shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat lovers please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 2:13:00 PM
Author: divergrrl

But you are right..sometimes when you have animals (which are not like humans & I don''t humanize them) and your life changes, its hard to make everything fit.

This is exactly how I feel. When you have a discipline problem with a child, for example... you can talk to the child and try to rationalize WHY something is wrong and explain the punishments. When a pet is being unruly, you don''t have that option and it makes it so much more difficult to get results. Sorry to hear about your beagle but it sounds like you made a good choice about her new home.
1.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 2:13:00 PM
Author: divergrrl
Sorry I didn''t respond last night, I had to teach & then had a meeting at my son''s preschool.

Tons of great ideas. I have a great pet food/stuff store here in my ''hood & the owner is a friend, so I''m going to see if she can hook me up with some better litter & a better box.

Zoe Bartlett: I''ve heard the foil remedy is a good one, I think that will amuse my son to no end, I''ll let him put it up there. And one of my students in class last night told me that there are these sonic things you can get to keep them off the counters/sofas etc. Sounds more expensive than foil, so I''m going to try foil first. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Cellososweet: My reluctance to vacuum/sweep the litter was because some of it was contaminated with pee/poop. I fixed that buy purchasing a hand broom & dustpan just for her at the dollar store. I didn''t want to get poo germs on my vacuum that I run all over the house. KWIM? (I''m a poo germ phobe if you haven''t gotten that by now, esp. since it causes ringworm & my son has gotten despite my efforts to keep a very clean home. I''m ALWAYS CLEANING) I''m checking out this Booda system later today. It sounds interesting.

Haven; I can''t even wrap my head around what you do for your cat. Someone would have to haul me off to a looney bin. You are awesome. It really does help that you don''t have non-fur children--my kids exhaust me to no end, I went crosseyed reading what you have to do.

VR you won''t believe this, but my cat tracked the pine pellets just as bad too. I''m beginning to think she is in there throwing a litter party. I''m wondering if she doesn''t like her covered litter box any longer?

Oobiecoo: Thank you for saying that. We had to find a new home for our beagle in ''05 because she bit me, bit dh (drawing blood each time trying to get a piece of food she wasn''t supposed to have) and then my son learned to crawl & she tried to bite him just because he crawled past her. I went through beagle rescue & spent a long time interviewing families & found a nice lady with no kids. I felt horrible, but dog bites and kids don''t mix and once a dog bites, they are gone for me. I am not even interested in fixing it. She hated my son from the get go---would lay in her bed & glare & growl while I nursed him. Since I had her for 7 years prior, I think it was jealousy. But even in my finding her a new home, I made the new owner promise to bring her back to ME if she couldn''t keep her so I could make sure she was taken care of. I never heard from her again, so I think my diligent interviewing (and the fact that my dog fell in love with this lady) paid off.

But you are right..sometimes when you have animals (which are not like humans & I don''t humanize them) and your life changes, its hard to make everything fit.

Lorelei: I haven''t even thought of clipping her. Oh that''s gonna be fun! LOL. But I bet it would help a lot. I think I might call the mobile groomer. My dog needs a bath too. Yeah, I am the person who does it all here. Its no that my dh doesn''t help, he does what he can, but his job is the reason.

I use that L.O.C. cleanser from Quixtar/Amway (my bff sells it) I think they have an orange one & I''m almost
out. But a $8 concentrated bottle lasts me 3 years and I fill a spray bottle w/ that & water & it keeps my black granite gleaming. And its cost effective since when I first got these counters, I found myself going through 4 bottles of granite cleaner a month at $5 a pop.

Ok, so thanks for the advice folks! I have quite the shopping list now. And my kitty actually slept with me last night (she used to all the time until the kids came) which is really nice.

Anyway...my advice for pet owners or people who are considering children or remodeling kitchens.

Don''t buy black granite (thank god its tile and we got it on sale at home depot for $200--we won''t be sad when we redo it in a few years) if you have pets or kids. It looks sharp, but is hard to keep clean.

Also, don''t buy a black kitchen table (esp w/kids) or bar. (I did these things pre kids...stupid)

If you are pregnant...don''t get a new pet. Now is not the time. Wait till the kids are older. It''ll be fun for them to be a part of the choosing process anyway. You will still be 100% responsible for their care (the pets) but its gotta be easier when your kids are toilet trained. Otherwise your whole life revolves around sh@t. And it gets really tiring. And if you are like me you will be amazed at how expensive kids are (medical bills for healthy ones are ridiculous) fyi, yesterday -- I had to take my baby to the doc for a fever/rash and because it wasnt a well baby visit, and they did a strep test, it will run me $267. And I have what''s considered ''good'' insurance.

