shape
carat
color
clarity

Cancun or Playa del Carmen?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
My FI and I still haven''t booked a honeymoon! We are still torn between a cruise and an all inclusive. The wedding is April 4th so we need to get the ball rolling!

We are looking into resorts in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Rivieria Maya. So far the Riu resorts have been our favorite. I know that Cancun is known for its wild spring break amenities but I have also heard that it can be beautiful and relaxing. I would like to experience a little nightlife but also have time to lay by pool/beach and relax.

My concern is that Cancun will be too crazy, and Playa del Carmen will be too boring. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Izzy!

I just wanted to comment, since I''ve been to resorts in both Playa del Carmen and Cancun. I was in Playa del Carmen at the Catalonia Riviera Maya last March for Spring Break, and at the Golden Parnassus in Cancun this past September. For spring break, we wanted just a week of relaxation - didn''t want spring breakers around, didn''t want the Cancun scene, etc., and we definitely got it. Playa del Carmen was incredibly beautiful and peaceful and quiet. That said, there were opportunities to go into Cancun (to the clubs, shopping, etc.).

I actually liked our resort in Cancun better, but it was adults-only (much quieter than the more family-friendly one in Playa) and it was off-season. We did take the bus into Cancun and walked around one night - it was fine but really, you''ll have opportunities for nightlife either place you choose. I think the beach was nicer in Playa, although the water at the particular resort in Cancun was to die for. The beach was definitely bigger and nicer in Playa, though, so something to think about if that''s a consideration (a nice beach was very high up on our list of priorities when we were choosing a resort). Also, you''ll have lots of opportunities to go snorkling, parasailing, scuba-diving, etc. whichever one you choose.

And finally, we did go by the Riu hotels (I think the Palace in Cancun) and whoa were they nice! I kind of wish we had gone there!
1.gif

Oh finally, finally, a couple pictures:

Playa del Carmen

CataloniaRiveraMaya1.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Cancun

GoldenParnassus.jpg

MsSassy

Rough_Rock
i''ve been to all three and i would really say that it depends on what you''re looking to do. if you plan on mainly staying on the resort etc then it doesnt really matter where you go. if you want to party some nights cancun would be the best bet (although there is a club in playa del carmen). if you want to enjoy the locale and eat at yummy resturants then go to playa del carmen. the beaches in playa are gorgeous and the little downtown area is really fun for shopping for trinkets etc. playa del carmen is also a bit cleaner than cancun and you dont have the abundance of college students running around and being drunk.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I stayed at this resort (see link) just outside of Cancun for a Destination Wedding in September. The rooms were nice and clean, and many had jacuzzi''s on the balcony. The resort is all-inclusive, I was a bit skeptical about the food quality b/c I''ve never done all-inclusive before, well everything was delicious and exceeded my expectations. It has 6 restaurants onsite....so plenty of variety. It was mostly couples when we were there. Oh and it was only about 20 min from the airport.

http://www.paradisus-riviera-cancun.com/resort.php

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We stayed at Rivera Maya (somewhere is a honeymoon thread with pictures) and had a great time. I personally *hate* Cancun so I would pick any other option.

palomablancabride

Rough_Rock
We loved Playa del Carmen. It wasn''t boring at all. We stayed north of the downtown area... away from the hustle and bustled and chilled during the day. The beach is gorgeous! 5th Avenue/the downtown area is full of great shopping. I was quite shocked at the hopping nightlife. I thought it would be more like a lazy beach town, but there were some rather nice, upscale- looking lounges, many bars, and several clubs (not just one as someone previously posted).

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I think it really does depend on what you want. Do you want private time alone with your new hubby and plenty of relaxation? Or do you want to show off new hubby at all the best nightspots and lots of nearby ammenities?

If it''s the first, I would definitely recomment Playa Del Carmen, (BTW, Playa del Carmen is IN the Riviera Maya.) We''ve gone to the Barcelo Mayan Riviera and the Viva Wyndham Maya and both were gorgeous, but lots of kids around. They are not necessarily obnoxious, you just can''t miss them. If you decide that you want to go into downtown Playa Del Carmen, there is a little downtown square that has a couple of clubs and a big Senor Frogs and there is always a cab into Cancun.

