shape
carat
color
clarity

Carat, Carat, Carat!

thethein11

Rough_Rock
I am no lady in waiting I am glad I have kept my girl friend in the dark on her diamond I haven’t even told her about this web site (she is not big into forums). I am kinda glad I have not told her either as she might want to go up in carat after seeing all the beautiful rings posted here.

I took out my FF to look at rings to find a size she was comfortable with and she like diamonds around 1ct to 1.2ct and she did not want me going larger than that.

Now I must admit that I myself have been swayed to look for a larger carat diamond from everything I have read here even if my price might jump about 3K.

I was able to convince her to let me look up to 1.5ct for as I think she was uncomfortable with the price tag (first thing she always looks at so I don't spend too much) not the actual ratio of ring size to finger when we were looking.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
thethein11|1295963855|2832498 said:
I am no lady in waiting I am glad I have kept my girl friend in the dark on her diamond I haven’t even told her about this web site (she is not big into forums). I am kinda glad I have not told her either as she might want to go up in carat after seeing all the beautiful rings posted here.

I took out my FF to look at rings to find a size she was comfortable with and she like diamonds around 1ct to 1.2ct and she did not want me going larger than that.

Now I must admit that I myself have been swayed to look for a larger carat diamond from everything I have read here even if my price might jump about 3K.

I was able to convince her to let me look up to 1.5ct for as I think she was uncomfortable with the price tag (first thing she always looks at so I don't spend too much) not the actual ratio of ring size to finger when we were looking.

What a nice future hubby you are! Some girls are so lucky! :)

I really think it's what she feels comfortable with.
As the Psers here stated - some of them don't like big.
What's her ring size - if you don't mind me asking? :)

should i be here

Shiny_Rock
First off, I live in NYC. I'm not seeing Real Housewives-size rings every day (or at least where I go), but the avg size is probably way bigger than it is elsewhere in the country. I see a huge range of stones (there's a huge range of people here), but among my friends, sizes range from 1.2ct to 2.2ct. I've seen larger stones on some women in the subway, etc. So given my friends' avg stone size AND my larger fingers, I decided that 3ct must be good enough for me :naughty:

Now, before we went ring shopping, I never even had a 3ct stone on my hand before. Not even a 2.5ct. So I had no real basis, but I thought that since I have fatter fingers, I HAD to go up in size to even look good. Though when I found out the prices of these things, i was like :o .

However, I am VERY lucky that my bf has the means to secure me a stone of such ridiculous size. Of course, after reading PS, I went down in clarity to Si1, even when he could just as easily have bought the same diamond in a VS2 clarity - I opted to save the $$ instead. The funny thing is, when I was trying on rings, the 2.5ct looked big on me, and the 3ct looked almost too big. But I knew about DSS so i kept my mouth shut. 4.5ct looked comical.

The strange thing is, I don't look like I would be wearing a big diamond - I dress like an overgrown teenager. Wouldn't be surprised if people thought it was fake, but hey, my bf was worried about someone chopping off my finger (seriously).

So my dream size was 3ct, and I am lucky enough to get it.

thethein11

Rough_Rock
diva rose|1295966744|2832547 said:
thethein11|1295963855|2832498 said:

What a nice future hubby you are! Some girls are so lucky! :)

I really think it's what she feels comfortable with.
As the Psers here stated - some of them don't like big.
What's her ring size - if you don't mind me asking? :)

Thank you for the kind words.

Her ring size is 5 1/4 and I would like her to be able to where it most days which is why I keep coming back to the 1.2ct - 1.25ct range.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I think 1.2-1.25C is great for her finger size. :)

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
Great Question!!

Before PS I was looking between 1.75-2.00. But after looking on PS and seeing what a 1.25-1.5c looks like on people's hands my size (4.5) I think that's a better size for me (and for my bf's wallet :) ). So PS actually lowered my expectations! I mean, I love everyone's drool worthy bling but I'm so simple when it comes to jewelry and the smaller size just makes more sense.

On a side note, I'm going ring shopping for the first time in about 2 weeks so I guess I'll know what I really want after the shopping trip...

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Before PS, and before getting engaged, I thought 2ct. Since being engaged and since PS, I would be extremely content with a 1.5 of great quality. However, that's not not say I'm not happy with my 1.11 of great quality now! :)

PS hasn't made me interested in a bigger diamond, just a better quality (cut) one. Mine is an excellent cut, but...it could always be ideal! :))

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
I think I am actually experiencing the opposite of Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome. The 0.47 carat RB diamond in my promise ring seems to be looking bigger and bigger as time goes on. I think it seems bigger the deeper I fall in love. :love:

Or, it could be that after six months of wearing it daily, I finally discovered that you are supposed to clean your ring. I had it cleaned for free at a mall jewelry store (and bought some cleaning solution for home) and HOLY CRAP it looked bigger and like 1000x blingier instantly!

