shape
carat
color
clarity

Canine Diabetes Mellitus

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Our beloved 6 year old Terrier mix had been insatiably craving water. I would give him a full bowl and he''d lick the chrome off the bowl. Then a couple nights ago I awoke to a thud......thud.....thud. I got out of bed and the poor little guy was nosing the toilet seat because even though he knows not to drink out of it, there''s water in there.

So I took him to the vet yesterday and his urine and blood were tested for glucose levels and he has been diagnosed with canine diabetes. He hadn''t eaten all day and his blood registered at 247. Levels for dogs are nearly identical for humans with a normal range being 60 - 120. There is no way to treat canine diabetes except insulin shots.

Now, I am not afraid of anything in this world......except for needles/blood. My bf has a chronic condiiton which puts him in the hospital multiple times a year and every time the nurse goes in for the IV - I leave the room. Now I''m presented with the task of administering two shots a day to our little furbaby. Keep a small vile on insulin in the refrigerator, turn it upside down, register the amount via the plunger, flick it if there are air bubbles, (I''m already getting queasy just typing this).....

We want to monitor his levels daily and find out how his diet is affecting, responding to his treatments. There is so much to learn. I couldn''t give him the shot this morning because I got nauseus so I drove him a few blocks down the road and the vet tech did it for me. She laughs and says, you know we can''t do this for you every morning - you''re not hurting him. I know I need to ''buck up'' and I know I can''t drive him there twice a day. My bf could be relied upon to do it in the mornings (but hasn''t yet) but I can''t rely on everyone else for the rest of the little guy''s life. He needs me.

Anyone else dealing with canine diabetes or have any tips on how I can get over my fears?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Starset, my bullmastiff had diabetes, and like you I was awfully sick of needles. I have terrible asthma, and a lifetime of blood drawing and shunts in my head because there were no other spaces to put it really put me off. But, the dog''s neck skin is thicker than humans, and I must have done it right, there was never any blood. I had to give shots daily as well, and it was worth it. It makes you sick to think about it, but it made me sicker to think of what would happen had I NOT done it daily. I don''t know what to say other than it''ll get easier. I know you don''t believe it, but it DOES. They barely feel it, and it''s like getting nails trimmed, they may howl, but it''s all the fight of it. My dog never batted an eye. I''m sorry, though. Hugs to you and your fur baby.
7.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Amber!!!

Not in my wildest imagination did I ever think I''d have to deal with this. I mean, it''s not like it''s my child but since I have none - it is! I''m afraid in the middle of giving the shot I''ll lose the ability ''to make a fist'' and lose control of the task. I just feel faint and prickly and hot when the vet tech does it.

But you''re right - what''s worse is what happens if I don''t do it.
Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
starset i'm so sorry to hear this about your little darling...!!

dogs are tough though!! they can take pain way better than we can, so don't worry you are going to be hurting him overly..and i'm sure he'll get used to the needle prick twice a day kind of thing. you can also soothe him with a treat before and a treat after kind of thing...so at least he will learn he's getting a reward and be more apt to behave and sit still (if he is food oriented).

in terms of you getting over your fear of needles and blood...what about practicing with the needle and some test fluid (water or whatever) on something like a doll or a plush toy for a while? maybe give yourself a few days and have your bf give him the shot in the morning and take him to the vet in the afternoon for a few days but vow to yourself that you will work yourself over the fear by say friday or something. practicing with drawing the fluid and releasing it into a doll or a stuffed animal or something will help you get used to the movements and the method and make you more 'sure' when it comes to actually doing it.

anyway...you will be surprised what you can make yourself do for a loved one...i have the biggest queasy thing with vomiting...literally if i see a movie where someone throws up i practically feel like i have to as well. the smell or seeing anything like that totally makes me sick to my stomach. i already told greg if we have kids he is going to have to take care of them when they get the flu and throw up. i just cannot do it. HOWEVER when we got portia...suddenly i am able to clean up dog vomit at 6am in the morning without blinking an eye (portia had a sensitive stomach for the first year and a half) and go back to sleep...i'm able to get next to no sleep when she is sick for 2 days and going to the bathroom literally every hour or less, cleaning up accidents in the bedroom, the kitchen, the living room because she couldn't control it. not fun, but you just do it! they rely on us to take care of them so we do. not fun and games all of the time...but don't worry i know you can do it!! and you'll be over that mental hurdle and you'll feel so much better afterwards too. and so will your fur baby!

keep us posted and give him lots of hugs. i know when portia feels badly, she is practically glued to my side....so i always try to give her extra affection even though i'm not sure she understands...because i can't always make it feel better unfortunately.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara had a great suggestions of finding something to practice on. My college roomate was a nursing major and used to practice on oranges because of the thick skins. anyway, maybe your vet has some good tips as well. I would be surprised if you ever saw any blood though.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
After seeing my cat get microchipped the other day, I am thoroughly convinced that dogs and cats can take quite a bit to the scruff of the neck and hardly notice.

I don't want to freak you out or make you feel worse, but the needle to microchip a pet is HUGE...we're talking gargantuan bore in comparison to the teeny tiny ones used to administer insulin, etc. She didn't even notice it. When I saw the microchip thing I was a little concerned for her, but she didn't notice it at ALL. So don't feel like you're going to be hurting the dog with those teeny little insulin syringes!!

As for getting over your fear of needles...it's true - it's amazing what one will do for a loved one. You will get used to it!!!!

ETA: I like Mara's snack idea...at least perhaps the pup can associate the injection with getting a treat afterwards?

