess it''s not that reasonable in prices. I dont know what budget you''re looking to stay within, but if you tell me what your guests would be comfortable paying I can do a massive search to find you a nice resort outside of Mexico.

Usually I get the best deals from a company called gofly.ca, but something is up with their website right now and I can''t access their vacation packages. If you''d like, I can call them tomorrow morning. I know the girl who works there (I''ve been getting all my tickets from her for the past 2 years), so I can try and see what kind of a deal she can give (I''m not affiliated with her or the company at all).

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Kama, thanks again! Those prices work into our budgets. The ''lower-end'' rooms our guests booked into were $1600 (that includes tax).

You''re so kind to offer to call your contact at gofly.ca. I would love it but don''t want to put you or her out since we''re forced to go through Transat Holidays.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 8:46:10 AM
Author: pocahontas
((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) to you my friend! I''m so sorry you''re dealing with this; I totally echo Kama''s comment about the timing being so crappy! Okay, thinking hats on....I agree with Kama about looking into the DR or Jamaica. We stayed here http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drelr/index.html La Romana is a lot quieter than Punta Cana so you might have a better chance of putting something together on such short notice. Dreams La Romana Resort and Spa is beautiful and the amenities are amazing - we had great service, but some of our guests experienced long waits getting things delivered to their rooms. The resort recently went over a major reno and upgrade and some of the rooms are missing some of the finer details and still working to iron out some of the kinks, but overall a fabulous resort, imho. The wedding coordinator''s name is Tiara de la Rosa. The good thing about the D.R. is that there is no waiting period. Hmmm, is there anything else we can help you research?! Let us know how we can help, okay?!

ETA: CDN and Kama, I promise I''ll post pics within the next few days; I have a ton! You guys are so sweet for asking
1.gif

Poca, if you''re trying to sell your resort to me, you really need to post some photos of your wedding and your stay there...
31.gif

Thanks so much for the recommendation; it helps to hear what guests have thought of the resorts and locations. I''ve never been to the DR so it''s great to know about La Romana. Muchas gracias!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 9:07:25 AM
Author: Inanna
CDN - sending you tons of HUGS and DUST that everything works out!

You really are so calm, I find it incredibly inspiring. Keep dipping into that tequila
9.gif
and keep us updated.

Inanna, I''ve never needed nor asked for dust before, but I could use some by the truckload. Thank you!

The tequila will have to do; FI has warned me off his scotch.
20.gif
2.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 9:10:30 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Hey CDN I don''t have much to add other than to say I''m sorry you''re dealing with this. Good luck, I''ll be thinking about you.

Thanks Hudson. I appreciate the thoughts and will take all the luck I can!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 9:23:18 AM
Author: pocahontas
14.gif
okay, gotta scrap the idea of La Romana because only Air Canada is offering flights to La Romana so your guests booked on Air Transat would lose their money. How about Cuba? I have to say that imho Cuba''s got amazing beaches, but the food kinda sucks. Having said that I know tons of people who think differently. I''m not sure where you sit on the debate, but if you''re open to the option check this resort out; it looks stunning http://www.aircanadavacations.com/catalog/externalResortDetails.do?language=en&hotelCode=ROYA&destinationCode=SNU

Both Air Canada and Air Transat are offering AI packages for $1270 and $1357 respectively, taxes included, leaving on May 24th. Wedding packages are available.

Hmmm, still thinking about other options.....

You never know, Romana might be one of those ''new destinations'' Air Transat is talking about but isn''t providing details.

Yes, Cuba is tricky ''cause those guests from the US won''t be able to go. The prices are great, though!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 9:55:30 AM
Author: wannaBMrsH
CDN, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I post on another board and there is a bride that made it down to Mexico on Monday for her wedding this weekend only to find the same thing, that AirCanada cancelled all flights to Mexico, her parents had to go to New York to fly down and none of her guests will be able to make it. I don''t know why they are imposing such a long ban when it seems that the worst is over.

To echo Kama, if you are looking for an alternative, I ditto the DR. I am getting married there in August and I can''t recommend my resort enough. We are staying at the Iberostar Punta Cana. They just completed major renovations as well and the reviews have been really great on TripAdvisor. When we went on our scouting trips, one of our favorite things was that even though they have 4 different ceremony locations, they only have 1 wedding per day. Several of the resorts we looked at had up to three weddings per day and you could see the frustration in some brides when they weren''t getting the attention they deserved on their wedding day.

Let me know if you want our WC information there as our guests were able to secure a package for right around $1100 per person and I''m sure NYC would be cheaper. Plus both AirTransat and AirCanada fly directly into Punta Cana.

I send you many hugs and lots of dust**************************************

WannabMrsH, are you going to the Iberostar Grand? I''m getting all muddled with the different resort names and am under the impression there are two? Is that right? If you could pass along your WC''s info, that would be fabulous. I''m getting a bit impatient waiting for my T.A. to get back to me and wanna start contacting these resorts myself.

