shape
carat
color
clarity

Car seat laws

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I''m looking for is what kids are supposed to be in by height/weight/age. JD called last night b/c someone who works for him was asking about car seat laws and I told him I''d look it up on the internet. I found like-10 different guidelines. Most of them said "ages 1-6 in appropriate car seat or safety seat"-that''s not really so much helpful, eh? Trapper''s been in his 5 point harness seat since before he was a year b/c he outgrew the infant seat. We kept it rear facing until..15 months or so. London is in a booster, and has been since she was..3 I believe. She''s 6 now. It''s the kind of booster that has the back on it w/the little wing things on the side of the head, and the back comes off so then it''s just like a little booster seat. I haven''t taken the back part off yet.

I''m trying to figure out how long Trapper needs to stay in his 5pt harness seat and when London can be out of her booster. I would probably keep them in the seats a little longer anyway, just as a precaution in case of an accident.

I know it varies by State, and I tried to specifically look up Iowa laws. I couldn''t find anything that was specific enough. Like, must be in 5pt harness until X age/weight/height, etc.

Anybody know a better place to look?

So Excited

Shiny_Rock
Here you go:

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/beltlaw.pdf

Iowa’s Child Safety Seat Law
Q. Who must use safety belts or child restraint
systems?
A. Provisions of the New Law: A child under 1
year old and weighing less than 20 lbs must be
secured in a rear-facing child restraint system. A
child under 6 years old must be secured in a
child restraint system (a safety seat or booster
seat-NOT a seat belt alone). A child from the age
of 6 up to the age of 11must be secured in a
child restraint system or by a safety belt.
A “child restraint system” is a specially designed
seating system, including a belt positioning seat
or a booster seat that meets federal motor
vehicle safety standards.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately I''m not really much help because all my car seat resources are at work but I believe that the 5 pt harness is required in infant seats and recommended for convertibles but not required.

I did a quick search of car seat safety by state and it seems like Iowa requires booster seats until 6 with no weight restrictions.

Sorry can''t help much. Did you try AAAP website (or AAP I forget)?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The 5 point harness is available in all infant seats which would be rear-facing until 1 yr old AND 20 lbs. It is widely suggested to keep a child rear-facing for as long as height and weight requirements of the seat are appropriate. These seats can often be turned around and accommodate a greater weight.

Some Child Restraint Systems are also available in 5 point and are recommended as the safest restraint as long as the child fits comfortably. Belt positioning boosters are also appropriate as long as the child is within the height and weight limit.

Children should stay in a booster until the seat belt fits. In IL, the law is 8 yrs old and 80 lbs to be out of the booster.

SO, infant seats are the only REQUIRED 5 point harness. But most seats for toddlers are also available in 5 point style. If you have a clever kid, the 5 point is harder to get out of than just a belt-positioning seat.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
You are correct in that laws will vary state by state and that most laws will simply state in vague terminology that a child must be in appropriate saftey restraint seat while the car is in motion. www.elitecarseats.com has specific state by state requirements (if any).

You will only find guidelines or recommendations for the use of specific seats for height/weight/age. I prefer the American Academy of Pediatrics website for more detailed info. Except that the aap website does not adequately stress (IMHO) the new recommendation that children remain rear facing until age two. Although it does say that they should remain rear facing as long as possible with an absolute minimum of 1 year and 20lbs.

Ultimately, the most important factor is that the car seat is appropriate for the size (height and weight) of the child. You need to read the manufacturer''s instructions for maximum weight. Most dont have a max height indicated, but if the childs ears are above the top of the carseat you need to move them to a larger seat or remove the headrest if they are in a booster.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results