Its just crazy how it all adds up.

but I was much better at being Martha Stewart when I only had 1 kid. Now that I have 2 its a whole new ballgame. And since I''m point guard at home, its really tough, but I try not to complain to DH too much because he''s busting his butt for us right now & is an awesome man.

Anyway....gotta make my cat shopping list. Maybe I''ll get her some nip and new toy. That can''t hurt either.

Thanks everyone!
Sorry about all of this Diver. My cats have always been my sweet babies, but, when I had my son I remember thinking, "Whoa...You''re just a cat. Now I have a baby." I say this as a crazy kookoo cat lady - so please don''t feel guilty! You have been given some great advice and I have nothing else to offer other than sympathy. I do have a couple of questions, though....

You mentioned that poo causes ringworm...Really? I had no idea! I thought it was a fungus spread via skin to skin contact.

Also, LOC works for granite???? You are enlightening me today! I, too, am so over $5 per week on granite cleaner!!!!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms are parasites that can be found in your cat''s feces. Ringworm is not a worm, it is a fungus that can be passed to you from an infected cat''s skin or fur.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Quoted from the link I posted on the previous page -

"Ringworm is common in children, and although parents are quick to blame their pets for giving their kids this rash, the family dog or cat isn't always to blame.
So how do kids get ringworm?

Often, it is like many other infections they get and they simply get it from other kids at daycare or school or even from infected family members.

There are types of ringworm fungi that do infect pets and wild animals though, and although it is likely a rare source of infection for children, there are some that are even found in the soil, so there are many different sources for a child's ringworm infection.

You can even get ringworm by having contact with objects that have had contact with an infected person or pet, such as a brush, towel, or hat.

If your child has ringworm and you have a pet, especially a kitten or a puppy, then you should likely check your pet for a rash, or contact your veterinarian to make sure your pet isn't infected and the source of your child's infection. This can be important so that your child doesn't get reinfected over and over.

Finding the source of the ringworm infection also becomes more important if your child's ringworm keeps coming back.

And although ringworm is contagious, your child doesn't usually have to stay home from school or daycare while he is being treated for ringworm. If you want to be extra careful that he doesn't infect anyone else, you could cover the ringworm for the first 48 hours of treatment, since it does usually require direct contact to spread the infection. After 48 hours, a ringworm is usually not contagious anymore."

Guide since 2001Vincent Iannelli, M.D.
Pediatrics Guide

My BlogMy Forum

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 5:21:16 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms are parasites that can be found in your cat''s feces. Ringworm is not a worm, it is a fungus that can be passed to you from an infected cat''s skin or fur.

ditto. So it''s important to regularly worm your cat and get your children to wash their hands if they''ve been playing with kitty or near the litter.

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
I am going to try very hard to be nonjudgmental here. If your cat is pooping outside the litter box then that may be an indication something is wrong. Does she have to climb stairs to use the litter box? Throwing up, not grooming and failure to use the litter box are all signs something is medically wrong. She might have a UTI or some other type of infection. Do you have her on an indoor senior cat food? I almost want you to drop your cat off at a no-kill shelter because you have clear hostility toward her and she deserves to live out her golden years with someone who not only loves her but truly wants to care for her. Do you brush her? Pet her? Spend time with her? Cats are highly intelligent animals and can tell when they''re not wanted. However, she is 12 years old and rehoming her would be very difficult. I adopted my cat Gus (in my avatar) at 10 years old from a shelter and never regretted it. He''s worth the extra expense and work. I woul see if you can find anyone reliable to take her from you and if not try to suck up her remaining years. It doesn''t sound like she has many more and she deserves love and care because it''s not her fault you decided you''re not longer a cat person when she was 12 years old.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 9:39:35 AM
Author: disneybride
I am going to try very hard to be nonjudgmental here. If your cat is pooping outside the litter box then that may be an indication something is wrong. Does she have to climb stairs to use the litter box? Throwing up, not grooming and failure to use the litter box are all signs something is medically wrong. She might have a UTI or some other type of infection. Do you have her on an indoor senior cat food? I almost want you to drop your cat off at a no-kill shelter because you have clear hostility toward her and she deserves to live out her golden years with someone who not only loves her but truly wants to care for her. Do you brush her? Pet her? Spend time with her? Cats are highly intelligent animals and can tell when they're not wanted. However, she is 12 years old and rehoming her would be very difficult. I adopted my cat Gus (in my avatar) at 10 years old from a shelter and never regretted it. He's worth the extra expense and work. I woul see if you can find anyone reliable to take her from you and if not try to suck up her remaining years. It doesn't sound like she has many more and she deserves love and care because it's not her fault you decided you're not longer a cat person when she was 12 years old.
Really?

