shape
carat
color
clarity

Cannot decide between two hair/makeup artists... please help me choose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know very little about how to judge hair/makeup artists, and I was hoping you ladies with a more expert eye might be able to help me! I'm trying to decide between these two. They have comparable prices and customer service.

Artist 1 and click on Gallery
Artist 2

I would love to hear your opinions on them. If it helps, I'm Asian.

Thanks!

ETA: If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to add another artist to the mix.

Artist 3

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert either, but I like 1 or 3.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Some of 3''s gallery photos are really very good but then others looks like she didn''t camoflauge flaws to well and there''s frizzies in the hairstyles....

Really hard to tell from pictures!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, sunnyd and tessari!

tessari, I agree, it''s hard to tell from the pictures. If I could afford it, I''d go do trials with all of them, but I can''t. What did you think of 1?

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
#1''s pictures look consistently good, whereas #3''s pictures are a mixed bag. #3''s looks like she goes more with a messy style, whereas #1 seems to do more put together styles. What kind of style were you thinking about? What does your headpiece/veil look like?

To be honest, I don''t think you can really judge #1 by her pictures. They are all very artistic, and I''m sure they''ve been at least somewhat photoshopped. I did see some pics where hair was frizzy, and you don''t want that on your wedding pics. The eye makeup looks pretty good, but it''s hard to tell what the skin looks like. If you have good skin, this obviously is not an issue.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Ok. Go ahead and roll your eyes and tell me I suck.

I couldn''t decide. #1 ALL the pictures looked good.. like too good. #3 I felt was a more honest portrayal of what you''d get. You see the before and after in some shots... and really get a feel for yeah, she''s putting makeup on you.. but in the end, you''ll still look like you... does that make any sense?

I liked the PHOTOGRAPHS of #1 best... but I really feel if you pick out what sort of makeup style you want... and communicate it... you''ll get the effect you want. Just don''t expect to not look like you at the end... I hope I make sense.

So #1 was my favorite pic.. but the images could have been airbrushed or touched up... like your photog can do... but #3 felt more real.

Sorry if I just confused you. (I also liked Cynthia''s the best.) Yes, saying that you are asian helps because it gives a general idea of what makeup will play to certain eye shapes. I felt #3 gave more choices and samples of her work.. but #1 had the best images.

Best wishes!

35.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
brooklyngirl and tlh, thanks so much for your comments! I agree with both your assessments about 1 and 3. Most of 1's photos are professional photographer photos, so they may have been enhanced quite a bit, whereas 3 has at least some photos that aren't professional so they look more real. Because it sounds like they both have pluses and minuses (too enhanced photos for 1, and some flaws in 3's photos), I'll just pick based on personality at this point. It looks like 2 is out.

brooklyngirl, I haven't decided yet between the more structured look or a looser style, but I'm leaning towards the first. (My concern is that a looser style might get a bit frizzy by the end of the day.) My veil is going to be cut-edge, one-layer cathedral length. That probably fits more with 1's style, I'm guessing.

Thanks again, ladies!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Two''s makeup looked inconsistent and 3''s hair was all sloppy.

Does one airbrush foundation?

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I'm going through this process myself and have a couple of suggestions, please disregard if you've already addressed them.

I found that while some makeup artists do a good job, they tend to make every girl in the party look the same, rather than emphasizing and flattering your unique features, artist 1 appeared to have done that. In my opinion, you as the bride should be the center of attention, there should be some difference between you and your party e.g. colors used, how dramatic the look is.

Also talking to your photographer helps too, you should consider where you'll be taking the pictures, the amount and types of lighting available so that your look works well with the rest of the setting and the photos come out really artistically.

Cheers

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 looks very photoshopped to me. No way they looked like that in real life, or raw pictures.

You are going to do a trial with the one you choose, right? I cannot tell you how important trials are, especially if you''re getting your artist on something other than personal recommendation. I went in to have a trial with an extremely well-reviewed artist, whose portfolio looked impeccable and resume was extensive. I walked out of the trial looking like CRAP. (This is when I decided to do DIY makeup. Yech.)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, jjdav, and musey, thanks for your comments, they''re very helpful! I don''t think 1 does airbrush. I''ll talk to my photographer before making a final decision. And I''m definitely going to do a trial first. Musey, I''m surprised that a well-reviewed artist with a good portfolio would have a trial that resulted that way for you. I certainly won''t neglect to do the trial!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 8:04:43 PM
Author: Kim N
Musey, I''m surprised that a well-reviewed artist with a good portfolio would have a trial that resulted that way for you. I certainly won''t neglect to do the trial!
I was too
38.gif
you never know who is writing those reviews (I think she wrote a lot of them HERSELF), whether the portfolio is their work (or an associate''s in the same umbrella) or whether their resume is accurate. The trial is definitely a necessity, glad you''ll be doing it!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, I see your concern about finding a makeup artist who is familiar with Asian faces - being Asian myself, I''ve deal with too many people at makeup counters who don''t know how to put makeup on someone who doesn''t have the "eyelid crease"

#2 looks really prom-like, and not really impressive. #3''s photos are untouched, but your hair really shouldn''t look that frizzy. Also, the eye makeup looks exactly the same for each person. It''s a very heavy eye with shadowing in the corners and crease; it''s very much a one note type of makeup look. I''d be interested to know if that person can do different makeup styles. #1 has clearly worked up the photos, so it looks perfect, but it appears the makeup isn''t the same from person to person. If you can afford it, you should try them both out.

Are you looking in the Bay Area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results