shape
carat
color
clarity

cat anethesia

luke429

Rough_Rock
Hello we took our cat in for a tooth pulling the vet said he would have to put the cat under so they did while the vet was in there they found out that the cat did not need a tooth pulled only cleaned this happened a 10:30am this morning and now our cat cannot even stand up she tries but just falls over on her side is this normal please help worried

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
Your best bet is to call the vet.

Most of the time, vets will opt to keep animals that have been under general for much longer than just a few hours. They can be shaky and their legs unsteady (at least from my experience with dogs and general).

But do call the vet with your concerns, so you can get some expert advice. If you don't trust this vet or just want a second opinion, call a different vet as well. Vets should have emergency lines even if their office is technically closed for the day.

Best of wishes to you and your cat.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Duncan has had ... four oral surgeries and hmm... yeah by evening he was sleepy and slightly "Oooooooooh lookit the pretty colors mama!" but that's it. I'd be concerned too. We usually left him at the vet to sleep off the worst of it for several hours so they would monitor him and tell us when he was safe to go home (we've always been a multi-pet household and I didn't want him vulnerable and at home too early).

Cats are like people: the individual body chemistry of your cat could be really sensitive.

I'd call your vet or a GOOD (YELP it) emergency vet.

((HUGS)) to you both.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd definitely call the vet as that is quite unusual. With modern anaesthetics they should've up on their feet quickly.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Did you call the vet? When I took my girls in to be spayed, even though the surgery was over by 11am, the vet wanted to keep them overnight to keep an eye on their response to the anethesia and I did not pick them up until the next morning at 8am. When I got them homek, they were their usual perky kitten like selves running all over. You would never know they had major surgery.

I hope you cat is feeling better today.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I hope this wear off, but like Gypsy said, each animal has a different reaction to anaesthetic.

When we first starting fostering cats and having litters of kittens sterilized simultaneously, the vet would have us leave them there for hours and hours, nearly all day. But as time has gone by and we've gained experience, we will often take them home shortly after they awake. We stay with them for the following hours to monitor them and have not had any issues yet - the vet is only around the corner in case of an emergency. I've never had one continue to act 'fuzzy' like you're describing for more than a couple of hours, with the longest being around 4. I hope everything is back to normal by now; I'd love to hear how she's doing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results