shape
carat
color
clarity

Carmel Visit ... Bauble Yums!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
warning...long rambling post below!

we went into carmel today, we go about 2-3 times a year...the last time we were there was new years day and this jewelry store i visit when we go was closed, i was soooooo sad. well we went today and i was so happy to see they were open. they deal in many vintage and consignment type pieces along with some pieces they design themselves or have commissioned for them. some of these rings are big big bucks and they have a bunch of them! so it's SOOOO fun to go in there and try things on. they have SO much eye-candy it's mind boggling. and i never even make it past the 2 diamond counters. they have tons of gemstone rings and jewels, and things like watches and other things as well.

so today we went in there (my sister and i) and we actually ended up being helped by the owner's son, josh, who spent about 25 minutes with us even though it was obvious we were just browsing. we kept up a steady stream of conversation and he was pretty knowledgeable which was a nice change from the typical B&M jewelers who seem confused by what they sell. he was a lot of fun to talk to because he and i seemed to like many of the same pieces, and he was pointing out things on rings he was showing me that i would notice which i appreciated. like fine details on the settings and things like that. at one point he said have you gone into the tiffany's here yet? i said no i haven't..i'm not really that interested in tiffany's items...i like items like this that have more personality in them (as i drooled over a 4c OEC in an amazing halo set with baguette sapphires and diamonds that he said was the actual ring his mother wore for 15 years!!)...he said 'now you are saying everything i like to hear, i will have to give you a really good deal on something today...'...i was like I WISH buddy..I am just window shopping!!
3.gif

the first ring i tried on that caught my eye was this amazing art deco ring that reminded me of things i had seen on faycullen's website, it had a 1c RB and it was an octagon halo which was just divine, it was one of those halos that is set apart from the stone so there is a tiny space between the halo and the stone bezel. just divine and only $9k! not so bad. the setting was SO delicate i felt like i could snap it in two with my fingers. i am pretty grateful for my ole sturdy setting with lots of metal...hehe but it's fun to dream about a delicate wrapped setting.

THEN, i tried on a 3.6c I VS2 that was $79k. yikes! it was a spready cut with what appeared to be super thin arrows. but man it was pretty. it was set in a super simple 4 prong basket with a flared head and a thin band, maybe 2mm or less, knife edge. so of course the stone looked even bigger! then i tried on a 3c K VVS1 which was $39k and faced up pretty darn white! he told me that his friend was getting engaged, some high powered investment broker type and that he sent him that ring to consider...his friend said he didn't like the color and wanted something like a G. josh said he told him he'd pay WAY more for a higher color, he said his friend didn't care and he bought a $75k G stone. i said... 'well i'm so glad i don't have those kind of color issues, i couldn't afford it!'
2.gif
oh and when i had the 3.6 on all i could think of was 'holy crap kristy darling, i can't believe that you felt like this size stone had shrinkage on a size 3 finger!!!!'...
9.gif

i tried on a hodgepodge of other things, then he pulled out a stone and said look at this! it was a 10c cushion! set in a 4 prong clawish type setting, solitaire, super simple, man was that thing HUGE. funny thing was it was a J and in that cut and that size, the color was definitely visible. it looked more like what i would *imagine* something like a W-X would look like, maybe a little lighter. but pretty colored. it was an absolute monster.

they had some AMAZING cushion cut stones with big chunky facets....yum. of course, i thought of mrs salvo and her original search for the perfect cushion. he said that cushions were really popular right now. they had not one asscher in the store! i was surprised! he said that those were really popular a few years ago which shocked me given how popular they are on PS right now. are we falling behind the 'trend'? hehe. i was kind of bummed as i was looking fwd to seeing what sort of asschers these guys were carrying, esp if they had any vintage ones, and esp since asschers lend themselves to these old fashioned or art deco type settings, was sad not to see at least ONE.

the thing that struck me time and time again as i tried these rings on, and i have noticed this in the past and i think i keep forgetting...is that their settings are just plain amazing. they run the gamut from simple 4 or 6 prong solitaire with that scoop flared head so a ring can sit flush to ritani like 4 prong basket settings with pave to the super elaborate octagon halo or my personal favorite, a delicate 3 stone that had tiny diamonds set into each of the heads along with some very fine looking filigree....that setting was just stunning. if i did a 3 stone i was thinking that one would be just amazing. but i couldn't wear a w-ring with it at all.

