shape
carat
color
clarity

catholic brides---song help!!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
not sure how many catholic brides are out there, of course past & present are welcome to help me.

we're trying to get all the details of Mass together now, since our wedding is right around the corner. we've decided on readings, vows, trying to compile "prayers of the faithful" now. and MUSIC. ugh, so, we will have a piano player & soloist. we can played recorded music for the processional. and i need help. i think i've figured out what songs we need, but i'm not sure what to pick or what people usually pick. i want songs that are familiar to (most) people in attendance, so that they sing along b/c i don't like singing when i don't already know the song. here's what we've got so far. any advice/opinions/sharing of your songs is GREATLY appreciated.

here's what i've got so far
Prelude: ??
Entrance Rite (Wedding Processional): “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” Bach (wedding party) and
“Canon in D” Pachelbel (bride)
Gloria: (let music minister choose?)
Responsorial Psalm: “I Will Bless the Lord at All Times” (may be read instead of sung)
Gospel Acclamation (Alleluia): (let music minister choose?)
Preparation of the Gifts: ??
Sanctus (Holy, holy): (let music minister choose?)
Memorial Acclamation: (let music minister choose?)
The Great Amen: (let music minister choose?)
Breaking of the Bread: (let music minister choose?)
Communion: “We are One Body” Dana or
“Here I Am Lord” Shutte or
“One Bread, One Body” Talbot
Recessional: “Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee” words: Henry J. Van Dyke, music: “Hymn to Joy” Beethoven or
“City of God” Shutte

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I like your choices so far! I chose quite a bit of the music for our Catholic wedding. The two hymns we had were "All Praise and Glad Thanksgiving" and "Holy God We Praise Thy Name," which are both very traditional hymns. Friends who are Protestant told me they had heard them before, so I decided on those since they appeared to have wide appeal, and more people would therefore be likely to sing along.

We had a soloist sing Ave Maria and a friend sang the Responsorial Psalm and the Alleluia. For the prelude, the pianist just played church-appropriate classical music in his repertoire. He did the same after the recessional. In cases where I didn't have a strong opinion, I just went with what he suggested, figuring that if he was comfortable with something, that was probably what would sound best.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I used to do a lot of singing in weddings. I love "Here I Am, Lord!" as a song for soloists. We also had "Hymn of Joy" for our recessional!

Congratulations on your wedding!!!

I've sung in a couple of Catholic Weddings and Ave Maria was always my favorite.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for some more suggestions.

i really love "here i am, Lord" uppy---we'll probably go with that one.

kittybean, i'm not familiar with those two hymns, i'm going to look them up though.

as for "ave maria" i love that song, but (and this is going to sound so mean, i'm sorry in advance) the soloist isn't *that* great. and i just think that song needs a SINGER, ya know?

gotcha. that song definitely takes someone who can knock it out of the park.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
lulu66 said:

kittybean, i'm not familiar with those two hymns, i'm going to look them up though.

as for "ave maria" i love that song, but (and this is going to sound so mean, i'm sorry in advance) the soloist isn't *that* great. and i just think that song needs a SINGER, ya know?

Absolutely! :errrr:

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
lulu66 said:

VERY TRUE! Could that be one of your recorded songs?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Ill look through my song book from the wedding and let you know what I used.
I picked which Gloria and Alleluia and Holy Holy Holy I wanted...I have some favorite versions our church uses but didn't want them to be too different so our grandparents didn't have heart attacks :razz:
I know we used "On Eagles Wings" but don't remember where.

And I was lucky...I got to pick all of the prelude songs and he played Journeys "Faithfully." Awesomeness.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
please do, charbie. i'd be interested in all your choices.

"faithfully"=awesomeness :)) :))

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
My all time favorites that were played in my church for weddings:
the wedding song, stooker?
On angels wings
One bread, one body
St Francis prayer
His eye is on the sparrow

But if your REALLY want to bring the house down, and I mean you better hope they brought the tissues... Then pull out the "teach your children well" song by Graham Nash. During a parent moment... Not a dry eye in the house! :twirl:

charbie

Ideal_Rock
ok- so i'm sure by now you've picked songs, but i figured ill post this for future brides maybe searching. plus i'm cleaning a bunch of wedding stuff since we are packing our house up to be sold, and throwing away unused invites and programs :(

prelude: panis angelicus, edelweiss, londonderry air, mandolin concerto in c major, faithfully
seating of family: sheep may safely graze
processional (attendants): canon in d
processional (bride): jesu, joy of man's desiring

1st reading: song of songs 2:8-10, 14, 16a; 8:6-7a
Responsorial psalm: Psalm 148
2nd reading: Phillipians 4:4-9
Gospel Acclamation: Alleluia! Give the Glory
Homily: Matthew 19:3-6

We were able to pick which "mass" we wanted- basically we picked the Mass of Creation and the Litergy of the Eucharist went along with the whole thing- made it easy.
Sign of Peace- Lamb of God
Presentation of the gifts: You Are Mine (our mothers were the EM's)
Communion: One Bread, One Body; On Eagles Wings
Meditation: Ave Maria

Recessional: Trumpet Voluntary

Whew. That's a lot. But I remember after picking out the music, i thought, "ok, now we are really getting married" because i could then picture our mass in my head. i loved the whole ceremony, and it was so personalized. My priest cracked me up throughout the whole thing, and even though we had a rehearsal, i swear, the whole thing seemed improvized. i look back and laugh...it was awesome.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
no, charb i haven't finalized the music yet, so this is very helpful! thanks for coming back & posting it!

btw, i love that song of songs reading; i really wanted to use it as our first reading but we had decided on genesis 2:18-24 instead. (if only we could have 2 first readings :tongue: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results