Can I ask what you''re doing for a photographer/dj? Are you using what the resort is providing or bringing in your own vendors?

Thanks for your help!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 7:42:09 PM
Author: katamari
Date: 4/29/2009 9:07:25 AM

Author: Inanna

CDN - sending you tons of HUGS and DUST that everything works out!

You really are so calm, I find it incredibly inspiring. Keep dipping into that tequila
9.gif
and keep us updated.

A huge ditto! I think the fact that you can be so level through this shows that your relationship means so much more to you than your wedding. Best luck with this!

Thanks Katamari. To me, the wedding is just a day. At this point, I''d be ok with a trip to city hall but I''m feeling responsible for all our guests and what happens to them because of our decision to have a DW. They''ve all been wonderful and supportive but I can''t help but feel guilty.
39.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 7:46:28 PM
Author: allycat0303
CDN: What terrible timing for you. I really hope you are able to work it all out!

Thanks allycat0303, I hope so too.
5.gif

The gods are really hating on Mexico right now, what with the drug wars, the swine flu and its fall-out, and then the earthquake. I feel for that country.
7.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 7:54:09 PM
Author: Maisie
I don''t suppose your guests could fly into the US and then onto Mexico? Just a suggestion and probably a stupid one but I am trying to help.
1.gif

Hey Maisie, your suggestion is not stupid at all and is one I was considering today but then I spoke with FI who told me he had a couple guests tell him they are nervous about Mexico and another guest who would be banned from work for 15 days if he went.
7.gif

I''m trying to figure out what would be the least disruption for everyone.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 8:48:15 PM
Author: Harriet
To those of you who don''t know CDN in real life,

She is one of the calmest and level-headed people I know. So is her fiance. Just don''t get in her way when she''s hungry.
9.gif

Awww, thanks Harriet. You''re lucky you''re in Miami. I had a lovely (please note the sarcasm) visit with an oral surgeon today and have been sucking back Ensure all day. Blech. Liquid diets suck.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said we wouldn''t talk about teeth anymore.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 8:57:30 PM
Author: mscushion
I''m so, so sorry you are dealing with this. What a nightmare.

Hey mscushion. Nightmare is right but I''m trying to look on the bright side that no one has been hurt or gotten sick from this.

Hopefully we''ll be on the beach soon and have a great laugh over all this craziness of planning a wedding in less than 30 days!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 10:38:53 PM
Author: Harriet
You said we wouldn''t talk about teeth anymore.

Teeth? Who said anything about teeth...
2.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that''s good then. I was a little worried about the budget because I wasn''t sure what your guests would be comfortable paying. Majestic Colonial would be a good choice for you - it''s a beautiful resort! And having a wedding by the beach as the sun sets
30.gif
If you want pictures of the resort, ask! Also, starting was the 1300 CAD, but you can upgrade if you want nicer room/view etc.

If I can help at all, just shout out! It''s easier since I''m in the city (and I''m at home, so got plenty of time!).

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope that you find an alternative CDN. That''s awful having this happen so close to the wedding. Sending lots of dust.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
CDN, according to Air Transat''s website, the following are the additional dates/flights being made available out of Toronto:

Varadero Thursday
April 30 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 07 (1 Week)

Punta Cana Friday
May 01 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 08 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 15 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 22 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 29 (1 Week)

Montego Bay Saturday
May 02 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 09 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 16 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 23 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 30 (1 Week)

Cayo Coco Sunday
May 03 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 10 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 17 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 24 (1 & 2 Weeks)
May 31 (1 Week)

Do you have any other news from your travel agent?

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
CDN, sorry for the late reply, I''ve been keeping very busy at work these days and barely have had time to log in.

I am not staying at the Iberostar Grand, although, that is a bit more posh than my resort, Iberostar Punta Cana. The Iberostar Punta Cana shares lobbies, restaurants and pools with the Iberostar Dominicana. The difference between the two is that IPC is all hotel rooms and the IDominicana is all villas.

The WC contact information for Iberostar Punta Cana and Iberostar Dominicana is:

Yoselina Francisco
[email protected]
809/221-6500 ext. 1624

Her assistant''s name is Magalis and they are both super responsive and very patient even though my cell constantly drops my calls (so we have to pick up where we left off each time).

We are taking our own photographer, but a previous bride at the resort sent me pics that the resort photographer took and they were very beautiful. She said that she had trouble limiting the pictures to their favorite 90, but worked out a deal with the photographer to buy all the digital prints.

The DJ is $190USD/Hour.

I hope this is helpful, if for no other reason than to give you a pricepoint to compare in the DR. Good Luck and hit us up for any help that you need!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
If there is any way you guys could still get to Mexico, do it. Seriously, it is all status quo down here and we had a wonderful wedding and an amazing honeymoon.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
just letting you know im thinking of you and sending good vibes....so sorry to see that you are going through this.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 11:48:28 PM
Author: kama_s
Oh that''s good then. I was a little worried about the budget because I wasn''t sure what your guests would be comfortable paying. Majestic Colonial would be a good choice for you - it''s a beautiful resort! And having a wedding by the beach as the sun sets
30.gif
If you want pictures of the resort, ask! Also, starting was the 1300 CAD, but you can upgrade if you want nicer room/view etc.