I think I will probably get something between 1-2 ct for my e-ring (I have slender fingers so 2+ ct looks gaudy on me, especially a 2+ RB), but I have to say, I will miss the look of my beautifully-cut half-carat RB, especially in its very delicate split-shank setting. It has a very understated, elegant look, which I love.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
In my area, .4-.75 is quite common or three stone rings 1 c.t.w, since mall stores often have them the around the same price as a 1/2 solitaire. Women in their 30's-80's who have been married for 10+ years, may have larger diamonds (due to upgrades).

I expected 1/2 or a 3/4. I got a .57 RB. It looks larger to me than most 1/2 I see at jewelry stores. It may be cut shallow, I am not really sure. I am hoping to upgrade to a 1 ct. on my fifth anniversary. Ideally I would like a 1.5-2 ct but I can't imagine my DH ever wanting to spend that much on a diamond :(( even if we had the money. I'm sure he would if we inherited millions, but as "regular" people, I don't think he ever would.

Yes, PS has changed my outlook on diamonds. I never really thought as my diamonds as small. I never thought it was large either, just normal. Sometimes I feel inferior, but I try to not care what other people have. It is not healthy! I love my diamond and just need to remember it was the best by DH could get and he tried very hard to get something I love. :love:

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think PS changed what I wanted size-wise or cost-wise, but it did totally change what I want shape-wise! Before PS, i would have just assumed I'd get an RB. Now I want an emerald or asscher. I love the understated grace.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Before PS when I was in college, I wanted something around that magical 1ct mark. When I first joined PS I wanted something in the 3-4ct range (it was that darn 3 month salary rule that prompted that) After we went ring shopping though I realized something around 2cts would actually be more than acceptable. Right now I have a family stone that is .38cts but when we upgrade I plan on getting something in the 2-3ct range, so my desired size actually went down since joining PS!

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I think it has changed me a little bit. I had a 1.22 and thought it was a great size on my finger. Now i think it looks a little small. :oops: I would really like around a 1.5, i think that's a perfect size but i certainly wouldn't complain with anything! I was big on cut now i'm even more anal about it and have referred the bf to this site several times, though not sure he ever has looked here!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Before PS, my whole life I wanted nothing smaller than 3cts. :nono: I even told my boyfriends that. Crazy.
I came to PS and saw the big rocks & thought I could still go for it. lol

I started diamond searching and actually looking at prices, I realized I had lost my mind.
I came back to reality and wanted 1.2-1.5cts.

Then as I learned more about diamonds, tried them on in stores, read about online vendors, and that I could get a better deal by changing my priorities on diamond stats, I'm now hoping for a 1.5-2ct diamond. ;))

We'll see what happens. But at this point, I'm just so happy to be with the love of my life, knowing we're soulmates.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my new tourmaline in part because it's what I think is my ideal diamond size -- 5x7 mm. We will see if I still feel that way once its gracing my right hand.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS didn't change what I wanted in terms of weight, but it did change what I wanted in terms of color and the actual stone. I always wanted either a yellow sapphire cushion or a diamond asscher for my engagement ring. After spending quite a bit of time in the SMTR threads I ended up choosing a cushion diamond.

I must have had a weight in mind before we went looking for the stone, but I don't remember. I'm very much against going into debt for anything, so I knew we would have to set a budget we could cover in cash only. DH proposed with a 2.01 ct cushion, and that size works for me. I'm upgrading to a 2.3 antique cushion, but the change is more for cut than size, since the size difference is really minimal.

I don't know what my dream size would be. I suppose I'll just keep looking out for unique stones and if they happen to present themselves when we have the cash on hand to upgrade, it'll be a go. :cheeky:

ETA: I do have a memory of looking in the "Show Me Your 2-3 ct Rings" thread and thinking "Wow! 2 ct rings; I bet I won't wear something that large." I must have been expecting a smaller budget than what DH set.

luckky

Shiny_Rock
I'm so enjoy reading this thread! Personally I think is depend on the person. I was always dreaming of 1.5 ct. when I got married I got 1 ct. and now I got updated to 1.5 ct. I have join PC for a while and never wanna change my mind for the BIGGER ONE :tongue: Because I'm so happy with mine as long as a great 4 cs . That's just my idea that PS doesn't messed with my mind about size :) but in the other way helped me a lots to get a better Diamond that made me happy. Beside I had a small finger size (4.5) I wouldn't like to ware too big diamond :twirl:

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
My ideal size was .75. My mom and sister both have .50, so I figured .75 was big.

