shape
carat
color
clarity

Candy Bar Info?

A

Anonymous

Hi!

I was talking w/FMIL today about favors and the candy bar idea. I'd love to use the tiny "Chinese takeout" type of boxes in a nice color, with a pretty but simple customized sticker for closures. The problem I have now is trying to figure out where to start for reliable but inexpensive vendors for the boxes and the candy. We're going to get the glass containers locally, but I do need to find some scoops.

Soooo, if anyone has done a candy bar and doesn't mind sharing their secrets, I would really appreciate the input! ::)

Thanks!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
I've been considering a candy buffet, but I think it may be too expensive (for me). I found the article below really helpful. If you want a candy bar that looks like a candy bar (the ones in the pictures) then you really have to order a substantial amount of candy. When I priced it out, I think ours would be $700 for 6 types of candy 10-15lbs each and some lollypops. That doesn't include our vases, scoops, or bags. I'm considering putting crinkled cellophane in the vases to take up space, but we'll see.. Hope this helps!

Article:
http://www.favorideas.com/wedding-blog/candy-buffet-ideas/

Online candy store I've been looking at:
http://www.candywarehouse.com/index.html

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I didn't have a candy bar, but I have been to a few weddings that had them...

My favorite by far, was a couple that put personalized stickers on tall clear celophane bags. The were so easy to take with us, and being so tall, I was able to take some of everything with me.

You can get scoops online. Just make sure you get containers that have wide openings at the top.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
We did a candy bar and guests loved it!

We got jars at Home Goods/TJ Maxx for $10-15 each. We got the scoops and tongs at a local restaurant supply store at a very reasonable price. We got coffee style bags with a tin tie top that worked well (ordered from papermart) and we put a sticker with our names/date on it.

We ordered candy from two sources - candy warehouse and metro candy. Both of them delivered promptly and were great to work with. Depending on what types/colors of candy you are looking for, after holiday sales can be helpful (i.e. if you want red or green candy, look after Christmas, pink and red, look after Valentine's day). I got all of my green M&M's the day after Valentine's day at half price at Rite Aid.

We found that the most popular candies were jelly beans, gummi candies and the M&Ms. We had taffy and hard candy sticks left over but almost none of the others.

We spent about 200 total on the candy, and had nearly 60 lbs for 115 people (with lots of some types left over). We probably spent $350 total, and I resold the jars/tongs right after the wedding and made back part of that.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
I love the "after holidays" tip! I was planning on ordering M&Ms if we did a candy buffet, but they're SO EXPENSIVE when you order specific colors. Grr.. Now, if only there was a purple holiday... :tongue:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a photo of ours so you can see what kind of effect we got for the amount we spent - I think it looked pretty good!

sbcandyyum.jpg

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
PavePrincess said:
I love the "after holidays" tip! I was planning on ordering M&Ms if we did a candy buffet, but they're SO EXPENSIVE when you order specific colors. Grr.. Now, if only there was a purple holiday... :tongue:

You might be able to get some light purple stuff after easter! But in general it is a hard one.

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
stephb0lt said:
PavePrincess said:

You might be able to get some light purple stuff after easter! But in general it is a hard one.

Okay
#1 I apologize for thread jacking.. Sorry sorry sorry! Hopefully this helps the OP as well..

#2 Your candy bar looks great!!! Approximately how many pounds of candy are in each vase?

#3 I thought about Easter, but I figured with the purple I'd get green, yellow, blue, and pink so.. it's probably not worth it. Bleh.. maybe I'll expand my colors and add pink. :D

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the wonderful tips!! I think we're going to go with the pastel color route - using M&M's and jelly beans as the bulk of the candy. So after Easter sales sound great! I'm starting to get really excited as things come together. :twirl:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
PavePrincess said:
stephb0lt said:
PavePrincess said:

Okay
#1 I apologize for thread jacking.. Sorry sorry sorry! Hopefully this helps the OP as well..

#2 Your candy bar looks great!!! Approximately how many pounds of candy are in each vase?

#3 I thought about Easter, but I figured with the purple I'd get green, yellow, blue, and pink so.. it's probably not worth it. Bleh.. maybe I'll expand my colors and add pink. :D

Thanks PavePrincess! Each vase has about 5 lbs of candy in it. I ordered 10 lbs of some of it thinking it would take that much, but it actually didn't and we had way more than we needed for most of the vases.