we talked a bit about the settings and he said that they had a bunch of things designed by someone called Lucy Campbell in the UK? anyway her pieces were beautiful. the best part? you can buy just the setting from them...they don't even care if they set the stones there or if you have your jeweler do it. talk about an untapped resource....esp for settings with a bit of a vintage flair! i left that store with visions of all sorts of future potential settings floating in my head. and they seemed pretty affordable too. GOSH. poor greg!!! i could have easily spent another hour in the store trying things on but greg was waiting and i felt bad for eating up josh's time...though he was very sweet and said that it was fun to work at that kind of gig when they had customers as nice as us...AWWW.
2.gif
greg said 'oh i see he had his sales face on'...HA HA.
9.gif

anyway i just had to share with PS'ers....i was oozing with happiness as we left the store and of course talked off Greg's ear for 20 minutes later but he doesn't GET IT of course. it was such a jewelry-gasm. hehee. and SORRY i don't have any pictures, but the pictures in my mind are priceless. esp of that 3.6c on my greedy, wanting little paw!!!!
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2006 3:03:40 AM
Author:Mara

anyway i just had to share with PS''ers....i was oozing with happiness as we left the store and of course talked off Greg''s ear for 20 minutes later but he doesn''t GET IT of course. it was such a jewelry-gasm. hehee. and SORRY i don''t have any pictures, but the pictures in my mind are priceless. esp of that 3.6c on my greedy, wanting little paw!!!!
30.gif
hate to say it but, this time i might be wrong
39.gif
about your next upgrade.a 3+ ct will be on your finger sooner than i thought. i was predicting within the next 2 yrs.
5.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ok LONG rambling post about beautiful baubles and no pictures?

You sure know how to torture us
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara, that sounds like an absolute blast. I just adore estate/vintage jewelry b/e the settings are normally so detailed and amazing. that''s what sucked me in with my original e-ring. it was a vintage setting with the OEC stone. it ended up not being in such great shape which is why I reset into the solitaire before my wedding. Something about stones and rings from that era seem so romantic to me and the current settings though gorgeous don''t have that same feel. anyway, sounds like you and your sister had a blast. the poor future hubby of your sister. she''s already being exposed to the good stuff, he doesn''t stand a chance
2.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a very interesting trip to the jewellers. Did he comment any about your ideal cut whiteflash diamond?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like lots of fun Mara!!!

Do your sisters both share your passion for diamonds?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sounds like a fun visit to the shop--notwithstanding Carmel itself is so wonderful......bet they had some great dangly earrings....

I am off to try on a 10ct. Assher (+2 carat side traps ) and 5 carat Princess (also + 2 sides) on Tuesday after the long w/e....my fav. haunt is having a summer blowout; I can barely squeek
3.gif
it in before we fly away....

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, was it the store Fourtane? If so I LOVE that place!!!

My hubby''s grandparents live in Carmel by the Sea and we visit them every few years. The first chance we get I break away from the family and head straight for that store! My husband bought a Rolex there (pre-owned and for about 1/2 of what a new one costs) several years ago, and when we were there in March I tried on what I think is that exact 3 ct K. It was a bit "warm" for me, but it was HUGE! And their awesome selection of art deco pieces makes me drool every time!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carmel and vintage jewelry what could be better?? I adore antique jewelry. You and your sister must have had the best time ever!!! I also adore the older cuts, OMC, OEC''S and Cushions. YUMMO.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep DJ...it was Fourtane..i know they are such a jewel in the rough!! i honestly don't go into many jewelry stores typically, because what's the real fun in trying on like the one 3c stone they have in the store or listening to their typical spiel on diamonds. but this place, they cater to all sorts of clientele and their inventory is so VAST..it's like being a kid in the candy shop, your eyes just can't get enough!! and they are really very friendly which i love, because i never look like i am going to drop 39k or 79k on a ring, but they don't seem to care. whenever we go to carmel i am giddy for about half an hour thinking about visiting the store.

funny but after josh's comment re: us being nice customers, he then went onto say something like you wouldn't believe some of the people we get in here kind of thing, then i thought wow yes i'm sure that some very well-off customers with that 79k to spend on a 3.6c may not always have the best attitude towards those they perceive there to serve them. of course not everyone is like that....but i'm sure catering to that kind of clientele you can see all types. especially in carmel!!

mrs salvo, the settings ARE super delicate, the first octagon halo i tried on was so paper thin but well-made. some of their settings are actual vintage, some stones are vintage, some stones are new round brilliants and some settings are new 'vintage' style designs. like replicas of old stuff. but very well made. this 3 stone i tried on, the side work filigree and small diamonds were so lovely, so delicate. on one hand i love the thought of owning a setting like that but on the other hand, my rings are SO sturdy, i was telling greg, i might have serious issues if i decided to get something delicate in the future, since i don't know if it could withstand my brute clumsiness. heheee. esp being so used to having sturdy pieces. but the delicate ones sure are fun to try on!!!

pyramid..funny when i was saying how fab the 3c and 3.6c looked on me. he said 'well what you have there isn't bad!!' as in joking and i said 'no you are right it's not!!' i did notice it was not slouch in those jewelry lights so that was good. but he didn't really get a chance to look at it...and i didn't tell him it was an ideal cut stone from online or anything. i almost forgot to put my own bauble back on before leaving the store, haha.