If you think that you want to go clubbing more than just once, I would recommend staying in Cancun (that taxi ride mentioned above is about $60USD EACH WAY!) We went to a destination wedding in Cancun last June and we stayed at The Royal Cancun and it was fantastic! Adults only, jacuzzi in every single room, marble showers with triple head jet sprays, several a la carte restaurants.

It really depends on what you want from your vacation. Watch out for the hidden fees, and don''t forget that to stay away from Cancun, you have to pay much more in airport transfers which are not always included, and getting back into Cancun from the Riviera Maya.

The beach itself is bigger and better in Playa because the last hurricane literally sat on Cancun for two days and swept all the sand away. The beaches in Cancun proper are still under restoration and there are many patches that are still rocky and rough until you get out in the water.

Good Luck, the Riu properties are great and among our favorite!

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
I have been to Tulum and Riviera Maya (both inclusive resorts) and enjoyed both. i would highly recommend the ecoparks nearby for a daytrip (Xel-Ha had the best snorkeling I've ever done, and Xcaret was fun also).

You say you're also considering a cruise? One thing I like better about cruises than my trips to Mexico has been that I didn't have to have so many restrictions on my diet as I do when I eat in Mexico (e.x. avoiding uncooked fruits and veggies, salads, dairy) since you eat most of your meals on the ship and they bring food from the US with them. Also, I think it's fun to wake up in a new place each day, as you do on a cruise.

And Appletini -- i stayed at the same resort and agree it was lovely!

Good luck!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 11:13:56 AM
Author: wannaBMrsH

The beach itself is bigger and better in Playa because the last hurricane literally sat on Cancun for two days and swept all the sand away. The beaches in Cancun proper are still under restoration and there are many patches that are still rocky and rough until you get out in the water.

Good Luck, the Riu properties are great and among our favorite!
I am with Tacori, in that I really don't like Cancun, and wannaBMrsH hit most of the nail on the head. I was there in 02 before the Hurricane, and in 06 after, and there really is no comparison. If you want good snorkeling and breathtaking beaches, then this is not your answer. I haven't been back to Playa since the hurricane hit.

I went back to Cancun for a DW in Novemebr and we stayed at Riu Caribe. It was not high on my list, mainly because of the low quality rooms, beverage choice, also the bartending/serving staff was less than congenial as well. I also used the spa, and it wes less than stellar. However I heard great things about the Riu Palace. It seems to be one of the best in the area.

As far as what I didn't like about staying in Cancun. Everywhere we turned there was someone peddling something (all day long). The resort allows people from the bars to come onto the property during the day and ask you if you want to attend their bar at night and if you would like to be part of a "bar tour" only happening that one night for the very low price of ??
20.gif
So unbelievably annoying!! And once you get to the bars at night they bombard you with a "special" to go into their bar, then follow you until you have to literally scream at them to go away. There are probably about 20 bars, and about 5 "peddlers" per bar. You can imagine the crowd.

Also the beaches just aren't what they used to be. There's only about 50 feet of sand, and a very crowded volleyball court, where anytime the ball leaves the "court" it is in a beach-goers lap or about 10 feet out in the surf.

I only spent a day in Playa each time I visited, but the locals were very nice. My ship left before the evening, so no opinion on nightlife, but the area was very relaxing.

Not sure about Maya, but I'm always up for visiting new places. I've found that my first visit to a new area, is always a good one
9.gif
. HTH.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Izzy
not sure if you have decided yet but I wanted to chime in on this one, Cancun is NOT totally wild spring breakers. I have never seen wild spring breakers and i have been 4 times.
I suppose it you went DURING spring break week and you stayed at the cheap hotels that college kids stay at then yes, you might run into them, but i never have.

Last time i was there, we stayed at the Riu Palace and it was amazing. FI and I love cancun so much that we are choosing to go back there for our honeymoon. There is so much to do, if you stay on the strip, everything is within walking distance and if you want to go some place farther down the strip, just hop on the city bus for 5 pesos.

I would definitly recommend cancun. we are staying at THE ROYAL cancun for the honeymoon, - can''t wait. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

We have also done cruises, we prefer the all inclusive resorts better, - it really depends on the couple -

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I went to Playa del Carmen and I adored it. We stayed at an all inclusive place called the Iberostar (I may have spelled it wrong!) The food was great and the beaches were beautiful. It has been my favorite Mexican location!

