shape
carat
color
clarity

Cancer Survivors... a question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hello Brave Triumphant Ladies!

As many of you know, my mom''s undergoing chemo for stage 4 thymus cancer. I was hoping you might pass along some advice about managing a particular side effect that is driving her nutty.

Basically, every time she thinks about drinking fluids, she gets nauseous, and it is really hard to keep down enough water. For some reason, it is more fluids than anything else making her queasy.

Any suggestions? Did any of you have this aversion to fluids with chemo? How did you overcome it?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Bumping this thread as it''s important!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Can she eat something like watermelon that is almost all water but still not in the liquid form?

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
awww sweetie. chemo''s a b*tch :(

My Mum had the same issue. She sucked on a lot of ice cubes. Sometimes I woud make OJ ones for her and she''d tell herself that once she had 3 regular ones, she could have an oj one. It gave her some incentive and something to focus on because she really liked the OJ cubes and if she knew she was going to get one it made her concentrate on getting the other ones down. it seemed to work for her for the most part.

Water-filled things are also good too like swingirl mentioned:

Most melons are heavily fluid filled. Cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon. Mmm. . . .

Mum found that when her mouth was really dry she got the most nauseated. Sometimes she''d eat lollipops to get the saliva going and then she''d be able to handle a little water.

Can your Mum handle tea? For some reason mine could and spent many a day drinking cuppas on the couch.

Good luck. (((hug)))

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ugh...so sorry to hear it. My 72 yo mom had stage 3b breast cancer and was totally blasted with treatment. She had the same issue. Anti-nausea meds helped her a little...but it did pass....She lost a ton of weight and the ensure shakes made her sick too...I don''t recall exactly what she did to stay hydrated....I''ll ask her...you can also google it and there will be a lot of repsonses bc it''s a very common side effect..I wish your mom luck...it''s a tough road.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Indy honey,

Yes, I had the same issues when I had ovarian cancer. I had the anti nausea meds, which helped me quite a bit. What I did was sip fluids through a straw. Has your mom tried that?? Just taking little sips through a straw, at least will help her get the fluids down.

I used to drink iced water, 7 up, iced tea, etc. with a straw. I hope this idea will help her.

Love, Linda

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and good wishes! I passed them all along to my mommy and she is going to systematically give them a go. Hopefully one or more will work for her.

She also sends her warmest thanks.
35.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indy, please give your dear mother a huge hug and a kiss for me. I do hope she feel better soon. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, Linda
xoxoxoxox

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yes! That''s it Linda...my mom used to drink through a straw too...I didn''t think of it until you mentioned it....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Would the smell of raw ginger help to quell her nausea so that she may drink? The other thing is to include "foods" that are really liquids--like jello, popcicles, ice cream--into her diet so she doesn''t get dehydrated. I know jello doesn''t sound like a meal but if the thought of a glass of water makes her sick, thn she could eat jello or popsicles/fudgcicles instead. Ice chips/cubes too.

cheers--Sharon

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother drank through a straw too. We also did lots of ice cubes---

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I''ve passed along your suggestions and good wishes to my mom. She seems to be having trouble locating straws, but i don''t know how hard she''s looking.
20.gif
I may just send her a box! But the ice cube thing and popsicles are helping. Plus, she''s just plain feeling better this week.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and wishes.

In more positive cancer news, my grandmother, who has survived three separate types of cancer and ALWAYS refused any chemo after her surgery has just been declared completely cancer free - again - after having her breast removed last year. She is 88 and strong as an ox! Go grandma!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results