heather, no not really, i am the only diamond nut in the family, but i was showing my youngest sister, who was with me, all the different characteristics of the stones...like how an OEC was different from a modern RB, the thick girdle on some of those old stones, how the cushions had the big chunky facets as compared to a RB...the culet in the OEC...etc. she said she really loved the look of one of the OEC's as her fave!! i thought that was pretty interesting.

lol DF..as if!! i was actually really happy to see that my stone was no slouch either in size next to those other stones...sure the 3c and 3.6 were huge but mine was really big too. hehee. instead i was thinking, hmmmm new setting?
5.gif
much more affordable.

dee jay, what about the 3.6 I VS2 for your stone??? heheh.

lol sorry jade, i know, no eye candy. also their website is not really all that up to date with stuff so i doubt anything i actually saw would be on there. they are probably a mostly retail store, what with all the hungry walk-in clientele in carmel. like dee jay!!
9.gif

i know kaleigh, it was divine. anyway i definitely walked out thinking i would love to buy from them at some point. they had some lovely earrings and pendants, beautiful filigree delicate looking items. just all types of stuff. i told him i love all those awesome pieces but i had no idea where i'd wear that kind of thing. hehee. but then i said well there's nothing wrong with COLLECTING..
12.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and here is a link to their seemingly-not-updated website...heehe. but it DOES have eye-candy!

http://www.fourtane.com/

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2006 11:23:43 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Sounds like a fun visit to the shop--notwithstanding Carmel itself is so wonderful......bet they had some great dangly earrings....

I am off to try on a 10ct. Assher (+2 carat side traps ) and 5 carat Princess (also + 2 sides) on Tuesday after the long w/e....my fav. haunt is having a summer blowout; I can barely squeek
3.gif

cheers--Sharon
Have fun Sharon!!! Perhaps you might find something special to sparkle on your suntanned finger in Hawaii!!!!
emhot.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2006 7:03:53 PM
Author: hlmr

Date: 7/2/2006 11:23:43 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

3.gif

cheers--Sharon
Have fun Sharon!!! Perhaps you might find something special to sparkle on your suntanned finger in Hawaii!!!!
emhot.gif
Oh yeah! Sharon you must report back on the 10c asscher...gosh I can''t even imagine!!
30.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Next time I go I have got to visit these cute little shops instead of letting my DH drag me to a cafe only to bolt afterwards.
20.gif
I wanna see pretties!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MARA! Oh thank you! I'm coming out to CA at the end of the month and was trying to decide where I wanted to go for a day trip... either to Napa, Carmel, or Marin... and you have totally decided it for me! I am SO hitting that store. ... I admire your restraint.... or the the website for the store...

I'm feeling positively GLEEFUL!

ETA: Lucy Campbell is apparently a very common name... google was useless.
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2006 12:37:38 AM
Author: Gypsy
MARA! Oh thank you! I'm coming out to CA at the end of the month and was trying to decide where I wanted to go for a day trip... either to Napa, Carmel, or Marin... and you have totally decided it for me! I am SO hitting that store. ... I admire your restraint.... or the the website for the store...

I'm feeling positively GLEEFUL!

5.gif
Carmel hands down. It's such a great spot, and now you have extra sparklies calling your name. My husband and I went ages ago. Fell in love with it. He's been back without me to play golf. Story of me life.
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2006 12:49:46 AM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 7/4/2006 12:37:38 AM
Author: Gypsy
MARA! Oh thank you! I''m coming out to CA at the end of the month and was trying to decide where I wanted to go for a day trip... either to Napa, Carmel, or Marin... and you have totally decided it for me! I am SO hitting that store. ... I admire your restraint.... or the the website for the store...

I''m feeling positively GLEEFUL!

5.gif
Carmel hands down. It''s such a great spot, and now you have extra sparklies calling your name. My husband and I went ages ago. Fell in love with it. He''s been back without me to play golf. Story of me life.
20.gif

See all of them have such fond memories for me... I lived in the bay area for 11 years... formative years... and my mother loves taking day trips so we''ve been to all of them often. But last time I was there we went to Napa, and the time before Marin... so it''s TIME to visit Carmel. AND if DF come along-- well. He hasn''t been to Carmel yet.
2.gif
(Not gonna mention the bling if he comes out to Cali with me).

LOL at the hubby golf in Carmel. I love it too. Mmm... such good seafood down there too. And the antique stores...my mom''s favorite. And now superior bling! Oh yeah. I''m regretting only going down for 7 days now. And three of those will be blocked off. Monday the 31st looks promising for a day trip though. Will have to mention it to mom when she gets back to Cali.

Kaleigh... you should totally get out there again. I love Cali though. Miss it so much.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Mara:

I know exactly of the store you speak of. I used to live in Monterey and used to go down to Carmel all the time. I used to love to browse this store with my friends. Their pieces are exquisite and their sales staff knowlegeable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results