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Also, if you go to cancun, do not take a taxi, take the buses, the taxi''s rip you off, as most do. lol
there are peddlers, but i have found peddlers are everywhere, playa del carmen, riviera maya and cancun.

we love cancun. I went in 07, 06, and 95 and 96. love it

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
ILPC, we went to THE ROYAL Cancun last June for a good friend''s DW and it was FABULOUS! You are going to love it! They have great food, we loved ALL the restaurants from the Asian one to the beachside grill and their infinity pool is TDF. We upgraded to a Royal Oceanfront Suite and also had a private beach cabana that was assigned to the room. And as I mentioned above, every room has a Jacuzzi. I will try to find pictures to post.

This one is of us at the pool facing away from the beach.

29JUN08 Royal.jpg

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 3:17:43 PM
ILPC, we went to THE ROYAL Cancun last June for a good friend''s DW and it was FABULOUS! You are going to love it! They have great food, we loved ALL the restaurants from the Asian one to the beachside grill and their infinity pool is TDF. We upgraded to a Royal Oceanfront Suite and also had a private beach cabana that was assigned to the room. And as I mentioned above, every room has a Jacuzzi. I will try to find pictures to post.

I''m getting married at The Royal but the one in Playa Del Carmen. Hopefully it''s as good as the one in Cancun!

MsSassy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 10:50:52 AM
Author: palomablancabride
We loved Playa del Carmen. It wasn't boring at all. We stayed north of the downtown area... away from the hustle and bustled and chilled during the day. The beach is gorgeous! 5th Avenue/the downtown area is full of great shopping. I was quite shocked at the hopping nightlife. I thought it would be more like a lazy beach town, but there were some rather nice, upscale- looking lounges, many bars, and several clubs (not just one as someone previously posted).
When we went into playa del carmen, the waiters we spoke to during lunch and dinner told us that there was one major club in playa that was similar to those in Cancun (ie, the ones that have the shows going all night). we didnt go but thats what we were told.

also i dont think you run into the "spring breaker" crowd unless you go out clubbing at night (although the crowd is varied with lots of older people too- i was shocked when i went into coco bongo and saw someone that looke like they were in their 60's at least..lol). We went last year in april and august
(april we stayed at the Mayan and August the Sands- both AMAZING hotels) and i didnt get the vibe of the party crowd til we went to the clubs. We had a car rental both times we went and it was great. we were able to drive to the excursions and to all the towns we wanted to go to. this could definitely be an option for you. it becomes worth it if you decide to take a few excusions anyway. we saved over 200 bucks on the excursion transportation and another 200 in taxi's which well covered the cost of the rental for the week plus zero deductable insurance.

oooh if you go to playa check out veronica's massage...35 bucks for a one hour massage! oh and the taco stand right next to it is YUMMY!!!! oh and there's this place called blue something...i forgot but they have the BEST fish tacos i've ever had!

honestly my fiance and I really enjoyed playa...it reminds me a bit of 3rd street promenade in santa monica. We party but not too hard (i dont drink actually). its a really nice atmosphere.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
THANKS EVERYONE! It doesn''t look like we can go wrong either way. One thing I forgot to consider....FOOD! (Thanks, lovinsparkles!) My fiance and I LIVE to eat. Good food is a must! Is the food at the all inclusives safe? I really don''t love the idea of dietary restrictions. I''ll keep ya''ll updated!

galvana

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for posting this, we can''t wait to go. I think we got the Royal Oceanfront Suite ! i can''t wait! Is there a gym, did you use the spa/?? YAY

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 10:28:29 PM
Author: Izzy03
THANKS EVERYONE! It doesn''t look like we can go wrong either way. One thing I forgot to consider....FOOD! (Thanks, lovinsparkles!) My fiance and I LIVE to eat. Good food is a must! Is the food at the all inclusives safe? I really don''t love the idea of dietary restrictions. I''ll keep ya''ll updated!

We stayed at the El Dorado Royale when we went to the Mayan and LOVED the food. It was outstanding. Better than I could afford to eat here in Toronto that is for sure!