Marisha, your avatar picture is gorgeous! Your princess looks icy white! :appl:

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
shihtzulover|1280286548|2660364 said:
The diamond sizes that I commonly see are very varied, but that's because I know people who are living in all different areas.

I live in a very rural area, where smaller diamonds (.25 to maybe .75, but probably a bit more in the lower end of that range) are most common, but I have friends who I went to school with (some who live in this area and some who don't) who have about 1 carat center stones, and maybe a couple of 1.5 carat solitaires. Of course, I have only seen most of them on facebook, so I have no idea how well cut they are, or what the color and clarity specs are.

When my boyfriend and I started looking, we were thinking that 1 carat would be our ideal size. I hadn't even discovered pricescope yet, but it seemed like the more we looked, the bigger we wanted. We ended up finding a beautiful 1.5 carat princess cut solitaire. My ring size is about a 4.5, but I guess I like the bigger look . Also, I guess since we went to so many different places, I experienced the 'diamond shrinkage' phenomenon early, and decided on larger than what we originally thought.

Our diamond has 'F' color, and I could have gotten a 2 carat with 'I' color (with all other specs being equal) for just a little bit more money, but I was afraid that the yellow would show in the corners of the stone, and I really like the whiter look. Also, I was afraid that if I went any larger, people around here would probably just think it was fake. The one that we picked is perfect for what we both want.

I am very happy with our purchase, but I think I am spoiled now! :)

Wow - several months later, my perceptions have changed again. My fiance ended up proposing with our original diamond in early December, and it was so sparkly and beautiful (GIA-graded princess cut, 1.53 carats, F color, SI1 clarity). After awhile though, the particular pattern bothered me a bit - it had excellent polish and excellent symmetry, and it sparkled like crazy most of the time, but it tended to get a dark ring in the center in a lot of lighting. My fiance also happened to start a new job right around when he proposed, and then we heard that diamond prices are expected to increase pretty dramatically, so we decided to go ahead and upgrade (luckily, our jeweler has a lifetime upgrade policy).

Our jeweler called in an AGS 000, and we also looked at what he had in stock at the time. Surprisingly, the AGS 000 didn't sparkle all that much more than the other diamonds (pretty much a negligible difference), and we ended up falling in love with a GIA-graded, 2.21 carat princess cut with F color and SI2 (eye-clean) clarity. It seemed absolutely huge at first, but I felt like a superstar when I tried it on, so I didn't even care about whether anyone would think it was fake or not. I have had it for just under two weeks now, and I love it. :love:

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
suchende|1301014140|2879592 said:
I bought my new tourmaline in part because it's what I think is my ideal diamond size -- 5x7 mm. We will see if I still feel that way once its gracing my right hand.
For the record I am loving the size, proportions and cut. Getting this finger-warmer in a similar style and size to what I think I want for the "real deal" has been a great way to test-drive it. Though I think, instead of a 5x7 mm stone I might want something a little fatter, like 6.5-7 x 5.5-6.

ring983

Rough_Rock
ring983|1288381063|2750493 said:
Reading this board definitely affects ones view of appropriate carat size. I first came here thinking thinking a 1.25-1.5 RB would be spectacular but after lurking for a few weeks, Im starting to feel that anything i buy will have to be 1.5 or larger.

HAHA the pricescope effect is true. i just put down a deposit for a RB, G, VS2-SI1, ~2.

i try not to think about the money. :errrr:

ella22

Rough_Rock
I both grew up in an area with larger ring sizes and now I work in an area where all the women have huge rings and will tell me "it's okay honey you can always upgrade". I feel I'm traditional, in that whatever ring I get, I hope to keep! I'm very sentimental and I don't want to mess around much with what I get the first time. Which is why I drop a lot of hints about what that should be :)

Pre-pricescope, I would say I wanted a carat, my hands are small and some other rings I have in my birthstone always look substantial on me. I don't feel that it's really changed much since being on the board! I've seen some amazing rings that are "just" a carat here! I think I'm definitely more surprised at the amount of engagements that have much bigger rings though!