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I gave my kitty subcutaneous fluids for 2 years for kidney failure. I practiced repeatedly on an orange and that really helped me overcome my anxiety about it. Initially, my cat was afraid but she quickly came to almost look forward to it ''cause she realized that it made her feel so much better. Good luck with your fur baby.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Starset, your poor little guy nudging the toilet seat just breaks my heart... what is it about animals hurting that is just so unbearable to think about?? Ugh...
15.gif
15.gif
15.gif

My childhood cat had diabetes also, and we gave him insulin shots 2x a day. We learned to do it quickly in the back of his neck when he was eating and he never even flinched. I am SURE it hurt us more than him! You will learn to get past your fears because you know it is necessary to keep your puppy happy and healthy... if anything is an incentive, it''s that!

Maybe practice filling a needle with water first until you get used to the feeling, then squeezing into an orange as someone else suggested. Yes you will feel nauseus and uneasy the first few (or 100!) times you do it, but you''ll be surprised when those feelings start to subside. Then when it comes time for your dog''s next shot, give him a snack, take a deep breath, and it will be over before you know it. First time will be hardest, but it will continue to get easier and easier after that.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
You gals are helping my ''can do'' attitude.

I guess if the procedure were just pierce and plunge I''d almost be fine with it. My vet tech told me after the initial puncture I have to back up the plunger to make sure I haven''t entered a blood vessel because then I wouldn''t want to inject the insulin - I''d have to back up and find a new place. Blech!

Okay, wish me luck - I''m going home now and hopefully mustering the courage to try it. Maybe I''ll stop by the supermarket and buy an orange - we need paper towels anyway.
emlove.gif
emdog.gif
emlove.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Starset, that''s what initally gave me pause, too. I was so focused on possibly doing it WRONG. But man, my dog had the thickest neck skin ever, like injecting a rhino! Good luck- it''ll be fine!!

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi Starset

All my sympathy to you.
35.gif
This must be a really difficult time for you - getting used to your dog''s diagnosis, new food and medication regimen and the dreaded needles.

As someone who has "human" diabetes and have been injecting myself for 24 years, I would urge you to try and overcome your fear of needles and give your dog the best and timely treatment you can.

When my bloodsugar goes high, I feel terrible - physically and emotionally. But, I know what is happening to me, and I can treat it with a shot of insulin. I can''t imagine the questions in a pet''s mind when his bloodsugar is too high and he feels awful. (Be careful of too low bloodsugar too, it is just as bad.)

I am sure there are more than one online group who can give you support with regards to your dogs diabetes care, diet and well-being.Try a search on yahoo for pet diabetes groups. Investigate bloodglucose monitoring for your dog as well. Education is the key to your dog''s prolonged well-being.
34.gif

Good luck
Maya

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone has given you great advice, especially about practising on an orange - it is a good technique! The hardest creature to inject is a guinea pig, they have skin like elephant''s hide, a dog is much easier!

You can and will be able to do this, as you will put your baby first and his needs and learn to push your fears to the background, I promise you!

A friend had a cat diagnosed with diabetes, she was crying and distraught as she too hated needles and the thought of having to inject and possibly hurt her cat. Guess what??? Within a couple of weeks, she was drawing up that in insulin, flicking the syringe like a pro, grabbing the cat and injecting him singlehandedly with nonchalance! I would just smile...

So fear not, many others have been in your shoes and you will manage this just fine
35.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for everyone''s kind words and advice!
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Well, last night was bf''s early night home so right after the furbaby ate he flattened his stomach to the kitchen floor and we were both like, cool - let''s do it now. So I pet him and said you''re such a good boy and all that jazz while bf did it like a pro (even though it was his first time.) He understands my aversion and is being patient with me.

So this morning we didn''t quite get the routine down. I have to be at work an hour earlier than him so I agreed to let him out and feed him right before I left work. That way when he woke up a few minutes later he could give the shot first thing and it would be within minutes of him finishing eating. Well, one big problem. He wouldn''t eat. He''s never been a dog to eat first thing in the morning. He usually eats when I come home for lunch at 12:00 and then again around 7pm. So needless to say he didn''t get his dose this morning but bf put his food bowl on top of the fridge.

Should I feed him at his normal lunch time and bite the bullet with the shot or just skip this one because we''re trying to change his schedule to morning feedings and then closer to 5:00 when I get home?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Erin, can you ask your vet about that one? I don''t know that we''d have the best advice here, is it bad for him not to get his shot this morning? Can you skip a shot or do they not advise it? Dogs LOVE routine, they don''t like when it changes. He might be making his feelings known about the changing of the routine.

Don''t you hate when they won''t eat?! ARGH that drives me nuts! It''s like WHY NOW. Esp when sometimes you really NEED them to eat, and then they are like yeah sorry Mom, not gonna! The vet told me that dogs can go for 3 days without eating so I am always envisioning the worst when P decides to be stubborn. It totally messes up her system/bathroom routine too when she skips a meal or eats late.

Keep us posted!

brt_mbl

Rough_Rock
First of all, I am so sorry about your terrier. Its not easy to have you furkids be sick. You have gotten great advice on here. Practicing on oranges is great. As an EMT, I have seen others when I was going to school who were terrified of needles- even fainting at the site of them, but within weeks were pros at giving and receiving shots and even IV''s. It will be possible for you to get over your fear. Your a great doggy mom and keep up the good work. Any good vet clinic will give you lots of support through this and help you get the hang of it, and if not- it''s time to think about switching. Good luck and with any hard questions about when to time meds and food, call your vet- they should help you.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results