The rooms were beautiful (big jacuzzi tub in each room) and the drinks were all high end brands (grey goose etc was available when I was there).

The beach isn''t anything amazing - the surf is rough there so they have breakers in the water. Some people don''t like that because of how it looks, but I liked it because it meant I could swim/hang out in the ocean. I''m not a strong swimmer and the waves usually scare me
23.gif

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 10:28:29 PM
On my first trip to an all-inclusive in Mexico (one of the ones mentioned above), I and several people I was traveling with got sick. I also heard people at the airport on the way home who had stayed at our resort talking about having been sick. On that trip, I had avoided water/ice and fruit without a skin, but had not been strict about other food offered at the resort.

On my second trip to a different one, I didn''t get sick but a few others in my party did. I was very careful about my diet, pretty much eating only cooked or packaged things. I think those who got sick weren''t very careful (having ice in their mixed drinks, etc.)

So I agree that the food issue is something to keep in mind. But lots of people visit Mexico and don''t get sick too... and it''s not the end of the world, it just kind of puts a damper on things if you''re used to eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies (like I am) and then feel like you can''t for a week.

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Izzy!
We had our honeymoon at the end of this past September. We flew into Cancun, then took a car service to Playa de Mujeres. We stayed at the Excellence, and it was unbelievable. VERY secluded, not at all in the middle of the Cancun madness. We intended to go into Cancun at some point, but enjoyed our resort and the peaceful, romantic environment so much that we never did. One day it rained, and we did take the ferry to Isla Mujeres- really a cool experience. Fun little island with lots of local flair, cantinas (gotta try Las Brisas if you go), and shops. It was an easy quick trip that we just did for the afternoon.
If you''d like more info on Excellence, let me know. FWIW, my BIL/SIL went to Aventura Spa Palace and said from the looks of our pics it doesn''t hold a candle to the Excellence.
Good luck with your decision!

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
I am another Royal Cancun lover! We stayed there last March & it was the absolute best vacation I''ve ever been on. It was actually spring break when we were there but it wasn''t crazy or crowded at all at the resort, probably because it''s a bit pricier, adults only & caters to couples. The rooms were great, the hotel is beautiful, really good food, good service. I would go back in a heartbeat if we weren''t saving for the wedding! Oh, I so want to post pictures now...

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the comments guys! You have me so excited about Mexico! Sounds awesome! I do need to talk about the whole food issue with my fiance. No ice in the drinks? Ouch, I really need ice, I even put ice in my milk....

Hopefully the food/bevs at the all inclusives are a little "cleaner"

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I honestly think that the health issue can be hit or miss. I''ve been to two different resorts, never had a problem. I went with a group of 8 to the resort in Playa, none of them had a problem. Went with BF the second time, and we were both fine the whole week (and this is with ice in our drinks, etc.). Maybe we were just lucky, but just don''t drink the water from the tap. The resorts are pretty careful, I think, to use bottled water at the restaurants, for the ice, etc.

I do have to say that the Golden Parnassus in Cancun actually had really good food. The Catalonia - not so much - although they had this awesome crepe place there.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 9:37:05 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys! You have me so excited about Mexico! Sounds awesome! I do need to talk about the whole food issue with my fiance. No ice in the drinks? Ouch, I really need ice, I even put ice in my milk....

Hopefully the food/bevs at the all inclusives are a little ''cleaner''
I honestly dont know why some people get sick with the ice, im not so sure it is the ice.?
I have been to cancun i several times (noted above) and i always heard no ice in your drinks and the first time i went, we went to Snr Frogs one day for lunch, i had a captain and diet - ok 3, but NEVER got sick from the ice.
I am very careful with the no water, no fruit, etc etc.
but i never got sick and everytime i have been since then, i have had captain and diet at some point and always with ice.
I think you just need to be careful and watch what you eat. Last time we went FI got sick on the last day, but we know it was from some fruit he ate that had been out at one of the buffet''s for a few hrs!
40.gif

I always brush my teeth with bottled water (even though i really dont think you need to if you stay at a high end resort).
You get what you pay for, i guess.
good luck

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 8:44:53 AM
Author: iloveprincesscuts

Thank you for posting this, we can''t wait to go. I think we got the Royal Oceanfront Suite ! i can''t wait! Is there a gym, did you use the spa/?? YAY
hahaha! The gym....

to be honest, I didn''t even look for a gym! If you knew me, you would know why it''s hilarious that ANYONE would ask ME about a gym....I stay far, far away from gyms...I always get all sweaty and gross when I go to one...