If I can help at all, just shout out! It''s easier since I''m in the city (and I''m at home, so got plenty of time!).

Sorry for the late reply! I''ve been a little busy
31.gif
trying to sort things out. So, the Iberostar is not available for our dates. I also really liked the Majestic Colonial and kept asking my TA about it. She kept responding it was out of our price range
20.gif
even though online it was significantly cheaper than what our guests had paid ($1590+). Finally, I was like, ''just tell me how much more it is "according to Air Transat"''! When she told me $150 more per person, I almost flipped my lid on her. She kept pushing other less attractive properties on me all week for a measly $150 that my FI and I would have gladly paid for everyone!?!?! So today, my friend and I called Air Transat directly to avoid going through the TA who told me the Colonial no longer has enough space for my group.
39.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 4:21:31 AM
Author: bee*
I hope that you find an alternative CDN. That''s awful having this happen so close to the wedding. Sending lots of dust.

Thanks so much, Bee. I really believe the Canadian airlines blew this out of proportion and so many people are paying the price now.
29.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the dates, Poca! I had seen them on their site. I need to vent here a moment ''cause I''m getting ready to lose my s%$. Can anyone please explain to me what good extra flights will do to alternative destinations when the resorts are full? Can someone also explain to me why all the Canadian Airlines have determined the resort towns (Cancun, Cabo, PV, Acapulco) are ''too dangerous'' to fly to (there are no reported illnesses in these areas) yet Air Canada is still flying to Mexico City because of ''high demand''? Can someone further explain to me why these same airlines, who cancelled flights for the ENTIRE month of May, thought it was necessary to do so when the Canadian government did NOT put a ban on flights and the WHO does NOT recommend travel restriction? I would also LOVE to know why, all of a sudden, a flight to Punta Cana jumped from $350 to $2100 in the span of a few days?

I''m dealing with all this while at the same time trying to figure out guests'' schedules between now and October in case we need to postpone. We have such a small group that they are all A-List guests. How do I tell FI''s nephew (from Germany) who is one of FI''s Best Men and has been looking forward to seeing us and the rest of the family, that we have to pick a new date that doesn''t work with his school schedule when we had specifically selected our date because he was off school! If we pick another date that works within his school schedule, it conflicts with one of D''s closest friend''s wedding. It wouldn''t be on the same date but close enough that common friends (who already have tickets to Mexico) would have to choose between our wedding and his never mind that HE, the groom, also has a freakin'' ticket to Mexico! Let''s not forget my uncle and godfather who was super excited to attend our wedding and gave us an enormously generous gift who has an extended trip to Europe all planned and paid for (June 6th to October 11th). I could go on; the list of conflicts is never-ending. One date that would work (December 27th to January 3rd) isn''t convenient for the airline; they''re forcing us to travel by October 31st and will not bend, even if we offer to pay the difference in costs. On top of it all, I have a TA who is absolutely useless and who is so annoyingly irritating, everyone in my group wants to throttle her.

Anyone know a good lawyer?
11.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, wannaBMrsH. I've been told by my TA the Iberostar properties are booked but it doesn't hurt for me to contact your WC directly to confirm. Those resorts look fabulous and got really good reviews.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hey EricaD! So happy to hear everything is going well with you in PDC. From what I''ve heard from my Photographer and WC, everything is as normal there. You wanna know what''s frustrating the heck out of me? D and I have our flights booked with Mexicana Airlines, which is still good to go. I''ve also learned a few other guests are also booked with US carriers that have not cancelled. So, 17 guests are on the cancelled Canadian airlines and 16 (including us) are on US/Mexican flights.

A number of guests, including our parents, have said they would come, regardless, but I would feel horrible if any of them got sick. It''s one thing for me to decide to still go; it''s another for them. They''re doing it for us. D said it would destroy what should be a happy memory (our wedding) if any of them got sick and I agree.
39.gif

I just don''t know what to do. Grrrrrrrr.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 3:54:20 PM
Author: DMBFiredancer
just letting you know im thinking of you and sending good vibes....so sorry to see that you are going through this.

Thanks DMB. It really does help to know you''re sending us good thoughts. Everyone''s been so kind and helpful. You guys are the best!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Ok, look at it this way.

The closest confirmed case of the flu is in Mexico City, about 1000 miles away. Where is the closest case to you right now? NYC? Probably a whole heck of a lot closer than it is from this area to Mexico City!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erica is right, I wouldn''t be too concerned with your guests falling sick. I think after reading all the issues you''re having with switching destinations, I would find a way for the guests to fly out of the US. That might be your best resort (pun not intended!) at the moment.

I can''t believe how dumb your TA is.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results