shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t make up my mind!!! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, some of you already know my dilemma for my anniversary upgrade. But to make this simple, which would you choose???? (I currently have a 1 ct. diamond and most of the people I know do not have larger diamonds than that. So I am not in the market for a large diamond by any means, but I want it to be a little bigger than the one I have. My original diamond is 6.5 mm). I won''t go lower than H or VS, just to eliminate endless other options. My ideal preference would be G VS1, though.

1) Beautiful 1.66 ct. H VS1 almost ideal cut RB, great deal from trusted vendor...priced lower than usual b/c of special circumstance (7.6mm)...no return or upgrade on this one, though; a little bigger than I wanted, but hate to pay more for smaller stones!

2) Get a 1.3 or so, G or H, VS, H&A ideal, the H would be less than the #1 stone above and the G might be the same or a little more (about 7.1mm) (I just missed a 1.36 that WF sold that was almost perfect, rats! But it was also more than #1)

3) Spend $3000 more and get close to a 1.5 ct. H&A G VS2 (7.4mm)

Thanks in advance for your help. I just have a lot of doubts, and when I do, my policy is "when in doubt, don''t". But I also hate to pass up a really great deal on #1.
33.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey diamondseeker,
i already posted in your other thread so I won''t repeat it here. I also am a firm believer in my tag below...a deal is a deal ONLY if you are getting EXACTLY what you want. If you have your heart set on other things and you like the stone but don''t LOVE it and are only considering it b/c it''s a deal..then I''d pass...looks like budget isn''t a huge issue. don''t settle, wait for want you really want, like the stone from WF you just missed
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 3:56:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo
hey diamondseeker,
i already posted in your other thread so I won''t repeat it here. I also am a firm believer in my tag below...a deal is a deal ONLY if you are getting EXACTLY what you want. If you have your heart set on other things and you like the stone but don''t LOVE it and are only considering it b/c it''s a deal..then I''d pass...looks like budget isn''t a huge issue. don''t settle, wait for want you really want, like the stone from WF you just missed
1.gif
I agree with mrssalvo.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks mrssalvo and Kaleigh! I guess my problem is that I don''t know "exactly" what I want! Lol! The confusion comes in that I don''t know if a H&A is THAT much better than anything else and whether only a crazy person would pay more for a smaller diamond! I know #1 is probably in the top 10% of diamonds and that should be just fine. I had never even heard about H&A or understood the value of ideal cut if I hadn''t found PS. I hate wasting money, too. It''s just hard to balance it all out.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish you could find a way to have an H&A to compare with the one you are thinking of buying now. I don''t know if that is possible but a thought anyway. How long can you keep the one you are considering??

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''m agreeing with Kaleigh that it would be nice to compare the 1.66 with one of the "superideals."

Having said that, though, I''m such a lover of a bargain that the 1.66 appeals to me greatly. (Even though I don''t know the price, lol.)

Also, although you think it''s bigger than you want, shrinkage is often an issue and I bet that you will not regret going that large!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I had not seen your post on the other thread, mrssalvo when I wrote this question. I think your advice is good and I think Kaleigh has a good point about trying to get a H&A to compare. Thanks!

Patty, sent you a PM.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I have doubts all day long at work. Then I come home and take out this diamond. And I think, gee, how can anything be prettier than this? Plus it''s a great deal! Lol!

Thank y''all a lot for putting up with me! I''ll probably go through the same thing in choosing a setting! Lol!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think nothing of it, that''s why we''re here!!!
2.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, take the money out of the equation. I know that it is important but you are wrestling with too many factors at once.

Do you like the size of the stone that you currently have from Wink? Does it feel too big for you or does it make you uncomfortable? I think the first thing you have to determine is the size of stone you want.

Next you have to determine the H&A superideal part. This is where the money will definitely come into play. You will pay a premium price for these gradings. Will you be able to tell a difference? Maybe. Will it be a huge difference? No. The stone you have from Wink now is probably better than most of us will ever see walking around. You will find that only here on PS is there such hair splitting. No one else in your world will ever know the difference. They will never know how much better it could be. And they don''t care. That''s the simple truth.

It sounds like the stone you have now is a good buy. You get the size and almost ideal proportions. If the size doesn''t work for you then the rest doesn''t matter anyway. The consensus of this board is that it looks lovely on your hand. It really does. Choose the one factor that is most important to you - size, money, color, etc. Go from there. Otherwise, you can roll this around forever. I agree that it would be helpful for you to see some superideal stones but if you like that look better then you are losing size in order to make it doable. Again, choose your most important deciding factor and go from there.

Good luck - we have all had to wrangle a few variables to get what we wanted or what we were comfortable with. It can be a very difficult decision but like any other decision you have to break it down. I would start with the size because I keep hearing you talk about the size first and foremost. Just remember though - shrinkage sets in fairly quickly. If you are going to upgrade, be sure that you do it for enough size to make a visual difference. Just my .02!

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Ok everything that she said (MGR)... that was easy to say. Plus consider this - you have one thing going for you that hasn''t been said which is you already have a diamond on your finger. Meaning your not under some deadline to propose so you have the time to get what you want. This is how I view diamond upgrade shopping. I''m not under the gun, so until something floats my boat & twinkles my toes (lol) I''m not buying. Now you do have a very beautiful diamond from Wink but if your not sure take your time.

Of course, my opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt since I must have the "patience of Jobe" and have given myself no timeline.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D seeker
35.gif

go with option #3 and don''t look back. #3 has all the 5 C''s you want in a stone. you will never ask yourself ( i should of...
20.gif
)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say DITTO to everything MissGotRocks said. Wink''s stone does look gorgeous on your hand, sizewise, sparklewise. Would it be worth it to kick in another $3K for a 1.5 ct H&A ideal? I don''t know. If the difference is a very very good stone versus a very very very good stone.....is that significant enough?!

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
I would probably go with #1 because I like a deal, but Dancing Fire has an excellent point. So if you can afford the extra $3000 then go for 1.5 ct for sure! I think you will be happier with it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 7:33:51 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
D seeker
35.gif

go with option #3 and don''t look back. #3 has all the 5 C''s you want in a stone. you will never ask yourself ( i should of...
20.gif
)

DF - I like the way you think!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#3 has all the C''s except for the one...Cost! It is hard for me to rationalize spending $3000 more for a slightly smaller diamond! This is why I keep going around in circles! But you are right DF, if you get everything you want at the outset, there is little room for regret later!

MissGotRocks does have an important point about determining the size first. I completely agree that there is no point in upgrading at all if the stone is going to look too much like the current 1 ct. diamond. I was originally looking for the 1.4 range, but quickly found that there are few stones that size. The longer I look at #1, I don''t think it seems so huge (classic definition of shrinkage???), so I want to be sure I don''t go too small! The fact is that there are certain circles in my life where I think anything above a carat is going to seem like a lot, and others, like where we normally vacation, that I''ll enjoy it very, very much.

I don''t think the H&A is essential to me. I think the diamond from Wink probably is much better than most of the diamonds around here!

But Diam100 makes a good point, too...I have no time constraints. My anniversary isn''t until December!!! I just asked my husband if I could get my gift now and celebrate all year! LOL!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 9:55:49 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
#3 has all the C''s except for the one...Cost! It is hard for me to rationalize spending $3000 more for a slightly smaller diamond! This is why I keep going around in circles! But you are right DF, if you get everything you want at the outset, there is little room for regret later!
yes,cost is one of the C''s...notice my post above the 5 C''s.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results