The Spa was very nice, HOWEVER, if you are getting makeup done (like for a wedding), please make sure that you ask them specifically to NOT put any "sealer" on your face. The bride in this case had been laying in the sun for three days and didn''t LOOK sunburnt, but once they applied the sealer on top of her make-up, she said she felt a tingling sensation, but ignored it. That night when she was removing her make up, she noticed that she had tiny little blisters on her cheeks and forehead. By the morning, she had to go to a doctor and was diagnosed with second degree burns. The Spa didn''t do anything wrong, but they didn''t realize how overheated she was, because she didn''t LOOK sunburnt, but she was. They actually were really nice to her and gave her aloe vera treatments free of charge, but what a painful lesson.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I JUST got back from a DW in Playa del Carmen and I loved it! I haven''t been to Cancun to compare, but this was my 2nd trip to Playa. The first time, I stayed well out of town at the Mayan Palace, but this time we were right in the middle of the downtown area, 2 blocks off 5th Ave, right on the beach, and it was so much more fun. We stayed at a little tiny hotel, the Playa Palms, but it had a nice beach and a good room, but a wee tiny pool. The beaches are public though, so you could wander over to another one. Being right near the middle of everything was great... we walked to breakfast, lunch, even dinner. There were about 6 nightclubs/bars within a stone''s throw of the hotel, and when we left at 4 am to go to the airport, they were still going... we never really went out after dinner.... always tired! But it looked fun. A few of the bars had swings at the bars, rather than stools. Wanted to try that...

Restaurants on 5th Ave.:

We really enjoyed La Caprichoza. Went once for lunch and once for dinner.

breakfast: Cafe Tropical had really good omelets and smoothies. Sur had amazing chocolate chip pancakes.

Cafe Sasta had great great coffee.

We also went to Alux cave, as a big group. It was good, but service was exceptionally slow, prices were high and many of the entrees were teeny tiny. I was happy with mine, but would have liked to spend less. You pay for the ambience, and it was cool... Had it just been the two of us, I would have really liked it because we probably would have been tucked way back into the cave... but we were in the main room because there were 30 of us.

We did a booze cruise to Isla Mujeres... eh, the island looked amazing, the cruise was, um... childish? Some people seemed to really enjoy it, we didn''t. It was expensive, the weather was iffy, which made the boat rock a lot, and the food was not very good. We went because the bride went, but I would skip it.

Oh, and we had no problems with illness whatsoever. Our hotel room had a big water cooler in it, so we only drank the water from it. We didn''t have trouble with the ice anywhere either. Eat only in real restaurants (we didn''t buy from street vendors) and packaged foods if you need (our hotel had a minibar with good prices).

Have fun!

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
Hi Izzy,

I am getting married on April 19th and my fiance and I are going to "Cancun" for our honeymoon. I put it in quotations because we are really staying along the strip of landed named the Riveria Maya. I think it is about 30 min from the ariport and totally away from the city craziness of Cancun. We are staying at a brand new resort called Secrets Maroma. It just opened late last year and has gotten some great reviews. I am super excited to go relax, scuba, visit the ruins, etc....

I did a ton of research and the top places it seems that people stay in the Riveria Maya are the Excellence Riveria Cancun, Iberostar Grand and now Secrets Maroma. I think it all depends on your budget, but all three of these places are adult only, all inclusive. I went with Secrets Maroma over the Iberostar Grand because I wanted a GREAT beach and from what I read the last hurricanes destroyed a fair amount of the beach in front of the Grand. If you are going to a high end resort I wouldn''t worry too much about the water inside the resort. I know at the Secrets resort all the water is purified so the ice cube thing is not an issue, but they also provide bottled water for you to drink. This would most likely be true at any high end all inclusive.

There are some great online deals you can get... if you go in this direction let me know if you need the name of any of these sites.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results