Divergrrl seems to be overwhelmed with what is clearly a difficult situation. She has asked for advice and seems to be willing to try some of the options giver her. I think the tone in your response is uncalled-for.

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
I am soo sorry Divergrrl, I was reading this post and I know that I am a little late but I totally feel you. I have two cats and I love them to death but sometimes they drive me crazy. With me it is scratching my sofa and floor. They totally know what they are doing. The moment they see me they get scared and run away (I used to have the energy to spray them with a water bottle every single time). I bought them a scratching post and even put catnip all over it. They use it but they also continue to scratch the floor and the sofa.

I actually have a Booda dome and my cats love it (well they haven''t told me personally but I haven''t had any problems). I keep one of those litter mats in the front of it and that actually helps. Unfortunately I can''t give any suggestions about the counters because when we moved into our apartment that was something I never allowed my pets to do. I would just say no and lightly push them off, they got the hint and haven''t tried it since. I hope that some of the other ladies suggestions work and you can have your sanity back.
1.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Divergrrl, I really feel for you. I''m sorry you are going through such a difficult time. You have been given great advice, so I don''t have any more too add. I just wanted to pop in and say I''m sorry!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Well Kitty update here. DH & I brainstormed ways to help her out & at the very least the litter box issue is better. I took the lid off her covered box & am just scooping it 2x a day. More work for me...but hell, I''m already taxed to the hilt, what''s a little more work. DH helps when he''s home.

Disneybride: I felt thoroughly judged by your comments. yes, I can clearly see you are a cat lover, and that''s fantastic. So am I. And yes I love my cat, I just don''t love the effin'' mess. Tell me, do you have small children at home? A dh who travels all week? No help? No? Don''t accuse me of not loving her. If I didn''t love her, I wouldn''t care. I''d toss her outside and say to hell with it. Which I can''t. I make her come to bed with me every night, I pull her on my lap when I watch TV. I feed her the best food money can buy (indoor --senior cat formula) and brush her fur.

I got her as a rescue when she was 4. She''s NEVER been a clean cat. She''s a bit of a bruiser, former outside cat who likes to fight other cats (it''s why we made her an indoor cat--the 2 times she escaped she tore up another cat). DH and I use to remark how weird it was that she refused to clean herself. I endured more bites/scratches bathing her before she finally started doing some of it herself, but she''s just an Oscar Madison of a cat. Its her personality. You know how some people are total slobs and other are meticulous neat freaks? Well....Simone (that''s her name) is a flat out SLOB.

And yes I do resent the hell out of the mess right now. And I''d be hard pressed to think any of you wouldn''t either if you were to walk a mile in my shoes. I''ve got 2 sets of diaper, German shepherd poo, and cat poo to contend with. I''m on my own caring for everyone all the time & I have a house to run keep clean & I don''t have the luxury of a cleaning service. (nor can I afford it with the costs of raising children, feeding animals, vet bills etc).

So DisneyBride, when you have a baby, come back to me and tell me how EASY it is to tolerate difficult situations from pets etc. then have your dh travel for a living, have a second kid and then come back and tell me how 1st in line your animals are. I am willing to bet they will be DISTANT second, no matter how much you care. I used to volunteer in shelters, rescue animals, etc...and then I had kids.

POW

seismic shift if there ever was one. Happens to the best of us.

Miranda: Yes, LOC...I bought a bottle almost 3 years ago for under $10. I put the recommended amount in a spray bottle, fill the rest with water and spritz my black granite with it & dry off with either a paper towel or microfiber cloth. Perfect shine & sparkle. It also works great on my stainless too...and my kitchen table, and my travertine floors. I got the special edition scented one (if you like a scent, order a lot....they don''t make Green Tea/Coriander anymore and its HEAVENLY) and it makes my kitchen smell great.

I also use it to clean my floors with & that damn bottle is still going strong. Amazing stuff.

VR Beauty, thanks for the support.