A

Anonymous

GREAT info, thank you!! :bigsmile:

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
stephb0lt said:
PavePrincess said:
stephb0lt said:
PavePrincess said:

Okay

Thanks PavePrincess! Each vase has about 5 lbs of candy in it. I ordered 10 lbs of some of it thinking it would take that much, but it actually didn't and we had way more than we needed for most of the vases.

Thank you for the helpful info! It's hard to tell from pictures how much candy each container holds, so it's nice to have a tangible number. Hmm.. Maybe we can afford it after all.. and I can expand my candy selection - YAY! Hahaha! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Good luck Tammy - I can't wait to see how yours comes out. :D

A

Anonymous

Likewise, PP! :D (PavePrincess is the Previous Poster..how clever!).

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I bought the bulk candy and the vendor charged $25 for the glass containers. I provided plastic baggies from the cake decorating section of walmart specifically intended for candy. It was so cheap, like a pack of 100 for $3 including the twisties. I bet someplace like oriental trading co might have those takeout boxes. Seriously they must be cheap if you can get real ones in bulk. Maybe ask your local carryout to include you on their next order?

I think the whole cost was under $150, probably more like $75. I just got what candy we liked and didn't worry about colors. My wedding was the 10th and luckily october is the best time of year to get bulk candy so stock up!!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
tammy77 said:
Likewise, PP! :D (PavePrincess is the Previous Poster..how clever!).

Hahaha! You're funny :lol:

sonnyjane said:
There is a flavor of M&M Premiums that is purple I believe:

http://www.mms.com/us/about/products/mmspremiums/

Thanks for the tip! I just looked them up online and they look so yummy! Too bad they're $6.99 for 8oz. :blackeye: I will check my local grocery store though.. Hopefully they're a little cheaper.

I am thinking of getting the dark chocolate hershey kisses.. they're purple and relatively cheap. :)

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to share a different take on the Candy Bar. I wedding I went to last year that had a Cookie Bar! The bride asked family members to make 6 dozen of their speciality cookies. She labelled each fish bowl "Grandma Smith's Raspberry Granola" or "Aunt Linda's Spectacular S'mores". She had a bunch of cookie bags with a sticker saying their names and the wedding date. They cookies were a huge hit, and brought that element of family into it as well. They bought a few tongs for the cookies (probably from the dollar store). It sounds like something that would be very cost effective. Hopefully I helped some bride to be out there, it was such a good idea I had to share it!

Here's a pic of the cookie bar being set up that morning:
Cookies.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Glitz_n_Glam said:
I just wanted to share a different take on the Candy Bar. I wedding I went to last year that had a Cookie Bar! The bride asked family members to make 6 dozen of their speciality cookies. She labelled each fish bowl "Grandma Smith's Raspberry Granola" or "Aunt Linda's Spectacular S'mores". She had a bunch of cookie bags with a sticker saying their names and the wedding date. They cookies were a huge hit, and brought that element of family into it as well. They bought a few tongs for the cookies (probably from the dollar store). It sounds like something that would be very cost effective. Hopefully I helped some bride to be out there, it was such a good idea I had to share it!

Here's a pic of the cookie bar being set up that morning:
Cookies.jpg

I wanted to do this so badly, but my venue doesn't allow outside food except for wedding cakes. ;(

A

Anonymous

I would LOVE to do a cookie bar, but the only one that would be great at it is my FI's grandmother. She makes the BEST treats, but I think that's just way too much work for her. She's probably going to make cookies for the brunch we're having the following morning though as long as she feels like she's up to the task. :lickout:

A

Anonymous

PavePrincess said:
Thanks for the tip! I just looked them up online and they look so yummy! Too bad they're $6.99 for 8oz. :blackeye: I will check my local grocery store though.. Hopefully they're a little cheaper.

I am thinking of getting the dark chocolate hershey kisses.. they're purple and relatively cheap. :)

I've actually seen the 8 oz tubs at my local Wal-Mart superstore and I'm positive they were much less than $6.99 each! They had about a dozen different colors. So if you have one nearby, it might be worth checking on. :)) I'll be at mine this Sunday, I'll try to remember to check the price.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of this before. What a great idea! Hope it works out for you tammy.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to pipe up and say that I've seen a few candy bars but Stephbolt's was fabulous in person. Not only did she and her DH do so well with picking colors and jars but the venue went the extra mile to set it up at various heights so everything was easy to reach but also gorgeous to look at. I highly enjoyed her candy bar and if you can swing it and find what you want for the right price I think its a great treat and way to add something to your decor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results