shape
carat
color
clarity

Cats and dog.... How concerned?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"A" left an art project on the floor of her room (yes, I told her to pick it up and thought she had... Next time I will check). We just got home to find two cats chewing on pieces of it. This was a paper mache mask. I think the dog carried it out. Some combination shredded it. Think large confetti size.

Foil, newspaper, a bit of glue, and whatever paint they used in school last year. At least one cat and probably two were eating little pieces.

I have no idea how much they ate or even for sure who did or didn't eat.

How worried should I be? I have never had a cat eat foil before. Quick search turns up either it is no big deal or it could perforate stomachs. I don't want to load everyone into the car to go to the emergency vet for xrays but I don't want anyone to die or suffer because of this.

Ideas?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am erring on the side of very concerned but don't want to call the emergency vet because she ALWAYS errs on the side of caution and would want every last one of them in for xrays right now. (last time was one cat with minor issue that should have waited but didn't so cost almost $2000 plus the direction to see regular vet in the morning)

But I don't want to not call and wish I had.

Gah!!!
My poor fur babies! I just want them safe and healthy.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cat ate 12 inches of acrylic yarn last year, and I was a basket case, worrying about it.
I scoured the internet, and made myself crazy over all the horrible scenarios I found there.
In the end, the yarn came out in one poopy piece, and I was very relieved.
Chances are, any chewed-up foil bits will end up in the litter box.
Keep a close eye, and do call the vet if you don't see foil-poop in the next 2 days or so.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't be as concerned with the cats as I would the dog. Dogs will eat anything. Cats less so.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Never had this specific situation, but my dog ate a whole package of sugar free gum one time! I never buy gum and left my purse on the couch - he thought it was a treat for him! I freaked out and ended up paying $60 or so to speak with the animal poison control hotline. They told me it was not toxic in the amount that he had but they walked me through inducing vomiting using peroxide. It didn't work and he just pooped weird for 1-2 days. You could always call them if you are looking for a cheaper alternative! Might not be helpful since you don't know who ate what, though. Keep an eye on them and trust your gut!

PS - Wanted to add that the internet basically said my dog was headed toward death which was not the case. And now that I think about it he did have some foil that was in the package, but the gum itself was wrapped in paper.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1468812203|4056576 said:
I wouldn't be as concerned with the cats as I would the dog. Dogs will eat anything. Cats less so.

I think our dog got some while tearing it up, but I caught two of the cats actually chewing or eating it.

They scare me so badly! We have to be so careful what is around because the cats just chew and/or eat All sorts of stuff. (cables, power cords, tissues, toilet paper, cloth napkins, zippers, phones, wood furniture...)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ihy138|1468812842|4056579 said:
Never had this specific situation, but my dog ate a whole package of sugar free gum one time! I never buy gum and left my purse on the couch - he thought it was a treat for him! I freaked out and ended up paying $60 or so to speak with the animal poison control hotline. They told me it was not toxic in the amount that he had but they walked me through inducing vomiting using peroxide. It didn't work and he just pooped weird for 1-2 days. You could always call them if you are looking for a cheaper alternative! Might not be helpful since you don't know who ate what, though. Keep an eye on them and trust your gut!

PS - Wanted to add that the internet basically said my dog was headed toward death which was not the case. And now that I think about it he did have some foil that was in the package, but the gum itself was wrapped in paper.

Scary! I have seen all those gum warnings. That must have been terrifying!

Great to know there is a place to call. Not sure how much help they can give without knowing how much of what each got (or didn't get).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1468809079|4056559 said:
My cat ate 12 inches of acrylic yarn last year, and I was a basket case, worrying about it.
I scoured the internet, and made myself crazy over all the horrible scenarios I found there.
In the end, the yarn came out in one poopy piece, and I was very relieved.
Chances are, any chewed-up foil bits will end up in the litter box.
Keep a close eye, and do call the vet if you don't see foil-poop in the next 2 days or so.

Lucky cat! So glad he/She is Okay.

Thanks for sharing. The internet has all the scary stories and it is not good when already worried.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep an eye on their appetites and the output in the litterbox in the meantime until the vet is opened tomorrow.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree keep an eye on the poop and behaviour of each, they will have upset guts (very runny poo) and/or be acting strange if you need to panic and take them to a vet, otherwise they will probably just poop it out....

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
24 hours now and still doing okay. All energetic, eating, drinking, and pooping normal.

Hoping this keeps going. They may also have just shredded and only ingested little.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results