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock
I grew up in a small town. the type of place where most people don't leave. ever.
it is a very rural area. one of the cheapest places to live in the state.
most of the rings that i see on people are quite small. probably 0.25 - 0.5 carat.

i have always dreamed of more. i like nice purses, nice (but simple) jewelry, etc.

my first engagement ring (though it never actually graced my finger) was just under a carat. 0.98 princess cut solitaire. (it ended when i caught him cheating on me. on valentine's day. uh huh)

in my current town, it's a little bit more....upscale? higher home prices, better jobs, etc. it is an expensive place to live. though not the most expensive place in the state.

my current (soon-to-be!) engagement ring is a 1.7 carat cushion set on a tiffany novo style band. :love: boyfriend ordered it, and it should be here later this month.

while i'm not going to say PS has fueled me wanting a larger stone e-ring (cause i always wanted a bit larger than what i saw as "average"), it has peaked my interest into gemstones. now i really want a round periot right hand ring. :naughty: and i have never before considered wearing anything on my hands beyond my wedding rings.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
No longer a LIW But I worked in a very well to do area for awhile. Most rings I saw on ladies fingers were 3+.

My fiancee and his family are well to do, but not in any sort of flashy way. In fact he hates diamonds, so when we talked about it we ended up with a heirloom stone and ring from his mother. The stone is just over a half carat, and the ring in total is just under a carat. It is GORGEOUS! It is in a beautiful edwardian platinum setting, and I literally could't be happier.

I think PS gives people a lot of unrealistic expectations about diamonds, but you need to know what works for you, your budget and where you are with where you live, what you make, what you will make in the future and what is important for you. I know they could have easily afforded a 2+ carat stone, but the more I think about it the more I realize this ring is perfect for me, for my life style, represents him, his family and our ideals as a couple. It's a stunner, a winner, I'm so happy and It's a half carat! Ain't nothing wrong with that!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original engagement ring was a colored stone (emerald). I got to pick out the stone and really I loved that ring but it was lost. Replaced it with another emerald ring with a larger stone, that I just didn't care for in the same way.

For an anniversary (and with influence of pricescope and permission of husband) designed a ring for myself that has just under a 1/2 carat round diamond in the middle. I loved the stone when I got it, and I really enjoy that the stone is just a part of a really nice piece of jewelry that I got to help design. I have gotten many compliments on it.

The circle of people I know are mainly artists or bohemian types who are rich in interior lives but not in material riches. So diamond jewelry is met with disapproval rather than admiration. So for many reasons the ring is perfect for me and I love it as much as when I originally got it, no regrets!

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
I had always wanted atleast 1 carat, then I saw it on my 8.5 finger and didn't really bother looking anymore as it looked way to small, even though in Australia that is considered on the larger side. Then enter PS HAHA late last year I bought a 2.54ct round still thought it looked to small so just previously upgraded to a 3.2ct that is currently getting set into a VC emilya halo. This Im sure will make me happy. However I am looking at purchasing an AVC close to 2ct then eventually upgrade to approx. 3.5ct with halo for rhr. All and only because of this forum :lol:

Kickin_it_Pink

Rough_Rock
1.0 - 1.3 carat would be perfect for your hand

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting thread! I've been married for 2 years now, but prior to PS, my "attainable dream ring" was a 2 ct H (or better), eye clean round solitaire. Sizes vary in my area, but most ladies get between a 0.75-1.5 ctish center stone. It didn't take long to figure out that I could go up in size if I went down a smidge in color. :bigsmile: I now have a 2.43 ct J/SI1 in a halo, and I couldn't be happier! It is sooo much more then I ever imagined -- until I'm on a PS tangent and long for a 3.5+ ct MRB (then I just feel like an ungrateful a**hole.) ::) :blackeye:

That's when I know it's time to take a break from PS!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
well no ring on my finger yet but I am a taller person with larger sized fingers so . . . a 1 carat round looks . . .dinky on my finger.

Have a great boyfriend and when it is time to start looking at rings perhaps a 5 stone ring w/ 3 or 4 pointers to get some nice sparkle.
I sound so superficial typing this but a 2.5 round didn't look overly large at all and well that's -not- in the budget at the moment.

samanthaxo

Rough_Rock
My original ideal size was 3ct. However, this was before i knew ANYTHING about diamonds and how they were priced. Now that i have a little more knowledge my ideal stone would be a 2ct round. I don't have a ring yet so hopefully whenever it happens it will be close to 2. More importantly, the man i love will have officially asked me to spend my life with him. :love: Thats what i'm really looking forward to.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Blacksand, and am so the weirdo here, but while I like large diamonds on others, I do not like large diamonds on ME. My ideal is around a half carat, in an nice low design with maybe some side stones. Or alternatively a colored stone solitaire, with a band with diamond accents for sparkle.

I also have colored stone jewelry and colored stones. But I don't wear the larger stone rings I have (I have a few gifted or handed down), and don't get around to setting the larger stones I have because I can't see myself wearing them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results