shape
carat
color
clarity

Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hello! Everyone on here is so helpful in terms of diamonds and shopping so I thought I would post this to see if anyone had any good advice for me. Here''s my story. I was a kindergarten teacher in a private school for 4 years. My husband and I got married and his career started taking off. With his particular company, the way to move up is to keep transferring when they ask you to. So in the 5 years we have been married, we have moved 4 times and are about to move for the 5th time later this year. Sooo, after I had to quit my teaching job in the middle of the year this last time, I decided to stay at home with my 3 year old son while I decided what to do. I don''t think I want to go back to teaching until my husband gets to the corporate office and we feel more settled so I don''t have to leave in the middle of the year again....it is too hard on the little ones to disrupt their lives like that, they took it really hard. Anyway, my hobbies are diamonds (of course) and cooking. I thought about maybe going to work for a jewelry store...anyone else have anymore thoughts or ideas for me? Thanks ladies:)
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about doing private short-term tutoring?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who does tutoring online from home since she use to be a school teacher and wanted to stay home with her little ones.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for the advice....maybe I will try that when we are settled in!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to suggest a teaching related job but what about substitute teaching? You don''t have to worry about disrupting any lives if you have to move but still get some of the joy of teaching.
Otherwise, you could try temp agencies for something in the meantime.

Hope you find something that suits your needs!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, Steph! I am the queen of short-term, part-time jobs, so here are some ideas for you:

Teaching-Related:

- What about a Saturday enrichment program for gifted kids? I''m sure your local university''s education school has one. I''ve taught in Northwestern University''s Saturday gifted program for years and I LOVE it. I actually taught kindergartners last term (and I teach high school full-time, so it was a change.) The money is pretty good (I think about $50/hour counting teaching time only) and it''s only a part-time, short-term commitment.

- Do you have a master''s in education? If so, see if your local university has any adjunct positions open teaching early ed classes. Good pay, and you only have to commit to a semester at a time. Check out your local community college, too. I used to teach community college and LOVED it, I''m actually thinking about going back . . .

Non-Teaching-Related:

- Are you into fitness? What about becoming a certified personal trainer or group exercise instructor? I did both for years when I was in grad school and when I was first working full-time. The money is great, it''s flexible, and it''s a lot of fun. (I also taught swimming--if you''re a swimmer I''m sure you can find a program that needs good instructors.)

- My little sister works for a caterer every summer and loves it. Very flexible hours, decent pay.

- One of my colleagues has made a part-time job of chaperoning bar and bat mitzvot (a bar mitzvah is a rite of passage for 13-year-old Jewish boys, "bat" is the girl''s version) on the weekends. I think she earns a couple hundred dollars to go to the parties and make sure the kids don''t tear the place apart. It sounds like an easy enough job to me.

- I worked for a jewelry store during college. I think they paid $10 and hour plus commission. It was so much fun to try on all the jewelry and play around with everything. If you have a reputable jeweler in the area you could probably learn a lot from working there.

- You could always go to a temp agency and get some good work, too.

Good luck on your job search!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...I definitely recommend working for a jewelry store...that''s what I do now! LOL! What does your DH do, Steph? Almost sounds like he''s in retail? Just curious. Good luck to you!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Wow, guys thanks for all the recommendations. Those are all great ideas! Yes, Monarch....he does work as an operations manager for a retail company. It is a great company and lots of opportunity to move up, but it keeps us on the move about every year until he works his way to the corporate office soon. Hope everyone has a great week!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results