shape
carat
color
clarity

Carat or Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
So I just recently started doing my research and gathering information on this whole engagement ring thing. My biggest question is trying to balance between cut and carats. The only real concern my gf has is that it''s a squarish shape, so either cushion or radiant or the like. I came across two choices on goodoldgold.com for example and can''t decide which would be better.

3.02 G VS2 Cushion or 2.44 F VS2 Jubilee

They are both pretty simliar in price but I''d like to get some opionins on which characteristic I should be concentrating more of my money on. All the upclose shots, I can tell that the Jubilee is cut much better, but are those things that will even really be noticeable on a day to day basis to people that want to just "check out" the ring?

And thanks to everyone on this site for all the great information you''ve been providing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 9:24:47 AM
Author:lowphat
So I just recently started doing my research and gathering information on this whole engagement ring thing. My biggest question is trying to balance between cut and carats. The only real concern my gf has is that it's a squarish shape, so either cushion or radiant or the like. I came across two choices on goodoldgold.com for example and can't decide which would be better.

They are both pretty simliar in price but I'd like to get some opionins on which characteristic I should be concentrating more of my money on. All the upclose shots, I can tell that the Jubilee is cut much better, but are those things that will even really be noticeable on a day to day basis to people that want to just 'check out' the ring?

And thanks to everyone on this site for all the great information you've been providing.
Welcome!

Thank YOU for the very kind words, some of us have been dedicated to trying to help other consumers here for years so your praise is much appreciated!

As to the diamonds they are both quite different, so it is a case of personal preference and budget. Jon from GOG has a superb eye so I would contact him to discuss each diamond, he might be able to make a comparison video for you if he has time.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 9:28:16 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/22/2009 9:24:47 AM
Author:lowphat
So I just recently started doing my research and gathering information on this whole engagement ring thing. My biggest question is trying to balance between cut and carats. The only real concern my gf has is that it''s a squarish shape, so either cushion or radiant or the like. I came across two choices on goodoldgold.com for example and can''t decide which would be better.

They are both pretty simliar in price but I''d like to get some opionins on which characteristic I should be concentrating more of my money on. All the upclose shots, I can tell that the Jubilee is cut much better, but are those things that will even really be noticeable on a day to day basis to people that want to just ''check out'' the ring?

And thanks to everyone on this site for all the great information you''ve been providing.
Welcome!

Thank YOU for the very kind words, some of us have been dedicated to trying to help other consumers here for years so your praise is much appreciated!

As to the diamonds they are both quite different, so it is a case of personal preference and budget. Jon from GOG has a superb eye so I would contact him to discuss each diamond, he might be able to make a comparison video for you if he has time.
Like Lorelei said, they''re different and will have different looks.
If you''re not in the nyc area and can''t get to the store, I''d ask to make a video with the two side by side for comparision to help decide.

dia24

Rough_Rock
Like the others have stated, Jon really does not seem to mind making videos for customers so they can see the comparison. I recently purchased a Jubilee and I gotta say you won''t be disappointed if you go that route. The brilliance and sparkle from the Jubilee is simply amazing! Jon made a comparison video for me regarding different color grades and to compare the Jubilee to a couple princess cuts. It really helped make the decision easier and he was great to work with. Good Luck!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Be careful about thinking that the Jubilee is cut "better." Honestly, they''re just cut differently. For my personal taste, I like the cushion better. The jubilee is definitely cut to be as sparkly as possible, I still can''t stop loving the chunkier look of cushions.

I agree though, definitely ask for a comparison video. Especially when you''re looking at stone in that range it''s a wise idea to see it in person or at least in a video comparison. And then just go with your gut, whichever stone strikes you as being the one.

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies all. I''ll probably try to make a trip out to gog or try to get a video from them!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Lucky girl they both look pretty spectacular
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Hummm, two very, very lovely diamonds. Your GF will be head over heels. So, if the two diamonds are relatively equal in terms of quality, and one does not absolutely GRAB you more than the other, then, the task at hand is matching diamond to woman, right?

It may help to think of one diamond as a "soft" squarish shape while the other is a "hard"squarish shape. Since we''re talking "squarish" in each case, the difference is subtle, but, it is significant. For example, I tend to prefer more traditional, classic, organic things, so, I''m more of a cushion fan (umm, to be honest, I''m a die-hard cushion addict). By contrast, I think of the Jubilee as a more modern, progressive shape, and, just because she is who she is (not like me at all, LOL!), my sister-in-law would much prefer the more contemporary feel of the Jubilee, I''m sure. (Obviously, these are just my interpretations, but,you get the idea, I''m sure)! Do you have a sense of your GF''s overall aesthetics? Her jewelry? Clothing preferences? Also, do you know how you want the diamond to be set?

Finally, I''m assuming that because you used the term "squarish" you really meant it, as opposed to "square" which I would interpret as something more like a Princess or Asscher cut diamond (just checking...)
2.gif

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
Very good points, Rockit. My gf is very fashionable but the biggest thing is that she doesn''t really wear ANY jewelry... so nothing for me to really try to gauge on that aspect. As far as the setting, I think it''s going to be a thin pave setting.. something similiar to the Tiffany Novo, since that''s the only ring that really seemed to catch her eye during the few times we''ve stopped into the jewelry stores to browse.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results