shape
carat
color
clarity

Cast Your Vote - Which Sapphire?

jbell14

Rough_Rock
Hi again!

Thanks to all the awesome PSer advice I received in narrowing down my anniversary ring plan this weekend, I decided to go for having my jeweler build a WG double claw prong three stone ring using two .60 ct RB diamonds for side stones (my old studs).

He’s sourcing some stones for me to see next week, but bc I can’t help myself, I also just ordered these two to see in person, both have their GIA certs and arriving tomorrow.

Can I get some feedback on which of these is the best choice? I’ll note I do like deep colored sapphires. My mom and grandma both wore sapphires and I grew up loving the darker stones. Also, I wear a size 8 and have long fingers, so coverage is important, but think these are both within that range size-wise.

They’re the same price, both natural and heated (which doesn’t bother me for sapphires) and this is the vendor showing them side-by-side.

Emerald cut: 8.71x6.63mm, 3.16ct
Oval cut: 9.83x8.50, 3.52ct

Thanks!

Stone Shot #1.JPG Stone Shot #2.JPG

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Top one appeals more to me. The bottom one will probably look black in most lights.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The EC has this rich lush velvety quality which captures my eyes more than the other sapphire.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
EC by a large margin. It has a much richer color. The bottom one is very dark to me (even though I see you like dark sapphires).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EC by far. Not even close. The bottom one is much darker and doesn't have the "velvety" look.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Color is king. EC, for sure.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the emerald cut!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Love the cut and vibrant deep blue of the emerald cut. Will be stunning in a ring.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EC by a mile

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I like the emerald cut! Looks a lot brighter, but still dark if that makes sense lol!

Both are beautiful =)2

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’d rather like rounds next to the EC over the oval, since you are going for a three stone.
As for the color - as long as the oval isn’t tilted to its unfair disadvantage, I pick the EC as well. Since you say finger coverage between the two isn’t an issue.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The emerald cut by a mile! It glows like blue velvet!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Emerald as well

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Emerald. By a factor of 10.

jbell14

Rough_Rock
Wow! It sounds like everyone is completely in agreement on the EC, which doesn’t surprise me as it was the color that grabbed me on that one too.

They both are being delivered today, so I’ll post my own comparison pictures in a bit when I get to see them IRL.

Eeek!! Stalking the mail...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the EC as its colour is far nicer than the oval which is too dark for my liking.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I adore the velvety blue color of the EC, and I think it would create an amazing contrast with round side stones. :love: So one more vote for that gorgeous EC sapphire!!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
EC, hands down. I love the saturated blue.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Velvety emerald cut.
Totally no dilemma.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Emerald cut from those pics, unless the difference in price is 10:1. I'd think about the oval if it was less than $1k.

jbell14

Rough_Rock
Voce - Price is about a $50 dollar difference, so essentially the same for both.

jbell14

Rough_Rock
Okay folks! They arrives and I'm going to throw some pictures at you to confirm the choice...it's been such an interesting selection process.

First of all, Ivy & Rose has been tremendous to work with. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

So, I'll start with my not accurate color sketches for how I pick new jewelry. It's definitely kindergarten style, but I sketch them out to size for all stones, cut them out and tape them to my finger...LOL. Although my blue marker was apparently representing the color of a 50k sapphire...which these are NOT.

Also posting a poorly taken photo of my e-ring, which I had reset for the *gulp* third time last year, but am finally happy with. It's a 2.7ct RB with a band worn my my mom. Prettier in person and in better lighting. It has a nice spready table, which I really like. Posting bc I'll wear the sapphire on my other hand mostly, so they will need to play nice together.

Next post will have the new IRL stone pics...

IMG_7554.jpg IMG_7561.jpg

jbell14

Rough_Rock
Okay, now for the two I&R GIA sapphires.

Tried to capture them in nice light, but fought my own fingerprints over and over. Nobody warned me how difficult it is to photograph sapphires!

The oval is a lovely size at 3.5+ ct, but both my husband and I agree with all of you that you can't beat the color of the 3.16 ct EC.

Both are cut beautifully in person and mostly transparent though coming up cloudy in the pictures.

All said, I'm still 99.9% on the EC, but if these change anyone's mind...or if you think there's something to be concerned about either one, LMK.

Thanks, experts & CS lovers!

IMG_7510.jpg
IMG_7537.jpg
IMG_7516.jpg
IMG_7522.jpg
IMG_7540.jpg

IMG_7547 (1).jpg IMG_7552.jpg
(paper ring pictures show center stones upside down, just did these for perspective with size of my sides since they are at the jewelers waiting for this stone...)
IMG_7558cr.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7536.jpg
    IMG_7536.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7547.jpg
    IMG_7547.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 12

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still prefer the EC.

DK :))

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
EC all the way. I also think it looks beautiful with the round sides, and is a nice (complimentary) contrast to your e-ring. It is a lovely stone!

clementinemm

Rough_Rock
I like the oval cut more. Both are very beautiful though!

ean

Brilliant_Rock
EC and following because this is very similar to my project! Goodluck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results