shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier 1895 Pave Engagement Ring

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am looking to sell my Cartier 1895 Pave Engagement Ring. I am not in a hurry so hoping to get a good price for it but I have no idea where to sell it. Any ideas? I looked at ebay but I see posts for rings on there for months now and nobody ever bids on them. It is really beautiful and sparkly. The center stone is close to 2 carats with 8 side stones on each side. There seems to be lots of people looking for this ring but I have no idea how to be in contact with them. It is supposed to be a very popular brand and design but it seems so difficult to get rid of it since it is so expensive.
Thanks for any advice.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would contact a few reputable jewelers in your area, also estate jewelers as well.
jewelsbyericagrace.com does consignment jewelry.
goodoldgold.com would also consign a ring.
You could also contact peter suchy jewelers in Connecticut, they have a strong ebay presence as well.

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
is it safe to put it on consignment? i heard if your ring leaves your sight, someone can easily switch diamonds on it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
While I understand your concern, the vendors mentioned above our reputable PS vendors and you should have no problem going through either of them. There is a reason they have a presense on PS and that is because they have proved themselves time and time again.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1309392503|2958496 said:
While I understand your concern, the vendors mentioned above our reputable PS vendors and you should have no problem going through either of them. There is a reason they have a presense on PS and that is because they have proved themselves time and time again.

ditto. Most jewelers don't want to risk losing their business and jail just to switch out your stone.

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
one of them is not accepting modern just vintage ones coz they have too much inventory.
i've emailed the other two. waiting for response.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of the vendors listed are very quick to reply to emails. IF you don't hear something today, I'd call. Ask for Jon if you are calling GOG and Bill if you are trying Pearlmans. Assuming JBEG is the one not excepting modern stones/rings b/c they are primarily Antique jewelers.

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
I am waiting to hear back from them regarding a quote. Someone contacted me about paying half of what the ring is worth. Why does Cartier or any other jeweler give appraisals for a certain amount and say that the value has increased since I got it but nobody is willing to buy it at a decent amount? If this is the case then investing in jewelry is not such a good idea.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
verybearycute|1310078021|2964175 said:
I am waiting to hear back from them regarding a quote. Someone contacted me about paying half of what the ring is worth. Why does Cartier or any other jeweler give appraisals for a certain amount and say that the value has increased since I got it but nobody is willing to buy it at a decent amount? If this is the case then investing in jewelry is not such a good idea.

The appraisals are typically for insurance purposes (i.e. getting your ring replaced if it's stolen or lost).

Engagement rings are usually not a good investment, which is why so many PSers buy their rings from vendors with good upgrade policies.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dupuis Auction has just had their spring auction--again in fall. Signed Pieces sell rather well. Sothby's?

Oakgem.com might be an option.

First Dibs has a myraid of vendors who advertize there--why don't you check out the jewelery section and find someone who would be willing to take your ring? Worth a shot.

cheers--Sharon

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You can also try a certain jewlry classified site. I don't think I can post it here.

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

Another question. How come the GIA cert only mentions the center stone. There are 16 side stones to this ring Would be nice to have that fact and their carat weight on an official document also.

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
If engagement rings are not a good investment, I wonder if diamond necklaces are.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

I think in general, jewelry is not a good investment, unless it is really rare, e.g. it has the Hope diamond in it or something.

It is not uncommon to buy/sell used jewelry at 50~70% of the original purchase price. It could even go lower than 50%. I learned this the hard way.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why didn't you buy your Cartier ring used?

You probably went to the store, got the special treatment, knew for CERTAIN the stone hadn't been switched out between the store and production, knew for sure it wasn't a knock-off, knew no one had worn YOUR Cartier before, knew it wasn't being sold because someone got married with it and then subsequently divorced... Those are all big deals for most people. I'd absolutely consider buying a used Cartier ring, but it had better be significantly cheaper than it will cost me to go down the street to Cartier, or I am just going to do that and get all the benefits you did. So, that's where the gap comes from: what Cartier would charge you to replace it, and what someone like me would pay for it.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
verybearycute|1310140939|2964713 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

Another question. How come the GIA cert only mentions the center stone. There are 16 side stones to this ring Would be nice to have that fact and their carat weight on an official document also.

GIA only grades loose diamonds. They graded the stone and then Cartier set it in your setting.

And no, diamonds purchased retail are not a good investment. Even if you buy them from a store with a 100% upgrade policy, you will only get credit for the amount that you paid, not the amount that the stone is worth at the time you upgrade.

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
MissStepcut|1310143631|2964752 said:
You probably went to the store, got the special treatment, knew for CERTAIN the stone hadn't been switched out between the store and production, knew for sure it wasn't a knock-off, knew no one had worn YOUR Cartier before, knew it wasn't being sold because someone got married with it and then subsequently divorced... Those are all big deals for most people. I'd absolutely consider buying a used Cartier ring, but it had better be significantly cheaper than it will cost me to go down the street to Cartier, or I am just going to do that and get all the benefits you did. So, that's where the gap comes from: what Cartier would charge you to replace it, and what someone like me would pay for it.

Unfortunately, my fiance did not know you could buy it used and did not know where to buy it used.
Where can you buy a used Cartier ring? So far I have not seen any 1895 settings on the the websites that have been suggested on this thread.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
verybearycute|1310146019|2964785 said:
Unfortunately, my fiance did not know you could buy it used and did not know where to buy it used.
Where can you buy a used Cartier ring? So far I have not seen any 1895 settings on the the websites that have been suggested on this thread.

You are right .. they don't come by as often as a T&CO Solitaire. All you need is that one buyer.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
verybearycute|1310146019|2964785 said:
MissStepcut|1310143631|2964752 said:

DoverJewelry had one recently. I think they were charging around 40% off retail.

verybearycute

Rough_Rock
Looking through the ebay listings for rings, I saw a nice ring. It is the Hearts on Fire Delight Lady Di. I saw the square one on ebay but on their website they have a round version of it which I like better.

If I am able to sell my ring, I might get that one. Do you think I can find a replica or a used one? Or since this is less expensive, do people even make replicas?

Lula

Ideal_Rock

So true. Diamond prices are going up at the retail level, but there has not been a corresponding increase in what sellers offer consumers for their jewelry.

mraloha

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Do you still have your ring? I am in the market for a 1895 paved. I'm actually about to pull the trigger on one here locally. Can you private message me? I'm not sure if we're allowed to do this on this forum. I'm new here on this site. I'm located in Honolulu.

Thanks,
Tim

dummie12

Rough_Rock
HI, if you still have the cartier 1895 pave engagement ring I would be very interested in buying it. How should I get in contact with you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results