Museikchik: So you cat said "my goodness, I love the Booda!" LOL. They had a pink one at PetSmart & I was like "oooh!!!! PINK!!!!" and Steve just rolled his eyes at me & said no to a new litter box unless our new "system" didn''t work. Which is take off the lid & scoop a few times a day. I get those diaper disposal bags from the Dollar Store (100 baggies for $1) for the kids, so I put a box down there & dispose of the litter in there. I also put a thick bathmat under her box & it seems to be catching the litter better. I also like the clumping litter I found.

Too bad she doesn''t care for the auto litter box. Oh well.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully we can turn this around. Now if I can get her off my counters. I''ve tried to train her to no avail.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
diver, not even to do with the cat, but is there any way you can get any help-sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bee* but the answer is no. This is just what I have to do right now, everyone has to make sacrifices, and this is mine! :) Its tough, but I''m tougher. I''m just looking for ways (that don''t cost $$) to take the strain off me. Sometimes life is hard, and you just have to roll with it. My dh is awesome and does what he can.

Speaking of...since my day wouldn''t be complete without a potty reference.....I must go scrub a toilet.

14.gif

My 3year9month son just informed me that he will use the potty/wear undies if they are CURIOUS GEORGE underwear. Guess what are no longer made? Fab. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH..........
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
No prob! Just a bit worried for you-I know that you have to make sacrifices and that of course you will get through it, just take some time for yourself also!! Best of luck finding that underwear!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Diver- come on now...what types of responses did you think you could get when you say CAT LOVERS help me...I'm about to dump my cat off at a no kill...please.

Anyhoo..did you ever think about getting one of those self-cleaning litter boxes? I have never had one...

Speaking of poop....if you can't find the underwear, try iron ons from ebay...you won't be able to get a lot of wear from them I'm sure...but maybe iron them on a few pairs to get him started...

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
MMM: I tried one of those, she was scared of it. Otherwise that''s a great suggestion. And what did I expect? I expected people who have cats would read the first sentence where I stated first and foremost that I needed ADVICE AND ENCOURAGEMENT, and give me some great tips, helpful hints, what worked for them, support etc... so I would not feel the need to have to find a new home for my cat. Hey, it had gotten that bad.

Apparently its more fun for people to judge rather than help! But I really do appreciate all the kind souls who came on here to give me some great advice, and being cat lovers & all, they''ve seen a lot of it. It was so helpful for me to be able to vent, get my frustrations off my chest, share the list of ideas with my dh, and implement some of it. The litter box is definitely improved this week.

I''ve been on this forum a long time (2002) and those who know me, know that I care deeply about things & I don''t appreciate the judgements. I was asking for help.

Sad.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 15 year old kitty who suddenly stopped using the litterbox and started using the couch in the family room. I took the lid off the litterbox and she hasn''t used the couch since. She''s kind of a big cat, and I had read that if a cat can''t comfortably turn around in their box, they''ll stop using it. Plus, I have an evil cat that sneaks up on the sweet kitty while she''s in the box. I think she was freaked out by both of those things. You''ve already taken the lid off, so hopefully that helps take care of your problem!

My evil cat was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, which explains why he started leaving messes and throwing up around the house. A few weeks ago, hubby was out of town on business, evil cat kept leaving messes, the house stunk, and then I stepped barefoot into a pile he left on the dark colored master bathroom (a room that he gets in somehow although I keep the door shut) mat. I was at my wit''s end that night, and took him to the vet the next day. They diagnosed him within a week and he''s responding to his medicine, thankfully. After my barefoot incident, I totally understand your frustration. I truly didn''t want to banish him to the garage. And now that his condition is stabilizing, he''s not so evil. (I love my evil cat. However, I have a whole list of people who won''t touch him!)

Good luck! I hope your litterbox improvement continues!!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear the litterbox system is working a little better now! Hang in there!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad things are getting a little easier Diver! As to the counters, maybe try the citrus smelling cleaner or spray, cats usually hate the smell so that could put her off. Also try the tin foil and if that doesn't work, the double sided tape on the countertops.

I hope you can get the CG underoos for your son!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's fun for people to judge....but that's what happens on an online forum...and that's what happens when you have some die hard cat freaks like me!
...but I'm glad that things are getting better...scooping the box2X a day must be quite fun..not.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Diver- I just caught up on this thread. It sounds like you''ve been given some great suggestions. One of my kitties has trouble with hairballs, my vet gave me some fiber capsules that I sprinkle on their food. It''s called Vetafiber and the recommendation is to use it once a day but I don''t even use that much and it''s helped.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results