shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat peed on couch last night - what to do? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
So, yesterday I came home to find a nice puddle of cat pee in the middle of our new couch (new in the "new" hand me down way..)

Yeah - first time we''ve ever had 2 pieces of matching furniture and one of the cats peed right on it.

Any tips on how to clean it? So far I have blotted with cold water, white vinegar and baking powder. Let if home, with a wet compress on the spot and a chair on top of it to give it weight so it would "soak up".

HELP!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really about all you can do, it is possible to get to the inside of the cushion if it is fabric covered? If so that would be a help as the urine can soak through. White vinegar is good, many make the mistake of using an ammonia based cleaner and that just attracts the cat back to the same spot. I have heard good things about Nature's Miracle, that might be worth a try. Keep an eye on your cat too, sometimes tiddling in unusual places can be a sign that they might be unwell, of course it might just be plain marking if it is new. Did they sit on it and tiddle or spray? Also try not to leave the cat unattended with the furniture if possible as it can take a while for the odour ( which we often can't smell) to go and they might establish it as a tiddle zone
6.gif
, this might be difficult but worth doing for a day or two.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Treysar, that sux.
38.gif
They have stuff you can get at Petsmart that is suppose to be really good with cleaning up and getting rid of the smell. Well getting rid of 95% of the smell...cats have really keen sense of smell. I can''t remember what it''s called but you can find it on their wedsite.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my nieghbors thought Febreeze worked pretty well.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty sure it was a "sit and tiddle" - not a spray. It just seemed so deliberate - it was directly in the center of the new couch, a perfect circle the size of a salad plate. Damn it.

Thanks for all of your help though! I will have to send it to the cleaner tongiht after soaking all day..

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You need an odor neutralizer like Nature''s Miracle, etc. You need to also get to the "stuffing" if it was wet as well.

Cat urine is one of the hardest smells to tackle - you''ve got to be agressive. Sorry to mention this - but we had to pitch a sofa because one of our cats kept spraying it.

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I had a similar issue, except my cat pooped on the new leather couch!

I tried many things to get the smell out, you must get the smell out otherwise they will do it again. The best thing I have found is a product called Odor-X-it. It''s very concentrated, removed the smell and stain. I literally soaked the leather with it, no color removal either.

Then used it for my puppies, I can soak the rug and it dried beatutifully with no order. It''s expenseve but well worth it! I think everyone is trained now.. but I still keep it around, just in case.

www.odorxit.com

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully it might be a one off as the couch is new, keep soaking and get to the cushion inside if you can, then get it cleaned. Also try to keep puss away from it for a while if you can, then hopefully the " smell" of the furniture will smell the same to them as their other things in your home. They might have done this to mark it as it is new
29.gif
29.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no! Sorry about your couch. the first week we had our new couch, my son threw up on it
7.gif
I was devastated.

I ended up buying a mini-stain remover and soaking up as much of the icky as possible and then spraying a special odor neutralizing solution called Oust. It works VERY WELL and it''s only $4.00-6.00. It''s strong. I took the cover off the cushion and put it outside, sprayed the cover and left it overnight. Now, there''s no trace of any smell.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Go to PetSmart or PetCo and purchase, "Natures Miracle." It breaks down the enzymes of the urine and helps clean it up. Furthermore, the NM will help in preventing the cat from using that spot as his new litterbox, because he won''t be able to smell it...

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
white vinegar is a great odor neutralizer, using those store bought ones did not work for me when we were training portia, she seemed to know it smelled different there and peed there on purpose. animals have such a keen sense of smell, i tend to think that putting stuff on top of it doesn''t work so well.

i used white vinegar on all the spots and she stopped immediately, this was all when she was a puppy of course.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i, too, use vinegar...it has been more effective with my household of 7 cats than any product.

cats do not adapt well to change of furniture...as you have found out. also, being a new to you but previously owned couch, there could still be odors undetectable to you that your cat finds objectionable.

i made a ''sheet'' of water repellant material for our sofa and it has worked very well as one of my cats is extremely sensitive to anything out of the ordinary day, including people coming into the house......

another possibility is your cat has a urinary problem but i''m betting he''s just pissed off........

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results